College Sports Madness Top 144 Preview

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: College Sports Madness Top 144 Preview

Postby saluki762 » August 1st, 2014, 8:57 am

saluki762 wrote:
Wufan wrote:Because they finished Valley play with a 7-3 record with the 3 losses being @ UNI, @ ISUb, and @ WSU. Because Beane was their best player during that stretch. Because three freshman starters were inserted during that stretch. Because they addressed their biggest weakness (size). To me, SIU moves into the thick of the Valley...that puts them somewhere between 4th and 8th.

I guess I am still in a wait and see pattern. Reports from summer workouts are that this is a great group of freshman that was brought in (of course I imagine that is what every teams fans are saying).

I really had no expectation until year 4 of Hinson. He still gets a small pass on schedule and results from me this year. Next year there better be improvement in both scheduling and end of year results though.
Also feel like I should add that Beane was our best scorer during that stretch. DJ was still the better all around player.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » August 1st, 2014, 6:31 pm

SIU and Evansville should really excell in 2015-16. This is the year that builds to the winner.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » August 1st, 2014, 6:37 pm

Wufan wrote:SIU and Evansville should really excell in 2015-16. This is the year that builds to the winner.
I agree with SIU being good in 15-16. I think the record could suffer this year because of so many new faces. They will again be a team no one wants to play in Arch Madness though.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » August 2nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

Wufan wrote:It's hard to figure out where ISUb will end up. If Marty starts Wing at the 4 this year, he should be fired on the spot.

+5 1/2.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » August 3rd, 2014, 8:36 pm

Sort of catching up:

If UE finishes on Thursday, I'm probably ready to bid Simmons adieu. Possible exceptions if the MVC ends up being unexpectedly awesome or the difference between 4th place and 7th place is one game.

Wufan wrote:If Marty starts Wing at the 4 this year, he should be fired on the spot.

Where do you see Wing playing? Backup 4 behind Wiley? Maybe a starting 3? For me, given a choice between Wing or Simmons I'd probably toss a coin.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » August 4th, 2014, 5:07 am

pafan wrote:Sort of catching up:

If UE finishes on Thursday, I'm probably ready to bid Simmons adieu. Possible exceptions if the MVC ends up being unexpectedly awesome or the difference between 4th place and 7th place is one game.

Wufan wrote:If Marty starts Wing at the 4 this year, he should be fired on the spot.

Where do you see Wing playing? Backup 4 behind Wiley? Maybe a starting 3? For me, given a choice between Wing or Simmons I'd probably toss a coin.

I don't know where Wing fits in exactly. Wiley should start at the 4 because he is a 4. Wing can play some back-up 4 as necessary, or start at the 3 if he beats out lil Simmons. I imagine there will be some serious competition between Simmons, Wing, Brzoja, and Stafford for minutes. Perhaps Balentine will also decrease his mpg to something less than 38.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesrmyteam » August 4th, 2014, 6:34 am

5) Mock - Howard
4) Wiley - Moore
3-1/2) Brzoja
3) Simmons - Wing
2) Balentine - Stafford
1) Gibson - Brown

Can't wait to see this group on the floor. and if DJ starts out on fire like he did last year i'd give him 38 min, but it doesn't look like he will have to.
acesrmyteam
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ACECARD » August 4th, 2014, 9:33 am

Wufan wrote:
pafan wrote:Sort of catching up:

I don't know where Wing fits in exactly. Wiley should start at the 4 because he is a 4. Wing can play some back-up 4 as necessary, or start at the 3 if he beats out lil Simmons. I imagine there will be some serious competition between Simmons, Wing, Brzoja, and Stafford for minutes. Perhaps Balentine will also decrease his mpg to something less than 38.

C'mon, in a race between the four above mentioned players, do you really think that the coaches son wouldn't win? He started last year, and I hope he starts this year. Brzoja is the better rebounder, but Simmons is the better scorer. Brzoja is probably more suited for the 4 spot, but I doubt he would beat out Wiley. He will probably see minutes at 2, 3, and 4. This is all predicated on the fact that I have not seen Wiley, Stafford, or Brzoja play one single minute. I hope Marty is up to the task of managing 8 or 9 guys who should get a lot of playing time.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird23 » August 10th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Bears came in today at #91 overall and #5 in the MVC
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » August 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm

That surprises me somewhat. I'm assuming it will be SIU, but one of Drake, Bradley, Loyola, or SIU will be picked ahead of the Bears.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball