Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 9th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 9th, 2014, 11:35 am

Bradley
16%
Drake
58%
Evansville
10%
Illinois State
6%
Indiana State
7%
Missouri State
1%
Northern Iowa
No votes
Southern Illinois
1%
Wichita State
No votes

Total votes : 69

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Postby Aargh » September 4th, 2014, 9:25 am

Loyola and Drake were pretty easy picks for 9 and 10. After this it gets interesting.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » September 4th, 2014, 10:56 am

Aargh wrote:Loyola and Drake were pretty easy picks for 9 and 10. After this it gets interesting.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » September 4th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Might just be me, but i didnt think Arop was very good a lot of the time. He was a shot hunter who shot an average percentage at best. Look at his assist totals for how often he had the ball, not good. He had his moments, just think Smith will be able to replace him and then some.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 4th, 2014, 6:14 pm

jackwagon wrote:Might just be me, but i didnt think Arop was very good a lot of the time. He was a shot hunter who shot an average percentage at best. Look at his assist totals for how often he had the ball, not good. He had his moments, just think Smith will be able to replace him and then some.

Smith averaged 0.9 assists to Arop's 1.3. On a per 40 minute basis their stats are virtually identical. The question isn't whether or not Smith can replace Arop, but who will replace Smith.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 5th, 2014, 8:19 am

Wufan wrote:
jackwagon wrote:Might just be me, but i didnt think Arop was very good a lot of the time. He was a shot hunter who shot an average percentage at best. Look at his assist totals for how often he had the ball, not good. He had his moments, just think Smith will be able to replace him and then some.

Smith averaged 0.9 assists to Arop's 1.3. On a per 40 minute basis their stats are virtually identical. The question isn't whether or not Smith can replace Arop, but who will replace Smith.

Bingo, bango, boingo.

Arop also provided a matchup problem from a size/athleticism perspective, for most Valley teams. He did have a tendency to disappear at times, especially if anyone got physical with him. He was torching WSU last year with Early guarding him, and absolutely disappeared when Baker was moved on to him.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » September 5th, 2014, 2:59 pm

I agree the key is who replaces Smith. Odum being gone is an obvious blow and trying to find a 6th man like Smith is challenging. I was just mentioned that Smith will actually be a better all around player at the SF spot. For all the matchup problems arop could cause, smith is the same height and a better athlete.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jturner38 » September 5th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Wufan wrote:

I'm thinking Etherthington will fill the 6th man role and produce what smith gave us as the 6th man.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 5th, 2014, 5:45 pm

jackwagon wrote:I agree the key is who replaces Smith. Odum being gone is an obvious blow and trying to find a 6th man like Smith is challenging. I was just mentioned that Smith will actually be a better all around player at the SF spot. For all the matchup problems arop could cause, smith is the same height and a better athlete.

If that was your stance, then why mention assists?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » September 5th, 2014, 8:44 pm

mainly mentioned it to help prove my point that despite Arop being the number two ball handler and scoring option, he only averaged a minimal assist total. Therefore proving that he didnt make others better while on the floor.

Smith is going to take on a much bigger role in both scoring and handling the ball. He is now going from a guy who didnt start to the guy who the offense is ran through. If his assist totals stay around manny's then go ahead and kill me. ISUB should take a step back due to Odum being absent, but to think they dont have the talent to stay out of Thursday is far fetched. The front line is as experienced and talented as anyone's and there is unproven talent at the guard spot. The development of that talent will determine their success this season.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 5th, 2014, 9:04 pm

What makes you think that Smiths assist numbers will go up?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball