NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Casey I hope it doesn't come to pass but this ruling could raise the cost of football astronomically. That could (and maybe should) force some changes at MSU and other mid tier schools like us.

The renovations are impressive though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » August 10th, 2014, 10:04 pm

The question teams with football will face is not what they can do to keep out of the red, the only programs able to do that don't face any of these looming issues. They're already sitting pretty and will continue to. These other programs have to weigh all of the costs and benefits of having these athletic programs before choosing to act. I would hope all of us aren't looking at this issue as, "What does 'X' university have to do to keep sport 'Y' in the black?" The economics of running an athletic program go way beyond a single ledger or budget for a university. While plenty of schools are losing money on football from a budgeting standpoint I would bet they would stand to lose even more if they went and dropped the programs completely as a result of this set of decisions. College football has grown exponentially in popularity over the past few decades and for some programs, even if they are smaller FCS schools, their football team is a great tool for generating recognition and interest in their school. Not to mention the benefits and donations that those programs can receive, earmarked to be used solely by that football, basketball team, etc... I'm preaching to the choir at this point though.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » August 11th, 2014, 8:32 am

The critique shouldn't be directed towards various posters and their ideas and vision, but rather at the P5 for doing what it can to make non-BCS conferences irrelevant.

For those with football and expenditures that come with that, will you still feel it worthwhile when your fellow Valley teams WSU, Bradley, and LUC are able to pay more to maintain a level field for college basketball and the UNIs, and MSUs simply can't keep up in the MoVal arms race and wind up consistently on the bottom?
Will those schools without football depart to form a more powerful public school equivalent of a nBE?

It sucks since I was always a supporter of football returning to WSU and the Shox leaving for the MWC or AAC.
Not anymore. The landscape has changed. Look for many more schools to drop football in the coming years.
Hope I'm wrong, but don't see any other options.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PantherSigEp » August 11th, 2014, 10:27 am

Veritas wrote:The critique shouldn't be directed towards various posters and their ideas and vision, but rather at the P5 for doing what it can to make non-BCS conferences irrelevant.

For those with football and expenditures that come with that, will you still feel it worthwhile when your fellow Valley teams WSU, Bradley, and LUC are able to pay more to maintain a level field for college basketball and the UNIs, and MSUs simply can't keep up in the MoVal arms race and wind up consistently on the bottom?
Will those schools without football depart to form a more powerful public school equivalent of a nBE?

It sucks since I was always a supporter of football returning to WSU and the Shox leaving for the MWC or AAC.
Not anymore. The landscape has changed. Look for many more schools to drop football in the coming years.
Hope I'm wrong, but don't see any other options.

If the expenditures get to a point where UNI wasn't able to field competitive teams in any sports then I think having a conversation about cutting programs might be warranted. However I think it's going to take a lot of really awful years and financial losses for UNI to get to that point. They have been one of the MVFC's top programs for several decades and the university stands to lose exponentially more by cutting football than it did with other non-revenue sports like baseball, men's swimming and men's soccer over the last 2 decades.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 18th, 2014, 1:58 pm

unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby saluki762 » August 18th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Illinois State's AD released his official stance today as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyRHAvfA6Eg
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GrandpaBear » August 18th, 2014, 3:47 pm

unipanther99 wrote:UNI AD's take on the NCAA changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQc5dos ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing that. The question then becomes what if the Power 5 do move away from the NCAA tournament and have their own like SI.com hypothesized that they will? Then schools like UNI are screwed both financially and recruiting against Iowa and IA State as Dannen said,.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby unipanther99 » August 19th, 2014, 7:11 am

GrandpaBear wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:UNI AD's take on the NCAA changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQc5dos ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing that. The question then becomes what if the Power 5 do move away from the NCAA tournament and have their own like SI.com hypothesized that they will? Then schools like UNI are screwed both financially and recruiting against Iowa and IA State as Dannen said,.

Obviously that would be bad. My understanding is that the recent vote is a compromise that will (for the foreseeable future) prevent that from happening. Nothing is set in stone and things can change quickly, but it sounds like we are doing what we can. Obviously if someone wants to endow a billion dollars to the conference, that would be fine too.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball