What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Redhawk » March 24th, 2016, 6:49 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
Seriously? As long as Dan Muller is your coach, you will be lumped in that category.

So Dean...should ISUr fire Muller if they want to get to the dance sooner? Is that how they crack the code after almost 20 years?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 24th, 2016, 8:10 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
That comment came from Evansville only fans who have no hope for the next 10 years....don't bundle us all into that group although it's been a truthful statement since Creighton left.

Seriously? As long as Dan Muller is your coach, you will be lumped in that category.

Dan has some in game coaching problems sure, but the guy can recruit. If we didn't lose Reggie Lynch to transfer or his top assistant to a tragic plane crash, we have a great chance this past year of making the tournament. We will have many more chances in the next 10 years to make the NCAA Tournament than UE will and I'll bet you on that one Dean.

Dan Muller > Marty Simmons

Dana Ford > Dan Muller (who I wish we had as our coach)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 24th, 2016, 8:15 am

Not sure if Muller is their answer or not. He can recruit talent, the questions are how well can he coach and develop talent and can he keep from having mass defections. Sometimes talent alone will win you games, but I do think he has made at least some progress in the other fields. Is it enough? Will it be enough?

Evansville needs a new coach. Drake might need a new coach, I want to see what he does this next year. MSU probably needs a new coach. Loyola I believe needs a new coach. Indiana State might be coming up on a change. I like Lansing, but I have questions.

All of those are probably more in need of a change at the top than the Birds right now.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 24th, 2016, 8:18 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
That comment came from Evansville only fans who have no hope for the next 10 years....don't bundle us all into that group although it's been a truthful statement since Creighton left.

Dan has some in game coaching problems sure, but the guy can recruit. If we didn't lose Reggie Lynch to transfer or his top assistant to a tragic plane crash, we have a great chance this past year of making the tournament. We will have many more chances in the next 10 years to make the NCAA Tournament than UE will and I'll bet you on that one Dean.

While I agree to a point that Muller can recruit he recruits simply talented kids. Not necessarily kids who will work and do whatever it takes to win. You can see it at points when the team just quits on him. Something isn't going well and they quit. Plus you mean to tell me Muller had nothing at all to do with Lynch transferring?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 24th, 2016, 8:36 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Plus you mean to tell me Muller had nothing at all to do with Lynch transferring?

Muller had nothing to do with Lynch leaving. He went to a higher profile school in his home area that
he always dreamed of playing for. Even his uncle who was a Gopher great thought he should have stayed
at ISU for better success!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » March 24th, 2016, 8:59 am

If you're throwing ISU in the same boat as EU right now you're crazy.

Muller is trending up. His in-game coaching is improving (which was by far his weakest aspect), and his recruiting has been very consistent on the quality of athlete coming in the front door. Improve in-game coaching a little more, and stop the early exits out the back door, and ISU is dancing within the next 2 years.

Can't say the same about EU.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » March 24th, 2016, 9:01 am

The problem is that Lynch isn't the only player who was playing significant minutes to bolt out of Normal for greener pastures. While Lynch may have left for bigger opportunities, the coaching staff can make a big difference in whether or not a player like that stays or goes.

If Muller can keep the band together this offseason, it would be a step in the right direction.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » March 24th, 2016, 9:13 am

LanceShock wrote:The problem is that Lynch isn't the only player who was playing significant minutes to bolt out of Normal for greener pastures. While Lynch may have left for bigger opportunities, the coaching staff can make a big difference in whether or not a player like that stays or goes.

If Muller can keep the band together this offseason, it would be a step in the right direction.

So true....also Moore (SMU), Hill (Purdue), Ekey ( Illinois), Ziesloft (Indiana.)
Of those players though I would say that Muller was only a factor for Johnny Hill.

These were major blows which ruined any continuity though. Might happen again with Hawkins
because he is always such a wildcard!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 24th, 2016, 9:37 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

While I agree to a point that Muller can recruit he recruits simply talented kids. Not necessarily kids who will work and do whatever it takes to win. You can see it at points when the team just quits on him. Something isn't going well and they quit. Plus you mean to tell me Muller had nothing at all to do with Lynch transferring?

Absolutely not. All about his dream to play for his home state Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Muller is also finally realizing he can't just recruit athletes, he needs basketball minds like he was when he played. Some of his current recruiting targets reflect that.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 24th, 2016, 9:42 am

I think Illinois St is a lurking giant. If nothing else, Muller actually understands the concept of SoS unlike Jankovich and seem to have the right goals and the right plan to reach their endgame.

If Evansville couldn't get to the bubble in this year, of all years, it's never going to get there. A memo to all teams: when it's your turn to be one of the top teams in conference, you need to convert those chances into NCAA units, with wins and schedules. You need to pass that final exam. Wichita and UNI get this. Illinois St appears to know the lesson and is going to be taking that test soon. Evansville failed the test.

Of course, it would also help if some teams (Bradley, Drake) could actually get in a position to take that test instead of crashing their cars through the classroom.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball