What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby SubGod22 » March 2nd, 2016, 5:48 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
BradleyBrave wrote:New Mexico St and Oral Roberts? Create an east and a west?

EAST

Bradley
Illinois St
Indiana St
Loyola
Southern Illinois
Evansville

WEST

Drake
UNI
Missouri St
Wichita St
Oral Roberts
New Mexico St

18 games - home-and-home against divisional opponents, 1 game against each of the other division opponents.

Would work for me.

Only 16 conference games? :x

It would allow Evansville two more SWAC opponents.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BradleyBrave » March 2nd, 2016, 6:51 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:

EAST

Bradley
Illinois St
Indiana St
Loyola
Southern Illinois
Evansville

WEST

Drake
UNI
Missouri St
Wichita St
Oral Roberts
New Mexico St

18 games - home-and-home against divisional opponents, 1 game against each of the other division opponents.

Would work for me.

Damn Bradley math again...yeah that was a mistake.

Screw it, no divisions. 18 game schedule.
"At some point in the near future, we're going to have a team out there competing for championships" - Geno Ford, November 9, 2011.
BradleyBrave
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 2nd, 2016, 8:50 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:

EAST

Bradley
Illinois St
Indiana St
Loyola
Southern Illinois
Evansville

WEST

Drake
UNI
Missouri St
Wichita St
Oral Roberts
New Mexico St

Would work for me.

It would allow Evansville two more SWAC opponents.

Now that made me spit on my computer screen! Hilarious!!!

I like the symmetry of having the 2 divisions, but would rather have 18 games. I think divisions would be the only way you could get it accomplished. I just think you would be hard pressed to get an agreement from UE unless there were stipulations like @ WSU or @NMSU- but not both in the same year.

And conference affiliation matters for softball, baseball, volleyball, etc.

UE announced today they are renovating an on-campus arena for future women's games in a cost-saving measure. I just think they would balk at flying.

Just a thought- would flying men's and women's teams on the same flight to NM for a
Saturday afternoon/night double header be low rent? Or does that make fiscal sense?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UEACES80 » March 4th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Take Valpo and get rid of Evansville. Problem solved. :P[/quote]

How nice -- well if Wichita does get too big for the MVC and leaves I wish them as much success as Creighton.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shocktheheart » March 4th, 2016, 8:12 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Take Valpo and get rid of Evansville. Problem solved. :P

How nice -- well if Wichita does get too big for the MVC and leaves I wish them as much success as Creighton.[/quote]

Too late already too big. Check out the attendance this weekend compared to the rest of the conference.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby oklahomamick » March 17th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Valpo would be a good basketball addition. Many Valpo fans feel that too many RPI anchors in the conference play kept them from getting an at-large this year. Before conference play, Valpo RPI was top 20. After defeating UIC by 20 at home, the RPI dropped more than 20 spots.

Valpo has won 4 out of last 5 conference championships in the HL.
oklahomamick
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby isumvc1 » March 17th, 2016, 3:40 pm

oklahomamick wrote:Valpo would be a good basketball addition. Many Valpo fans feel that too many RPI anchors in the conference play kept them from getting an at-large this year. Before conference play, Valpo RPI was top 20. After defeating UIC by 20 at home, the RPI dropped more than 20 spots.

hindsight is always 20/20 and nothing against Loyola, but Valpo would have been a MUCH better addition to the MVC at this point.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby oklahomamick » March 18th, 2016, 8:58 am

From what I understand Valpo did not get the offer over Loyola due facilities and being in the Chicago market. I hope it's not too late to add Valpo. Valpo fans and I imagine administrators (although they have been very professional and politically correct) and very upset with LeCrone and the HL. LeCrone change the venue of the tournament over night to a "neutral" sight in the same city as two of the members. Way too many RPI anhors that kill any chance of a good team getting an at-large bid. Valpo would leave for MVC, the question is would the MVC add Valpo?
oklahomamick
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby SubGod22 » March 18th, 2016, 10:05 am

If the MVC went to 12, Valpo wouldn't be the worst add. What public school would be brought in with them? My guess, with how the MVC seems to think, would be between 4. UIC to double down on Chicago. SIU-E to kinda sorta get in on STL. UMKC because of the KC part. Or Omaha, because it's Omaha?
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 18th, 2016, 10:10 am

isumvc1 wrote:
oklahomamick wrote:Valpo would be a good basketball addition. Many Valpo fans feel that too many RPI anchors in the conference play kept them from getting an at-large this year. Before conference play, Valpo RPI was top 20. After defeating UIC by 20 at home, the RPI dropped more than 20 spots.

hindsight is always 20/20 and nothing against Loyola, but Valpo would have been a MUCH better addition to the MVC at this point.

In the short term...maybe...but for the long term I think Loyola was a much better choice because of a variety of factors other than just basketball. Valpo is on a great run the past few years but is very similar to Evansville in a lot of respects. The Aces were on quite a run too when they joined the Valley but have had very little success with their movement up to the MVC.

I am not trying to knock Evansville but they are the smallest school in the Valley with a limited fan base and budget. Valpo is only slightly larger so they could struggle with the same issues once the Drew run ends.

If the Valley is going to raid the Horizon league again I would be more intrigued by UW-Milwaukee than Valpo.
Again for a variety of more positive long term factors other than just basketball success.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball