What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Aargh » December 12th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Bardo's announcement that WSU is looking is unusual, to say the least. Schools have typically kept their intentions under wraps at the stage that WSU seems to be at in looking at other conferences.

The two most likely conferences for WSU are the MWC or the AAC. Both conferences are playing with 11 basketball schools and 12 football schools. WSU as a basketball only would make sense for those conferences.

This is totally off the wall. I have no no info to indicate it's happening, and I have no info of any men in black suits, helicopters, or sealed envelopes. One explanation for Bardo's transparency on this issue could be that talks have happened and either the AAC or the MWC has an interest in discussions, but they want to know WSU's long-term plans on football.

Perhaps if WSU had an interest in restoring football, those leagues might jettison their football only members and bring WSU in. If WSU has no interest in restoring football, that would create a different situation for those leagues.

The unusual announcement from Bardo came just a few days before Elgin arrived in town for a couple of days.

WSU evaluating football makes no sense unless something is going on. Maybe there's an indication of some donor $$. Or maybe Bardo is doing the evaluation so that conversation can be ended once and for all.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby lime » December 14th, 2015, 3:58 pm

to be honest, I could see either of them. Wichita doesn't have a ton in common with most of the current MVC schools. Culturally they probably fit better with Memphis/Cincinnati type schools. 12 teams is a huge pain for scheduling, so I could see the AAC being interested.

the 11 schools thing holds true with the MWC as well, but I think football might be more likely there, Hawaii football's future has been the subject of speculation. it's a really difficult job and travel is a pain, so it isn't inconceivable that they drop football as an affiliate and Wichita steps in as a 12th full member at some point.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 14th, 2015, 5:00 pm

What I found interesting is that Wichita did ping the Mountain West about a spot but it didn't go nowhere. That was the non-football move I thought had a chance of happening.

As for football, I see this as due diligence and little more. If there ever was a time to make the financial commitment, it would be now, but even then the math seems tight.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RoyalShock » February 3rd, 2016, 1:57 pm

RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » February 3rd, 2016, 2:57 pm

RoyalShock wrote:I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' . . . Some interesting tweets from our university president today:

https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/sta ... 6874415104

https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/sta ... 6737353728

https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/sta ... 5689025536

Good luck with that.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2016, 4:17 pm

I saw one of the best Shockers ever...Prince McJunkins against ISUr in Hancock stadium
back in 1982. It would be great to welcome WSU back to the new Hancock stadium....but its
sounds like they are aiming a lot higher!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 3rd, 2016, 4:24 pm

Redhawk wrote:I saw one of the best Shockers ever...Prince McJunkins against ISUr in Hancock stadium
back in 1982. It would be great to welcome WSU back to the new Hancock stadium....but its

I think very few people have any idea what the hell is really going on.

The president going public with stuff like this does make you think they are taking a very serious look at things though.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » February 3rd, 2016, 5:40 pm

I respect President Bardo, and I think he's done and will continue to do amazing things with the University, but this football thing is a headscratcher.

Why say anything? We're NOT going to add football. It makes zero sense. I just don't get it at all.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » February 3rd, 2016, 5:49 pm

Redhawk wrote:I saw one of the best Shockers ever...Prince McJunkins against ISUr in Hancock stadium

IMO, WSU is doing its due dillegence, but anybody can look and see there is no conference calling that is better than this conference.

I don't see football being brought back either - look what happening with baseball attendance with that program struggling because it losing. I would take back my comments if WSU was getting into the B12.....but that aint happening.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » February 3rd, 2016, 5:52 pm

2livewu wrote:I respect President Bardo, and I think he's done and will continue to do amazing things with the University, but this football thing is a headscratcher.

Why say anything? We're NOT going to add football. It makes zero sense. I just don't get it at all.

I think he is doing it just so people will be paying attention. Sports draws interest and media attention to what he is doing on the bigger scale. That is my theory.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball