Question re: 2014 Freshman and Newcomers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Question re: 2014 Freshman and Newcomers

Postby Wufan » September 5th, 2014, 5:31 am

underdawg wrote:New Likely starters: 6'6" 235 PF Jordan Caroline; 6'8" 255 Center Ibby Djimde

Non-starters sig. minutes: 7'1" 245 Deng Leek; 5'11" 160 PG KC Goodwin

Bench: 6'8" 210 Austin Weiher; 6'3" 180 SG Deion Lavender

For SIU-C

You think Bola comes off the bench?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » September 5th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:I think BC misunderstood the intent of the original post, so I will try and clear it up with just our new players

Likely starter / major contributor:
Paul Jesperson 6'6" G Jr.- sat out last year at transferring from Virginia. Was a 2-year starter there, so highly likely he starts here, just don't know which guard he replaces

Non-starter, but will play significant minutes:
Bennett Koch 6'9" F RSFr.-the last of the Koch brothers, not sure I buy the 6'9" thing (taller) but will play in the post where we don't have as much depth
Wyatt Lohaus 6'2" G Fr.-our only incoming true freshman, if he doesn't redshirt, I expect him to play quite a bit

Bench player (<10 min per game):
Klint Carlson 6'7" F RSFr.-a good size body, but more of a big 3, small 4. May play more if he can show he can handle inside play
Robert Knar 6'1" G RSFr.-an "Ali-like" shooter but has had knee surgeries each of the last two years, may not be fully ready and we have depth in bunches with guards
There are two juco Jrs that are guards that will likely only see very spot minutes

Likely redshirt:

Yep, I botched it. Deleting now...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » September 5th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Evansville has not a freshman. They do have newcomers,

'Least but most helpful is Sergio Vucetic. A player to hone the skills of Mockevicius and that of RS So. Howard and Sr. Moore.

3 newcomers who are impact players off the bench or starters are
Juco AA Stafford
Juco AA Wiley
RS So Brzoja

Evansville returns 3 top scoring Juniors starters with 2 AA Jucos and a RS Jr 7'1"challenger in the paint with
6 Sophomores, 2 who were red shirted and 2 with starting positions.

Evansville is deep and yet young . Where or If the newcomers play, will make the Aces better.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 6th, 2014, 6:03 am

sixth ace wrote:
3 newcomers who are impact players off the bench or starters are
Juco AA Stafford
Juco AA Wiley
RS So Broja

This is why I like the Aces to make an immediate and dramatic leap forward in the standings. They have the best returning guard center combo in the Valley and return their other three staters, yet they should have a new stater at the power forward and could have a new starter at the wing and point, pushing the three starters from last year to reserve rolls. It will be interesting to see how the talent vs experience plays out in14-15.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » September 6th, 2014, 6:33 am

Wufan wrote:
underdawg wrote:New Likely starters: 6'6" 235 PF Jordan Caroline; 6'8" 255 Center Ibby Djimde

For SIU-C

I understand your question, and logically it seems Bola would start at center but starting Bola at the five spot and Caroline at Power forward would really give us a defensive height problem even though both are great rebounders---but Barry told me that there will be a lot of competition at 4-5 and that returnees will have to step it up or lose PT--- indeed, my two at 4-5 spots may be way off and Leek or Weiher may get minutes there.

Barry has closed practices, so until I see the new guys in formal action, I'm just guessing. Bola, Leek and Caroline I have seen in informal scrimmages and they can block shots and board. All need to work on Offensive moves but I'd say Caroline is the most efficient Offensively (with a good j-shot), thus a PF candidate in my mind
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 6th, 2014, 6:41 am

underdawg wrote:
Wufan wrote:

For SIU-C

I understand your question, and logically it seems Bola would start at center but starting Bola at the five spot and Caroline at Power forward would really give us a defensive height problem even though both are great rebounders---but Barry told me that there will be a lot of competition at 4-5 and that returnees will have to step it up or lose PT--- indeed, my two at 4-5 spots may be way off and Leek or Weiher may get minutes there.

Barry has closed practices, so until I see the new guys in formal action, I'm just guessing. Bola, Leek and Caroline I have seen in informal scrimmages and they can block shots and board. All need to work on Offensive moves but I'd say Caroline is the most efficient Offensively (with a good j-shot), thus a PF candidate in my mind

That's a good rotation of bigs, but I'm not sure where the points come from. My guess (fwiw) is Bola at the 4 with Caroline off the bench and Djimde starting at center.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 6th, 2014, 8:30 am

The Bears have 7 newcomers; 3 scholarship frosh, one preferred walk-on , 2 jucos, and a 6'7 football player walk-on practice body.

The two jucos will likely start or at least be in the top 8 rotation. Loomis Gerring is a 6'5 long, athletic forward who does a little of everything well and is a possible NOY type candidate. Cam Boone is a strong undersized 6'6 post who is an effective inside scorer and rebounder by using both hands and positioning to excel. He will need to be a contributor for us to be good and looks to do so. Smart and strong around the rim.

The three frosh are all very talented, but have 2 deep veterans in front of them and so it's difficult to predict their status. That said Chris Kendrix a 6'5 wing is pushing hard to be in the rotation if not the lineup. He is long, fast, and explosive, and needs only to become stronger, gain experience, and perhaps more consistency on his shot to be an impact player. Roundtree is a very skilled pg, but probably sits or rs behind Marshall and Williams this year. Thompson is a still growing bigger and stronger version of Weems, whose aggressiveness around the rim has been very impressive, but who has veterans like Gerring/Thurman/Kirk/ Mvouika to contend with.

Cam Maes is a 6'4 preferred walk-on who is competitive and skilled enough to be a back end rotation guy now and allow the redshirting of someone else this year if desired.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball