NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA vote is bad, bad news for the MVC

Postby MoValley John » August 9th, 2014, 8:38 pm

glm38 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I'm not really sure why you are picking on Evansville? Have they reduced their men's basketball budget in recent years? Has any MVC school?

This isn't going to be chump change, but it's not going to break the bank either. MVC/A-10/MWC/WCC schools understand the value of continuing to compete at this level in terms of exposure for their university, and will come up with what's necessary. If cost of attendance starts to blow up any conferences, I really think that line will be drawn below our level. Summit, Horizon, WAC... Who knows. But those conferences are already very volatile.

Just an example school and they are small. That said, I could really be a dick and mention that SIU is broke, Drake doesn't spend Money, Loyola is small with a small fan base, Missouri State had to sell cattle to keep athletics afloat, on and on and on. And while each fan base of each school is positive that their school can keep up with this spending increase, with as many schools that have already had financial problems in the past, do you really trust the others? Are you positive that your school can and will keep up when this balloons from a few hundred grand to a few million? If you are sure, you better be first in line to write the check (and a big check) without complaining.

You say "I could really be a dick and mention......" And then you do proceed to call out several Valley schools?? :roll: Real classy.

Okay, I'll stay classy right now and ask a serious, straightforward question. We've only seen the beginning of what is taking place. I posted an article regarding the O'Bannon decision. The article gave two opinions that should be of immediate and great concern to Valley fans. One, that the cost pure athlete will be around $5,000, not $1,800. Also, the O'Bannon decision is going to create another round of conference realignment. Does this not concern you?

Here are a few bonus questions, does the added expense of possibly $5,000 or more chill Missouri State fan's desire to jump to the Sun Belt, where they will undoubtedly have to pay football players, at the same time, jump to 85 scholarships?

Have you done the math of 85×$5,000?

Do you think the Power 5 are going to slow down the arms race?

Where are the additional funds going to come from?

If you want to point out that I'm being a dick, fine, but that doesn't change what is happening right now.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » August 9th, 2014, 11:19 pm

MoValley John wrote:
If you want to point out that I'm being a dick, fine, but that doesn't change what is happening right now.

The funny thing is I'm not the one that pointed out you were being " a real dick". Go back and read your original statement. Those were your words not mine. You outed yourself there.

Since Creighton left you come on here every once in a while and in general take trolling potshots at any of what you perceive to be lesser schools (or any MVC school not named WSU). And then you act surprised when fans and alumni of those schools take offense? What do you expect? Personally I think you are one of those guys that just delights in putting others down.

And I'm curious do you go on the new Big East message board and call out CU's other league members for their shortcomings? For instance DePaul's horrible fan support? Their attendance numbers were well below most MVC schools for MBB.

As far as your comments about MSU and the Sun Belt - all that is at this point is a rumor. Our AD has stated publicly that MSU is not at this time seeking membership in that conference.

Speaking for myself only - I'm not burying my head in the sand. I know these recent developments could have consequences. But I choose to believe MSU will find the necessary funds to stay competitive. At least in basketball. I couldn't care less about football although I do realize that funding football does affect our athletic dept as a whole.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 10th, 2014, 8:42 am

Interesting comments. First off, I haven't visited a Creighton message board in years. Not since Matt Pereault took ownership. I have never been on a Big East Message board. Not once. Never. So now that I've addressed your ad hominem, let's move on.

I mostly care about the Valley because I come from a large, athletic Midwestern Catholic family and have relatives that compete on Valley teams, be it Valley Pop Warner football, cross country and women's volleyball. I also have a nephew competing in baseball, but not in the Valley. For those keeping score, I have three relatives currently competing at three different Valley schools. My care regarding this issue is how it affects them. This will impact them. This whole discussion is centered around basketball and football, but all sports will be impacted. Your precious diving team could go away so the Bears can pay their football and basketball players. It could impact those divers. So how Evansville deals with this concerns me. How the great cowherd-selling Bears deal with this concerns me. What Drake does concerns me. Wichita State leaving concerns me. In two years, none of my relatives will be competing at Valley schools and I won't care. Until then, I'll be a dick when I see an issue of money possibly tanking this league, it concerns me. If I offend or upset you, it doesn't concern me.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 9:19 am

Well at least we have firmly established who and what you are. A short term MVC fan who is also a dick (again your word regarding yourself not mine).

As someone with a long-standing interest in MSU and Valley basketball - I'll look forward to the day when you no longer care.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » August 10th, 2014, 9:36 am

glm38 wrote:Well at least we have firmly established who and what you are. A short term MVC fan who is also a dick (again your word regarding yourself not mine).

As someone with a long-standing interest in MSU and Valley basketball - I'll look forward to the day when you no longer care.

Awesome!!! And I can't wait to see the Shockers leave, the Valley crumble, the Sun Belt add Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State join GPAC.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 9:51 am

MoValley John wrote:
glm38 wrote:Well at least we have firmly established who and what you are. A short term MVC fan who is also a dick (again your word regarding yourself not mine).

Awesome!!! And I can't wait to see the Shockers leave, the Valley crumble, the Sun Belt add Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State join GPAC.

One word for you - pathetic.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 10th, 2014, 10:29 am

MVJ is fan of college athletics who lives in Omaha. He is not a CU fan. Living in Omaha, he has had a lot of exposure to the MVC and follows it pretty closely. MVJ is what the Valley needs. People who aren't big fans of any of the member institutions who follow Valley sports. The more of those there are, the more revenue becomes available to the schools.

Anyone who follows the Valley closely will notice that some programs struggle to fund athletics and apparently can't afford to keep successful coaches. Other schools seem to have better donor support and better-funded athletic departments. Right now WSU is "filthy rich" compared to most of the rest of the league.

That economic disparity is going to become the elephant sitting in the corner of the room when the Valley tries to figure out how to handle the recent NCAA decisions and court decisions.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2014, 10:40 am

I totally disagree Aargh. He just admitted he has no long term vested interest in the MVC.

I think pretty much everyone realizes that currently there is a vast difference in WSU and the rest of the Valley in both finances and performance. Given that obvious fact there is no value in his trolling and disparaging remarks regarding the rest of the MVC.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » August 10th, 2014, 10:54 am

WSU will do what it can to keep up with the arms race and how it pertains to basketball. What do the MoVal schools do that also field a football team? Go in debt? Throw in the football towel? State funding? Raise student fees? Tap into private donations?

This new change will not allow MoVal schools to remain competitive on a MBB national level if they also field a football team. Something has to give.
Will the MoVal encourage schools to limit their football funding and use those badly needed resources to enhance their MBB programs?
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 10th, 2014, 11:44 am

More than anything, I see this as the death of football outside of the power conferences. For schools currently playing FBS, they will have to drop down and there is no chance of teams moving up. Perhaps it will make FCS more competitive and financially viable, but more likely it will cause many FCS teams drop it all together to participate competitively in other sports.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball