NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » August 7th, 2014, 11:28 am

If the MVC didn't already feel like a second class citizen, we officially became one today. This cannot end well for us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... /13716349/
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » August 7th, 2014, 12:14 pm

The question is whether the MVC will vote to allow schools to do things like award scholarships for full cost of attendance, guarantee scholarships for 4 years, full health insurance coverage, etc. I feel pretty confident that Wichita will, but will anybody else? Will the conference allow each school to decide for itself or will it pass bylaws saying that a member cannot do certain things? Will/can the football schools spend any more money than they are currently spending?

IMO, the schools throughout the NCAA that are hit hardest by this will be those with football. The numbers are too crazy. Even for some power conference schools like the Iowa States, etc., the funds will eventually start to dry up, certainly when compared to their peers.

Next hit hardest will be the schools in more rural locations that lack big TV deals. Without big TV deals, attendance dollars are even more emphasized and schools in remote areas have a hard time drawing as big of crowds as schools in more urban centers.

Even though Creighton is now gone from the MVC, I still root for the conference to do well - too many years of devotion I guess.

Long term, I think this rule will lead to fewer college sports. The big schools are going to phase out the non-revenue sports in order to have more funds for the two sports that actually generate money. Sure, the schools like Texas and Ohio St may be able to keep full loads, but with the money grab being more important than ever, other schools will have to cut programs to compete. This is all very unfortunate because we will have fewer kids making it through college, simply because they had the tuition paid by scholarships in these nonrevenue sports.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 7th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Troy Dannen has said UNI will do what it needs to do to stay competitive with our peers in Men's Basketball (and I'm assuming Women's for Title IX). I don't think these sort of benefits will extend to football or other non-rev sports, with the possible exception of volleyball and maybe wrestling here, as we have been nationally competitive in those.

If you want to run track in the MVC or play FCS football, you're probably going to get what you're getting now and that's going to be it.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » August 7th, 2014, 4:45 pm

WSU has also made a loose commitment to stay competitive with the BCS schools.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 7th, 2014, 6:35 pm

From the article:

Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules.

That sounds like a league either adopts the same rules or doesn't, which would seem to take the option away from individual schools. If so, this could lead to another round of realignment.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 7th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Aargh wrote:From the article:

Leagues outside the Power Five can opt to adopt the same rules.

That sounds like a league either adopts the same rules or doesn't, which would seem to take the option away from individual schools. If so, this could lead to another round of realignment.

Yes, and yes.

The five conferences have the ability to enact rules that are for all five conferences. Individual conferences outside of those five can vote to enact none, some or any rule adopted by the five. Individual schools, except for independents, are bound to the rules adopted by their league. This will lead to more realignment. This is great for Wichita State as there will be other schools wanting to play with the big dogs. This will be great for Evansville as there will be other small schools with shorter travel looking to join the spot vacated by the Shockers.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 7th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Here's another article on the subject:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports ... 29514300=1
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 7th, 2014, 9:32 pm

MoValley John wrote: This will lead to more realignment. This is great for Wichita State as there will be other schools wanting to play with the big dogs. This will be great for Evansville as there will be other small schools with shorter travel looking to join the spot vacated by the Shockers.

I really don't see this changing our conference re-alignment prospects in any significant way. The same question for WSU would remain... Where would they go without football? As for the rest of the league, I think all 10 will be able to pony up the extra $200K a year for men's and women's basketball. As for the other sports, it really makes no difference.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » August 7th, 2014, 10:19 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
MoValley John wrote: This will lead to more realignment. This is great for Wichita State as there will be other schools wanting to play with the big dogs. This will be great for Evansville as there will be other small schools with shorter travel looking to join the spot vacated by the Shockers.

I really don't see this changing our conference re-alignment prospects in any significant way. The same question for WSU would remain... Where would they go without football? As for the rest of the league, I think all 10 will be able to pony up the extra $200K a year for men's and women's basketball. As for the other sports, it really makes no difference.

Possibly. Probably in the short term. What happens when three schools drop paying, then four.... and when it reaches six, those six vote to disallow paying cost of attendance? At that point, the other four have a choice, drop down or move. Preemptively, schools with money will probably start looking sooner rather than later. Opportunities not currently available could very possibly open up for Wichita State. Anyone in the Valley that believes they are permanently trapped in this conference are very short sighted.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 7th, 2014, 10:21 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the A-10 splinters over this, and I could see Wichita (and others) try and figure out a setup that gets all the best basketball-onlies together.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball