NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2014, 6:22 am

Elgin believes we will be unified as a conference in supporting mens and women's basketball.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » August 8th, 2014, 6:30 am

MVCfans wrote:
glm38 wrote:Here's another article on the subject:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... 29514300=1

MSU AD:
Moats said it would be up to individual schools in a conference like the Missouri Valley whether to follow along with the cost of attendance, a portion of it or give none at all. He said his belief is that schools in the Valley, being a basketball-centric league, would do all they could to fund the additional costs for men's and women's basketball players.

Maybe it doesn't need to be a league in it's entirety, but schools can individually make the decision?

Conferences will have the ability to follow the rules implemented by the power five. Schools within those conferences that choose to adopt power five rules can, but do not have to fund full cost of attendance. In other words, Elgin is eluding to the fact that the Valley will follow the direction of the power five and believes most schools in the Valley will pony up.

On the other hand, if a school is in a conference that doesn't adopt rules implemented by the power five, that school cannot unilaterally choose to pay full cost of attendance. This is where it gets dicey. If enough Valley schools find out that they cannot afford full cost of attendance, in an effort to stay competitive in the league, they could vote to not allow full cost of attendance for all.

I would expect all Valley schools to jump on board at the onset. I don't expect all 10 schools will be as enthusiastic about it in five years. Another consideration is the power five want to add two scholarships to basketball, plus, the full cost of attendance number is expected to rise over the next few years. When the cost of keeping up with the big boys jumps from a few hundred grand to over a million, what are schools like Evansville to do?

Yes, the power five fully expect to expense smaller schools out of the game.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 8th, 2014, 9:07 am

I'm not really sure why you are picking on Evansville? Have they reduced their men's basketball budget in recent years? Has any MVC school?

This isn't going to be chump change, but it's not going to break the bank either. MVC/A-10/MWC/WCC schools understand the value of continuing to compete at this level in terms of exposure for their university, and will come up with what's necessary. If cost of attendance starts to blow up any conferences, I really think that line will be drawn below our level. Summit, Horizon, WAC... Who knows. But those conferences are already very volatile.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Aargh » August 8th, 2014, 9:39 am

Mountain West would consider adding a basketball-only school. See the last paragraph.

http://gazette.com/mountain-west-commissioner-craig-thompson-doesnt-fear-five-high-resource-conferences-under-most-circumstances/article/1534188

This is the first time the commissioner of the MWC has said anything other than they are not considering expansion under any circumstance. Gonzaga fits their footprint better, but WSU seems to fit the type of university in the conference better.

When the athletic wars are being waged over dollars, programs that appear able to contribute dollars will become attractive to suitors who want dollars.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 8th, 2014, 10:14 am

unipanther99 wrote:I'm not really sure why you are picking on Evansville? Have they reduced their men's basketball budget in recent years? Has any MVC school?

This isn't going to be chump change, but it's not going to break the bank either. MVC/A-10/MWC/WCC schools understand the value of continuing to compete at this level in terms of exposure for their university, and will come up with what's necessary. If cost of attendance starts to blow up any conferences, I really think that line will be drawn below our level. Summit, Horizon, WAC... Who knows. But those conferences are already very volatile.

Just an example school and they are small. That said, I could really be a dick and mention that SIU is broke, Drake doesn't spend Money, Loyola is small with a small fan base, Missouri State had to sell cattle to keep athletics afloat, on and on and on. And while each fan base of each school is positive that their school can keep up with this spending increase, with as many schools that have already had financial problems in the past, do you really trust the others? Are you positive that your school can and will keep up when this balloons from a few hundred grand to a few million? If you are sure, you better be first in line to write the check (and a big check) without complaining.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » August 8th, 2014, 10:42 am

MoValley John wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I'm not really sure why you are picking on Evansville? Have they reduced their men's basketball budget in recent years? Has any MVC school?

Just an example school and they are small. That said, I could really be a dick and mention that SIU is broke, Drake doesn't spend Money, Loyola is small with a small fan base, Missouri State had to sell cattle to keep athletics afloat, on and on and on. And while each fan base of each school is positive that their school can keep up with this spending increase, with as many schools that have already had financial problems in the past, do you really trust the others? Are you positive that your school can and will keep up when this balloons from a few hundred grand to a few million? If you are sure, you better be first in line to write the check (and a big check) without complaining.

*Drake used to not spend money.
They're just finishing an 8+ million dollar practice facility and they're starting Gia's salary off at half a mil. The administration appears to be willing to pay to compete. Whether or not that level of dedication will remain for the long haul has yet to be seen.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2014, 11:00 am

I'm currently concerned about Bradley and SIU. If I understand correctly, they have overspent athletics earnings recently.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 8th, 2014, 11:42 am

Wufan wrote:I'm currently concerned about Bradley and SIU. If I understand correctly, they have overspent athletics earnings recently.

You can extend that to the entire state of Illinois.

I don't think ISUr is much better off, if at all.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 8th, 2014, 11:45 am

uniftw wrote:
Wufan wrote:I'm currently concerned about Bradley and SIU. If I understand correctly, they have overspent athletics earnings recently.

You can extend that to the entire state of Illinois.

I don't think ISUr is much better off, if at all.

Loyola has funding. Do they have interest?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 8th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I think the mistake here is believing that "full cost of attendance" will be the only change.

I'd look for school paid health insurance coverage (as opposed to catastrophic coverage currently provided by the NCAA). I'd also expect 24 hour unlimited meals, money for parents to travel to see their kids and various other perks which the big schools already can afford.

Could be off base, but it seems unlikely that schools that didn't want to spend much before this rule change suddenly will want to spend a lot. I'd think that schools will generally continue to take the same general mindset that they already had - they will either spend freely or continue to not want to spend much at all. I'd guess the MVC votes to allow schools to do whatever the Big 5 do just to avoid departures, but I am not convinced that all of the schools will undertake the additional spending.
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on August 8th, 2014, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball