What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby LMS » March 23rd, 2016, 7:02 am

municup14 wrote:Hey snaggeltooth,the money the Creighton gets moving to the Big East is a lot.
But look at the added expence they have with all the travelling.Also, its not
about the money they make,its making the NCAA.I bet right now that if Creighton
doesnt make the NCAA the next 3 years in a row Mc Dermoutt will be shown the
the door..Not every team has the luxery as Wichita does have as in millions of
dollars to run a basketball program. :bounce:

I haven't stopped by in a long time and wasn't surprised to find a discussion that tangented to Creighton. First of all, great job by the Valley in the NCAA. I cheered loud for you guys.

Second, Creighton couldn't be more ecstatic about being in the Big East. Please understand it wasn't a money grab, but an opportunity to align with peer institutions - the C7 along with Xavier and Butler. That alone would have been enough. Having a TV deal where virtually every game is televised which helps with recruiting and university exposure is the icing on top.

As far as the hoops program, our first year in the Big East was a success. Top 10 team and NPOY. Last year was a rebuild and this year we were on the NCAA bubble until the final weekend. We hope and expect to be in the NCAA tournament in 2017. Plus, we are just now starting to realize the impact of being in the Big East on recruiting - Justin Patton Top 50 recruit plus Marcus Foster eligible next season. And our 2017 class looks amazing so far including a Top 50 recruit from Oak Hill and Mitchell Ballock who turned down an offer from Kansas.

Good luck to the MVC. Deep down, I know a lot of us miss the fun at Arch Madness but please don't for a second think the Big East move was a negative for us. We certainly don't.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » March 23rd, 2016, 7:31 am

You were nowhere near the NCAA bubble...don't flatter yourself.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 23rd, 2016, 7:37 am

Snaggletooth wrote:for all you running through the various scenarios - Elgin did a interview and said the MVC has no plans to expand and will stay at 10. He also said he he believe the conference membership stable and nobody will be leaving for at least the next 5 or 6 years (I wonder how he got that number - but assume he just implying there is nothing out their on the horizon - who knows in 5).

Elgin has said for years the MVC would stay at 10. That's no surprise, but it also doesn't mean it's the smartest thing for the conference.

And he has no clue what kind of stability there is until Wichita finishes its study and figures out what it's going to do. Maybe he figures we add football but it'll take 5 years to move.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » March 23rd, 2016, 9:05 am

uniftw wrote:You were nowhere near the NCAA bubble...don't flatter yourself.

This.

You were on the bubble of beating Loyola though.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 23rd, 2016, 9:53 am

LMS wrote:
municup14 wrote:Hey snaggeltooth,the money the Creighton gets moving to the Big East is a lot.
But look at the added expence they have with all the travelling.Also, its not
about the money they make,its making the NCAA.I bet right now that if Creighton
doesnt make the NCAA the next 3 years in a row Mc Dermoutt will be shown the
the door..Not every team has the luxery as Wichita does have as in millions of
dollars to run a basketball program. :bounce:

I haven't stopped by in a long time and wasn't surprised to find a discussion that tangented to Creighton. First of all, great job by the Valley in the NCAA. I cheered loud for you guys.

Second, Creighton couldn't be more ecstatic about being in the Big East. Please understand it wasn't a money grab, but an opportunity to align with peer institutions - the C7 along with Xavier and Butler. That alone would have been enough. Having a TV deal where virtually every game is televised which helps with recruiting and university exposure is the icing on top.

As far as the hoops program, our first year in the Big East was a success. Top 10 team and NPOY. Last year was a rebuild and this year we were on the NCAA bubble until the final weekend. We hope and expect to be in the NCAA tournament in 2017. Plus, we are just now starting to realize the impact of being in the Big East on recruiting - Justin Patton Top 50 recruit plus Marcus Foster eligible next season. And our 2017 class looks amazing so far including a Top 50 recruit from Oak Hill and Mitchell Ballock who turned down an offer from Kansas.

Good luck to the MVC. Deep down, I know a lot of us miss the fun at Arch Madness but please don't for a second think the Big East move was a negative for us. We certainly don't.

You had 1 year with King Dougie still on board to give you false security in that conference. We will see the future outlook for success of your program in terms of NCAA trips here in the next few years.

As for your current recruiting status, yes it's better than it was in the MVC. However, you aren't facing those types of MVC recruits anymore. So, on paper, it might look better....but you are on a level or even inferior level playing field against teams like Villanova who are recruiting at or above your current state.

Being king of the mountain in the MVC with recruiting (ala Wichita) is one thing, but narrowly improving recruiting in a conference who regularly gets 3-4* recruits makes it a challenge to become relevant long term.

Personally, I'd take Gonzaga's approach all day every day -- 18 straight NCAAs sounds nicer to me than occasional trips with mediocrity in your conference. We will see what happens.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » March 23rd, 2016, 11:30 am

There's no reason to think Creighton can't be successful in the big east but it's going to be a different type of success. Instead of conference championships it might be more 10-8 type mediocre seasons which in a better league can still equate to NCAA bids.

Back to the thread. When is WSU going to announce their committee findings about conference membership?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » March 23rd, 2016, 12:44 pm

Ali wrote:There's no reason to think Creighton can't be successful in the big east but it's going to be a different type of success. Instead of conference championships it might be more 10-8 type mediocre seasons which in a better league can still equate to NCAA bids.

Back to the thread. When is WSU going to announce their committee findings about conference membership?

The Bardo has said that he should have some solid numbers to present about all our options around the end of the school year. Those will be presented and evaluated and we'll take it from there. The committee isn't doing anything on conference membership, it's evaluating our athletic department and what we should do there. Conference membership will be dictated by those decisions to some degree. Meaning if we choose to bring back football, and add other sports, we will be seeking membership elsewhere as the MVC doesn't play FBS football and that is the stated goal should football return to Wichita.
www.wheatshockers.com

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
Elgin has said for years the MVC would stay at 10. That's no surprise, but it also doesn't mean it's the smartest thing for the conference.

I agree - if the right schools become available why limit yourself.

And he has no clue what kind of stability there is until Wichita finishes its study and figures out what it's going to do. Maybe he figures we add football but it'll take 5 years to move.

WSU will not add football at any level. WSU is able to what they do in basketball because they don't have football draining resources.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 23rd, 2016, 6:03 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:WSU will not add football at any level. WSU is able to what they do in basketball because they don't have football draining resources.

I certainly hope you're wrong as being in a two bid conference (in a good or lucky year) isn't the most desirable place to be.
www.wheatshockers.com

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dean Wormer » March 23rd, 2016, 10:05 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
I see, it better to watch everybody else in your conference go to the NCAA and live off the conference welfare than actually get to go to the NCAA tournament.
Isn't that how everyone in the MVC does it other than UNI/WSU?

Are you shocked that's the attitude you'd see from many MVC fans?

That comment came from Evansville only fans who have no hope for the next 10 years....don't bundle us all into that group although it's been a truthful statement since Creighton left.

Seriously? As long as Dan Muller is your coach, you will be lumped in that category.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball