What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 24th, 2016, 2:05 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:I think Illinois St is a lurking giant. If nothing else, Muller actually understands the concept of SoS unlike Jankovich and seem to have the right goals and the right plan to reach their endgame.

If Evansville couldn't get to the bubble in this year, of all years, it's never going to get there. A memo to all teams: when it's your turn to be one of the top teams in conference, you need to convert those chances into NCAA units, with wins and schedules. You need to pass that final exam. Wichita and UNI get this. Illinois St appears to know the lesson and is going to be taking that test soon. Evansville failed the test.

Of course, it would also help if some teams (Bradley, Drake) could actually get in a position to take that test instead of crashing their cars through the classroom.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

This is hilariously true. Love the analogy.

This year's Evansville team reminded me of the Vince Vaughn speech from Swingers - "Like a big bear with claws and fangs, and kept saying how do I kill this bunny? But they're just batting it, and can't figure out how to kill it."
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » March 24th, 2016, 2:55 pm

uniftw wrote:I hate this card...but here it is...

There have been plans in place to completely re-do the dome for a while with funding pretty much 100% found for it. The new AD came in and has said "make it bigger" and is pushing for other facilities plans to be made bigger/better. Based on what I've heard from a handful of places if WSU wants to start football and it takes a few years to get it going they very well may have a partner...let's leave it at that.

By all means go big if you have the money and a plan. Couple questions for you though:

1) UNI averages about 12K per game which is less than capacity. If you "make it bigger" can you fill it?

2) Where would UNI go? The MAC would be the most logical option.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » March 24th, 2016, 3:28 pm

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:Let's put it this way - if WSU decides football is coming back to their campus there will be two MVC openings in 5-8 years.

Two? Will UNI decide they are too good for the conference then as well or is that just your thinking again?

I hate this card...but here it is...

There have been plans in place to completely re-do the dome for a while with funding pretty much 100% found for it. The new AD came in and has said "make it bigger" and is pushing for other facilities plans to be made bigger/better. Based on what I've heard from a handful of places if WSU wants to start football and it takes a few years to get it going they very well may have a partner...let's leave it at that.

Any idea on how much bigger they can make it? I believe it holds around 17k for football as is, having the option for more is a good thing. Especially if a jump to FBS can be made.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » March 24th, 2016, 5:41 pm

I always scratch my head when people suggest Lansing is failing. I know the Trees aren't world beaters but when was the last time ISU went an extended period without being in the cellar?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » March 25th, 2016, 7:19 am

bleach wrote:I always scratch my head when people suggest Lansing is failing. I know the Trees aren't world beaters but when was the last time ISU went an extended period without being in the cellar?

Even some Tree fans are ready, or close to it, for a change. He hasn't done much at ISU outside of a couple of years with Odom. Granted, it's kind of like MSU with Hinson, they are pretty much getting what they pay for, and that's not a championship team. But that didn't stop MSU from moving on. But he will assure them mostly a middle of the pack finish every year and if he gets lucky with a hometown kid again maybe he'll find a couple of years to compete for more. I think he's benefitted the past few years from a down Valley though.
www.wheatshockers.com

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 25th, 2016, 7:51 am

Redhawk wrote:
By all means go big if you have the money and a plan. Couple questions for you though:

1) UNI averages about 12K per game which is less than capacity. If you "make it bigger" can you fill it?

2) Where would UNI go? The MAC would be the most logical option.

1. Doesn't matter if it can be filled. Have you ever watched a non-P5 game...hell, even about half of those P5 games. The average this year past year was skewed because of a playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend. The playoffs will almost always screw attendance numbers when you are playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving when students are gone. Based on what I've heard we'd have better home games to draw a casual fan than Indiana State, Western Illinois, etc...

2. UNI isn't going anywhere on it's own. It, right now, is quite dependent on a few things. MAC is a non-starter because of basketball. Many things could cause this to not happen. This isn't a MSU envolop situation. This is a "things and extra funding are in place should a could things go the right way" situation. It could end up being for nothing but there is a rather specific plan in place.

SubGod22 wrote:Any idea on how much bigger they can make it? I believe it holds around 17k for football as is, having the option for more is a good thing. Especially if a jump to FBS can be made.

Somewhere between 27-30k is the projected size. It's tough because of the fact it can't have endzone seating. Connected to the south is the McLeod Center and connected on the north is the REC Center. The reality is to add 10k seats isn't super easy but it's only 5-6k per side. Potentially adding some curve to the endzone sections plus a handful of rows to each side accomplishes that. It would be a major overhaul, but it can be done as it was going to get a major overhaul to begin with which would keep it about the same size. Keep in mind, the UNIDome is already bigger than Idaho's KibbieDome, UNC-Charlotte's stadium, and is the same size as UMASS's stadium. Getting it to 26-30k would keep it from being the smallest in CUSA, MWC, MAC, and Sun Belt.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » March 25th, 2016, 8:25 am

What are you talking about? I've heard none of what you are suggesting is "in the works."

Yes, they want to upgrade the Dome, but I will be shocked if this means anything other than club seating, restrooms, turf, and amenities. There is literally no way you could structurally ad 10-15K seats to that place without taking off the roof and completely re-engineering the whole thing. You're taking like a $100 Million project there.

The bottom line is none of that would even be technically required should an opportunity to jump to FBS fall in our laps. The focus should be (and is--- as far as I know) on upgrading the current building to maximize fan experience and revenue.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Redhawk » March 25th, 2016, 8:38 am

uniftw wrote:1. Doesn't matter if it can be filled.

So what is the point of trying to almost double capacity if no one
will use the seats...more Luke Bryan concerts?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » March 25th, 2016, 8:53 am

Redhawk wrote:
uniftw wrote:1. Doesn't matter if it can be filled.

So what is the point of trying to almost double capacity if no one
will use the seats...more Luke Bryan concerts?

I think his point was if they expanded it would be to move up to FBS. In which case, they'd probably have more attractive games which will typically sell more tickets. It doesn't hurt to have more than necessary for most games if you might need them from time to time.

I know Wichita loves having sellouts every game for basketball, but I'd love to have The Chuck with more seats even if it led to a few missed sellouts from time to time.
www.wheatshockers.com

SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 25th, 2016, 9:06 am

unipanther99 wrote:What are you talking about? I've heard none of what you are suggesting is "in the works."

Yes, they want to upgrade the Dome, but I will be shocked if this means anything other than club seating, restrooms, turf, and amenities. There is literally no way you could structurally ad 10-15K seats to that place without taking off the roof and completely re-engineering the whole thing. You're taking like a $100 Million project there.

The bottom line is none of that would even be technically required should an opportunity to jump to FBS fall in our laps. The focus should be (and is--- as far as I know) on upgrading the current building to maximize fan experience and revenue.

There are renderings of the dome that are a few years old at this pint that do, nearly exactly what you said wouldn't happen.

IMG_20141205_234155_zps91yioyl1.jpg
IMG_20141205_234155_zps91yioyl1.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

IMG_20141205_234139_zpszfi57d6u.jpg
IMG_20141205_234139_zpszfi57d6u.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

IMG_20141205_234159_zps1rb1h9l1.jpg
IMG_20141205_234159_zps1rb1h9l1.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball