What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm

The problem is that in order for realignment to happen now (read: Big 12 dissolving), you need each of the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 to feel they're gaining money. Finding a permutation that makes all 4 happy is nearly impossible. Pac-12 is going to need both Texas and Oklahoma to make any of their plans work. I don't see how the SEC can expand without Oklahoma. The B1G could probably be fine with Kansas/UConn, but it's not plan A. ACC would probably go along with any break-even plan that ends the Big 12.

Only path that seems possible to me is that when the GOR runs out:
- Pac 16 adds the Texhoma plan (Texas/TTU/OU/OSU)
- SEC adds TCU (DFW market) and Cincy (new market)
- B1G adds UConn/Kansas
- ACC adds WVU (reluctantly, but just does it to kill the Big 12) and Notre Dame (who is forced at gunpoint into a conference for football)
- Baylor, K-State, and Iowa St out.

Texas independence won't work it would kill Pac-12 expansion. Oklahoma to the SEC or B1G would kill Pac-12 expansion. TCU or Oklahoma to anywhere but the SEC would kill SEC expansion. UConn to the ACC would kill B1G expansion. Notre Dame staying in limbo keeps the ACC from expanding. There's a lot of ducks that have to get lined up in a row for the Big 12 to die.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » October 21st, 2016, 1:27 pm

For the B12 to die? Perhaps. For the B12 to remain a power conference? Not so much, I think. Not all of the above have to take place for the league to lose its fingernail grip as part of the P5. Pretty much only one of them would do it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » October 21st, 2016, 2:35 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:The problem is that in order for realignment to happen now (read: Big 12 dissolving), you need each of the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 to feel they're gaining money. Finding a permutation that makes all 4 happy is nearly impossible. Pac-12 is going to need both Texas and Oklahoma to make any of their plans work. I don't see how the SEC can expand without Oklahoma. The B1G could probably be fine with Kansas/UConn, but it's not plan A. ACC would probably go along with any break-even plan that ends the Big 12.

- B1G adds UConn/Kansas
- ACC adds WVU (reluctantly, but just does it to kill the Big 12) and Notre Dame (who is forced at gunpoint into a conference for football)

Texas independence won't work it would kill Pac-12 expansion. Oklahoma to the SEC or B1G would kill Pac-12 expansion. TCU or Oklahoma to anywhere but the SEC would kill SEC expansion. UConn to the ACC would kill B1G expansion. Notre Dame staying in limbo keeps the ACC from expanding. There's a lot of ducks that have to get lined up in a row for the Big 12 to die.

I don't think UConn is very high on the list for the B1G. I don't think they'll ever get Virginia, but they would inquire. Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma would all be ahead of UConn. I think the B1G is likely to get two of those before they'd have to go to UConn.

I don't think the PAC expands. Texas isn't giving up the LHN and as long as they have that none of the other conferences are taking them in. UT is more likely to go the Indy route and try to get a ND type deal with what remains of the XII or another conference.

OU would be a target of the SEC, but who would go with them is the question. TCU is possible because of DFW, although OU kind brings that market into play by itself plus it's a national brand. SEC could think outside the box and try to bring KU with OU. SEC basketball could use a KU/UK matchup every year and while KU football is bad, it gives the western SEC an easy win and brings in another national brand in basketball. Though I believe KU prefers the B1G. Though they would revive the Border War with MU. The SEC would also absolutely own the KC market with MU and KU.

Tech needs Texas if it's going anywhere else. So they're either stuck in a weaker/rebuilt XII or they end up in the MWC.

TCU might be able to get into the SEC but I wouldn't guarantee anything. I doubt the PAC would be interested, especially without UT.

Nobody will want to touch Baylor. Way too much baggage and I'm sure they'll have another controversy in the next 5 years. They'll be lucky if the AAC would take them in.

OSU would need to be able to tag along with OU into the SEC but I doubt that would happen. But I'd say there's a very slim chance. Of course the PAC might be an option if both OU and UT went.

KSU would be in the MWC if the XII died. KU won't leave unless the XII is falling apart and not just with rumors. If UT or OU or both leave, KU will have the green light to ditch KSU. KSU isn't getting into one of the other P4's.

Iowa State is a solid school. Football has moments but is usually bad. Basketball is good. It's in the AAU but the only conference that really makes sense in the B1G and they already have Iowa. They'd end up MWC/AAC.

West Virginia would be destined for the AAC. My understanding is they've applied to the SEC a few times and basically been laughed at. I don't think the ACC would want them either.

If the XII survives (kinda), it would be without OU, UT and KU. The conference would be getting a much lower TV contract which would make it more difficult for them to pull from the AAC I would think. The AAC should get a better deal when they're up in a few years. The MWC has a poor media deal which might allow for the remaining XII schools to pull in a few from there, but I wouldn't call that a guarantee. That conference is a lot less desirable without the big 3. It's not a horrible conference, but it's not a power conference either. There's no way BYU is interested without UT/OU.

Both the MWC and AAC can still expand if they choose, but they're no longer under fire to do so quickly. They can take their time and decide what's best for them. See if there's anyone out there that they feel makes them stronger. There's no need for either to rush into things.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSpringsBird » October 22nd, 2016, 12:21 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The problem is that in order for realignment to happen now (read: Big 12 dissolving), you need each of the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 to feel they're gaining money. Finding a permutation that makes all 4 happy is nearly impossible. Pac-12 is going to need both Texas and Oklahoma to make any of their plans work. I don't see how the SEC can expand without Oklahoma. The B1G could probably be fine with Kansas/UConn, but it's not plan A. ACC would probably go along with any break-even plan that ends the Big 12.

- B1G adds UConn/Kansas

I don't think UConn is very high on the list for the B1G. I don't think they'll ever get Virginia, but they would inquire. Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma would all be ahead of UConn. I think the B1G is likely to get two of those before they'd have to go to UConn.

I don't think the PAC expands. Texas isn't giving up the LHN and as long as they have that none of the other conferences are taking them in. UT is more likely to go the Indy route and try to get a ND type deal with what remains of the XII or another conference.

OU would be a target of the SEC, but who would go with them is the question. TCU is possible because of DFW, although OU kind brings that market into play by itself plus it's a national brand. SEC could think outside the box and try to bring KU with OU. SEC basketball could use a KU/UK matchup every year and while KU football is bad, it gives the western SEC an easy win and brings in another national brand in basketball. Though I believe KU prefers the B1G. Though they would revive the Border War with MU. The SEC would also absolutely own the KC market with MU and KU.

Tech needs Texas if it's going anywhere else. So they're either stuck in a weaker/rebuilt XII or they end up in the MWC.

TCU might be able to get into the SEC but I wouldn't guarantee anything. I doubt the PAC would be interested, especially without UT.

Nobody will want to touch Baylor. Way too much baggage and I'm sure they'll have another controversy in the next 5 years. They'll be lucky if the AAC would take them in.

OSU would need to be able to tag along with OU into the SEC but I doubt that would happen. But I'd say there's a very slim chance. Of course the PAC might be an option if both OU and UT went.

KSU would be in the MWC if the XII died. KU won't leave unless the XII is falling apart and not just with rumors. If UT or OU or both leave, KU will have the green light to ditch KSU. KSU isn't getting into one of the other P4's.

Iowa State is a solid school. Football has moments but is usually bad. Basketball is good. It's in the AAU but the only conference that really makes sense in the B1G and they already have Iowa. They'd end up MWC/AAC.

West Virginia would be destined for the AAC. My understanding is they've applied to the SEC a few times and basically been laughed at. I don't think the ACC would want them either.

If the XII survives (kinda), it would be without OU, UT and KU. The conference would be getting a much lower TV contract which would make it more difficult for them to pull from the AAC I would think. The AAC should get a better deal when they're up in a few years. The MWC has a poor media deal which might allow for the remaining XII schools to pull in a few from there, but I wouldn't call that a guarantee. That conference is a lot less desirable without the big 3. It's not a horrible conference, but it's not a power conference either. There's no way BYU is interested without UT/OU.

Both the MWC and AAC can still expand if they choose, but they're no longer under fire to do so quickly. They can take their time and decide what's best for them. See if there's anyone out there that they feel makes them stronger. There's no need for either to rush into things.

I don't think the Big 10 presidents are likely to approve any school that is not a member of the American Assoccasion of Universities, which is an invitation-only group of the nation's universities with the most intensive research activities. That would rule out Oklahoma and Connecticut. The Big 10 was interested in Notre Dame in the past, even though it is not an AAU member, but it is viewed as an almost certain addition to the AAU in the future (and it would bring more to the league than other potential non-AAU members). Nebraska was an AAU member when it was offered admission to the Big 10, but it was later booted out. Not sure whether the presidents would have approved its admission if they had known that was in the cards.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » October 22nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

WSpringsBird wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

- B1G adds UConn/Kansas

I don't think the Big 10 presidents are likely to approve any school that is not a member of the American Assoccasion of Universities, which is an invitation-only group of the nation's universities with the most intensive research activities. That would rule out Oklahoma and Connecticut. The Big 10 was interested in Notre Dame in the past, even though it is not an AAU member, but it is viewed as an almost certain addition to the AAU in the future (and it would bring more to the league than other potential non-AAU members). Nebraska was an AAU member when it was offered admission to the Big 10, but it was later booted out. Not sure whether the presidents would have approved its admission if they had known that was in the cards.

Nebraska was on its way out and the B1G was well aware of that. They were allowed in anyway because of their football brand. OU is recognized as a strong school academically even if it's not in the AAU and I would bet that the B1G would be interested in having them for everything else they present. The B1G has other options as well. But if they want 16 and aren't going to get Virginia, they might settle with OU and their lack of AAU membership. If OU gets to pick between the B1G and the SEC, I'm not sure what they'd choose. They are the two powers in football which is OU's sports focus. Basketball is better in the B1G and the academic reputation is better in the B1G. But you're right about the B1G history with AAU, but the Nebraska situation opens the door for OU.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » December 15th, 2016, 1:05 pm

AAC to consider Wichita State as a basketball addition per reports.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » December 15th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Good bye WSU.

If calls aren't made to SDSU and NDSU then we may as well shut the valley down. The private schools can join the f****** Horizon League. MSU can beg all they want for Sun Belt. UNI, ISU, ISU and SIU could make a push to the Summit (those 4 plus the summit is better than the Valley sans WSU) or UNI makes a MAC push and the others figure it out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » December 15th, 2016, 2:01 pm

I hate to think that Elgin and the presidents would let this happen without putting up a fight (i.e.going after some great basketball schools in an effort to keep WSU), but unfortunately, that seems to be the modus operandi in the MVC. Those fans out there who say "good riddance" to the Shockers should stop and think - losing the only nationally relevant program in the MVC (on a yearly basis) just makes the MVC more competitive with the OVC for most pointless Midwestern conference. Is that going to help YOUR program? Yes, it might mean a better shot at the conference title, but does that mean anything in a conference of nobodies?

This would be a horrible development, if it comes to pass. Yes, the Valley will survive, but in the late-80's, early-90's form, only worse. Winning a Shockerless MVC title will still make you conference champs, but it won't mean anything outside of your own trophy case.

All the MVC schools should be striving to follow the Shocker model, not trying to get rid of it.

All hail mediocrity!!! :dance:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AceMatt » December 15th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Milwaukee would be a strong candidate to replace Wichita
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » December 15th, 2016, 2:22 pm

AceMatt wrote:Milwaukee would be a strong candidate to replace Wichita

It's a fair question to ask if a MVC minus Wichita St and Creighton are really any better than the Summit, Horizon, OVC. What would attract schools to the Valley?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball