What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby unipanther99 » March 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am

What does the MLB Network have for programming in the off-season, and what kind of ratings do they get? It seems odd, but I've often wondered if a partnership involving college basketball wouldn't be a good option for that network. It's widely carried on all major cable/satellite platforms. They have play-by-play talent and other necessary broadcast infrastructure. I'd have to think a live Valley basketball game 2-3 nights a week would draw better than a repeat of the 1996 Home Run Derby.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » March 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
municup14 wrote:How did conference realignment workout for Creighton
this year.Can you say NIT.A lot of times its better to be the
big fish in a small pond,not just another l scavenging for food. :bounce:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hmmm. The Big East signed a TV deal for $500 million. An NCAA tournament appearance game share is worth approx. $1.5 million each.

2014: 4 NCAA tournament teams (Creighton was one of them), 6 game shares
2015: 6 NCAA tournament teams, 11 game shares
2016: 5 NCAA tournament teams (1 still alive), 9 game shares

I'd say they are quite OK with their decision to switch conferences.

I can't stand Creighton as much as the next guy, but let's be honest. There's no reason to worry if the ex-wife misses you. She's moved to a nicer house, lost some weight, and doesn't regret it for a minute.

I see, it better to watch everybody else in your conference go to the NCAA and live off the conference welfare than actually get to go to the NCAA tournament.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 22nd, 2016, 11:24 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
I see, it better to watch everybody else in your conference go to the NCAA and live off the conference welfare than actually get to go to the NCAA tournament.
Isn't that how everyone in the MVC does it other than UNI/WSU?

Are you shocked that's the attitude you'd see from many MVC fans?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 22nd, 2016, 11:44 am

uniftw wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Isn't that how everyone in the MVC does it other than UNI/WSU?

Are you shocked that's the attitude you'd see from many MVC fans?

That comment came from Evansville only fans who have no hope for the next 10 years....don't bundle us all into that group although it's been a truthful statement since Creighton left.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » March 22nd, 2016, 12:06 pm

Redhawk wrote:I know this is a long shot...but it's the only move that could propel the MVC upward.

False. The Valley would be better off if certain schools would pull their heads out of their asses and actually try to better themselves. Do that, and then MAYBE down the road depending on what happens where, you could potentially get an SLU or something to join. But there's no incentive for them to do so when a number of schools are just sitting on their thumbs. I know some schools have financial issues that keep them on their thumbs, but the MVC is not that attractive to any school that has some strength from a similar level conference. Not that the A10 is similar, they're currently kicking our asses as a group.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 22nd, 2016, 12:30 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
Redhawk wrote:I know this is a long shot...but it's the only move that could propel the MVC upward.

False. The Valley would be better off if certain schools would pull their heads out of their asses and actually try to better themselves. Do that, and then MAYBE down the road depending on what happens where, you could potentially get an SLU or something to join. But there's no incentive for them to do so when a number of schools are just sitting on their thumbs. I know some schools have financial issues that keep them on their thumbs, but the MVC is not that attractive to any school that has some strength from a similar level conference. Not that the A10 is similar, they're currently kicking our asses as a group.

Agreed...several teams need to up their game considerably to get the conference up from 13th nationally back in the top 10 again where there would be more comparable to the A10. It's not for lack of trying for the majority of these teams. ISUr is trying hard....just can't seem to get over the hump because of player defections but on the basis of recruiting and scheduling...they are doing all they can within NCAA rules.

Several teams just made bad hires or were loyal to a coach for too long that set their programs back severely. Some are on their way back. Hopefully they will continue to improve their rosters and schedules
to the benefit of the whole league.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » March 22nd, 2016, 8:23 pm

for all you running through the various scenarios - Elgin did a interview and said the MVC has no plans to expand and will stay at 10. He also said he he believe the conference membership stable and nobody will be leaving for at least the next 5 or 6 years (I wonder how he got that number - but assume he just implying there is nothing out their on the horizon - who knows in 5).
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 22nd, 2016, 9:11 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:

Nice strawman argument you got there.

And my hope is that UE only has one more year of settling for mediocrity. Or is it martiocrity?
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 22nd, 2016, 9:15 pm

I think the only lobbying Elgin is doing is to secure himself a job in the Summit League. He's pretty much allowed the inmates to run this asylum into the abyss.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby municup14 » March 23rd, 2016, 4:41 am

Hey snaggeltooth,the money the Creighton gets moving to the Big East is a lot.
But look at the added expence they have with all the travelling.Also, its not
about the money they make,its making the NCAA.I bet right now that if Creighton
doesnt make the NCAA the next 3 years in a row Mc Dermoutt will be shown the
the door..Not every team has the luxery as Wichita does have as in millions of
dollars to run a basketball program. :bounce:
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball