KCfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Thursday night teams?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Thursday night teams?

Postby lusuperfan » August 25th, 2014, 7:49 am

Probably Loyola, Bradley, Drake, and Evansville. I think the first 3 teams are just too young, and Evansville is playing for Marty's job which isn't a good sign. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of the ISUs replace one of those teams in the bottom four as well.
lusuperfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Cdizzle » August 25th, 2014, 11:27 am

Teams that can't possibly finish in the bottom 4 barring some sort of terrible tragedy no one wishes on any other sports team:
Wichita State
Northern Iowa

Teams that definitely shouldn't finish in the bottom 4 but have history that prevents me from putting them in category 1:
Evansville

Teams that could finish anywhere but no one in their right mind has a clue where that might be:
Missouri State
Illinois State
Indiana State
Southern Illinois
Bradley

Teams that should finish in the bottom 4, but have a slim chance of avoiding due to variances in categories 2 and 3:
Drake

Teams that can't possibly finish higher than the bottom 4 barring some sort of miraculous season that everyone should laud:
Loyola (the one in Chicago)
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » August 25th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Strongly suspect Drake, Loyola and Indiana State will be three of the four.
The fourth Thursday team is more of a crapshoot, but whichever of Illinois State, SIU and Bradley gets the least from their large crop of newcomers will probably also play Thursday.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jackwagon » August 25th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Is everyone banking on isub due to odum leaving? Since Lansing has been there they have always had a winning record. It could happen but many seem to think its a foregone conclusion
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » August 25th, 2014, 4:10 pm

jackwagon wrote:Is everyone banking on isub due to odum leaving? Since Lansing has been there they have always had a winning record. It could happen but many seem to think its a foregone conclusion

Don't see enough dynamic players on Indiana State, particularly in the backcourt and on the wing, to excel in an improved MVC this season. A core of Smith, Kitchell and Gant is pretty underwhelming. Maybe Smith can take a large step forward this year; he'll need to unless there are newcomers ready to play at a high MVC level off the bat, which is not something you want to count on.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » August 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I'd say Drake, Loyola, Indiana St, Bradley.

I'm only confident about WSU, UNI, Evansville, and Missouri State, though.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 25th, 2014, 4:39 pm

siudawgs wrote:
jackwagon wrote:Is everyone banking on isub due to odum leaving? Since Lansing has been there they have always had a winning record. It could happen but many seem to think its a foregone conclusion

Don't see enough dynamic players on Indiana State, particularly in the backcourt and on the wing, to excel in an improved MVC this season. A core of Smith, Kitchell and Gant is pretty underwhelming. Maybe Smith can take a large step forward this year; he'll need to unless there are newcomers ready to play at a high MVC level off the bat, which is not something you want to count on.

I would think that Smith/Kitchell/Grant is one of the better returning front courts in the conference. The back court is underwhelming, certainly, but Indiana State, to me, should be fine. They don't have as high a ceiling, but they have enough pieces to not fall completely apart. Speculation into Bradley, SIU, and Ill. St are all based on potential. All three of them could completely fall of the map.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 25th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I'd pick Bradley, Loyola, and Drake to play on Thursday. WSU and UNI to avoid…The other five teams are all at high risk.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » August 25th, 2014, 6:48 pm

The Thursday night race is shaping up to be an exciting time. :buddies:
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball