NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Postby MoValley John » August 10th, 2014, 9:36 am

glm38 wrote:Well at least we have firmly established who and what you are. A short term MVC fan who is also a dick (again your word regarding yourself not mine).

As someone with a long-standing interest in MSU and Valley basketball - I'll look forward to the day when you no longer care.

Awesome!!! And I can't wait to see the Shockers leave, the Valley crumble, the Sun Belt add Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State join GPAC.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 9:51 am

MoValley John wrote:
glm38 wrote:Well at least we have firmly established who and what you are. A short term MVC fan who is also a dick (again your word regarding yourself not mine).

As someone with a long-standing interest in MSU and Valley basketball - I'll look forward to the day when you no longer care.

Awesome!!! And I can't wait to see the Shockers leave, the Valley crumble, the Sun Belt add Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State join GPAC.

One word for you - pathetic.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 10th, 2014, 10:29 am

MVJ is fan of college athletics who lives in Omaha. He is not a CU fan. Living in Omaha, he has had a lot of exposure to the MVC and follows it pretty closely. MVJ is what the Valley needs. People who aren't big fans of any of the member institutions who follow Valley sports. The more of those there are, the more revenue becomes available to the schools.

Anyone who follows the Valley closely will notice that some programs struggle to fund athletics and apparently can't afford to keep successful coaches. Other schools seem to have better donor support and better-funded athletic departments. Right now WSU is "filthy rich" compared to most of the rest of the league.

That economic disparity is going to become the elephant sitting in the corner of the room when the Valley tries to figure out how to handle the recent NCAA decisions and court decisions.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 10:40 am

I totally disagree Aargh. He just admitted he has no long term vested interest in the MVC.

I think pretty much everyone realizes that currently there is a vast difference in WSU and the rest of the Valley in both finances and performance. Given that obvious fact there is no value in his trolling and disparaging remarks regarding the rest of the MVC.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » August 10th, 2014, 10:54 am

WSU will do what it can to keep up with the arms race and how it pertains to basketball. What do the MoVal schools do that also field a football team? Go in debt? Throw in the football towel? State funding? Raise student fees? Tap into private donations?

This new change will not allow MoVal schools to remain competitive on a MBB national level if they also field a football team. Something has to give.
Will the MoVal encourage schools to limit their football funding and use those badly needed resources to enhance their MBB programs?
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 10th, 2014, 11:44 am

More than anything, I see this as the death of football outside of the power conferences. For schools currently playing FBS, they will have to drop down and there is no chance of teams moving up. Perhaps it will make FCS more competitive and financially viable, but more likely it will cause many FCS teams drop it all together to participate competitively in other sports.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 10th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Veritas wrote:WSU will do what it can to keep up with the arms race and how it pertains to basketball. What do the MoVal schools do that also field a football team? Go in debt? Throw in the football towel? State funding? Raise student fees? Tap into private donations?

This new change will not allow MoVal schools to remain competitive on a MBB national level if they also field a football team. Something has to give.
Will the MoVal encourage schools to limit their football funding and use those badly needed resources to enhance their MBB programs?

Yep. Yep and yep. And what happens when schools like Iowa, Minnesota, Indiana and Mizzou start using " fiscal responsibility" arguments as a means to get state funding for your programs cut? Those schools would prefer that your school didn't even compete in D-1. The fact of the matter is this, all of these schools relied on state funding for athletics. They did so for decades, but with the conference TV package, they are suddenly rich. Now they can be "responsible" to the tax payers and demand the board of regents, governors, or whatever they call them in your state, cut aid to athletics or eliminate it entirely. Don't kid yourself, the board of regents are usually stacked with members from the big state school. They don't want you competing with the big university, either.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 10th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Wufan wrote:More than anything, I see this as the death of football outside of the power conferences. For schools currently playing FBS, they will have to drop down and there is no chance of teams moving up. Perhaps it will make FCS more competitive and financially viable, but more likely it will cause many FCS teams drop it all together to participate competitively in other sports.

Dropping football would probably be the smart thing.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Wufan wrote:More than anything, I see this as the death of football outside of the power conferences. For schools currently playing FBS, they will have to drop down and there is no chance of teams moving up. Perhaps it will make FCS more competitive and financially viable, but more likely it will cause many FCS teams drop it all together to participate competitively in other sports.

That could definitely be the way this ultimately plays out. That will definitely be a tough decision for some schools though. For instance MSU recently spent a large amount of money renovating our football stadium. Maybe not a great decision in light of this development but hindsight is always 20/20.

I do see the value in a football program but not at the expense of sucking the athletic budget dry.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » August 10th, 2014, 7:06 pm

glm38 wrote:That could definitely be the way this ultimately plays out. That will definitely be a tough decision for some schools though. For instance MSU recently spent a large amount of money renovating our football stadium. Maybe not a great decision in light of this development but hindsight is always 20/20.

I do see the value in a football program but not at the expense of sucking the athletic budget dry.

Those improvements to Plaster will do us well now and for many, many years to come. We need to be proud of our commitment to football and not let the schools where homecoming happens at a men's soccer game let us feel shamed by it! Football is much more of an asset than it is a detriment to MSU. The NCAA ruling did nothing to change that.

I applaud you glm38 in your efforts to stand up to MVJ. You have to understand that you just cannot rationalize with someone like that. He is the personification of that ex-girlfriend who always has to come by and remind you how much better she is doing now with Dwayne. You just have to nod your head, say "That's neat" and quietly go about your business.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball