Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 8th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 15th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Bradley
41%
Evansville
4%
Illinois State
7%
Indiana State
29%
Missouri State
1%
Northern Iowa
No votes
Southern Illinois
14%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 69

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Postby pafan » September 10th, 2014, 4:46 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I've heard this said a fair amount lately and I really wonder if it's true. What does Bradley have that other schools don't? New facilities? Sort of with the women's/practice gym, but Carver is really starting to show it's age. Million dollar coach? Not as far as I can tell. Recruiting advantage? You might think so, but it doesn't seem to be paying off.

You forgot KABOOM
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » September 10th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Bradley, to me, is the key to the Valley ever gaining a consistent meaningful presence on the national scene.

I've heard this said a fair amount lately and I really wonder if it's true. What does Bradley have that other schools don't? New facilities? Sort of with the women's/practice gym, but Carver is really starting to show it's age. Million dollar coach? Not as far as I can tell. Recruiting advantage? You might think so, but it doesn't seem to be paying off. Do the television networks salivate over televising a basketball game in Peoria over Cedar Falls or Springfield? I doubt it. Is their budget bigger than other conference schools in some meaningful way? Not as far as I can tell.

They have some history, and that's great. But other than that --- why do we need them to be a consistent winner anymore than UNI, MSU, Drake, or the ISU's?

MBB Expenses:

WSU - $5.4M
Bradley - $3.8M
Drake -$2.6M
ISU Red - $2.4M
UNI - $2.4M
Loyola - $2.4M
Evansville - $2.3M
MSU - $2.1M
ISU Blue - $1.7M
SIU - $1.5M

SOURCE: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx

^^^Credit SHOCKvalue from a Shockernet thread^^^

Fan support. Money. You hit the nail on the head, they may not have a million dollar coach, but they were willing to shell out for that coach anyway. They are willing to spend money at a time of little success. If they can ever put together a winner and draw back their traditionally strong fan base, their budget would increase even more.

I'm not advocating that other programs aren't also important. A team like UNI finding a good coach that is willing to stick around at the salary they can afford is huge for the league. But that sort of program is going to be cyclical. It may not have terrible downs associated with a coaching change, but it seems pretty evident that UNI is going to be solid most years, and throw out a league and at-large contender every 3-4 years. The league needs a consistent presence in the T25, and I think Bradley, because of their realized and potential resources provide the next best option for that to happen.

Sorry but I'm not buying that a bigger Bradley budget will equal more success. They're already 2nd and as far as I can tell, still lagging behind just about everyone who isn't a private school. It's been that way for some time too
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 10th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Lots of magic left in Carver arena....left over from the Dick Versace days.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » September 10th, 2014, 8:34 pm

I've had Loyola 10th and Drake 9th, but I'm going with Illinois State here. I think Bradley has a lot of incoming talent and a good home court environment, Evansville has a great inside-outside tandem with more experience, and ISUb doesn't fall as far as most people think without Odum. Besides, ISUr is just about due for another unforeseen implosion-- ineligible/dismissed key player, last minute departure, scandal, etc. And I thought they played over their heads last year in a weaker overall league.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 10th, 2014, 9:24 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
MBB Expenses:

WSU - $5.4M
Bradley - $3.8M
Drake -$2.6M
ISU Red - $2.4M
UNI - $2.4M
Loyola - $2.4M
Evansville - $2.3M
MSU - $2.1M
ISU Blue - $1.7M
SIU - $1.5M

SOURCE: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx

^^^Credit SHOCKvalue from a Shockernet thread^^^

Fan support. Money. You hit the nail on the head, they may not have a million dollar coach, but they were willing to shell out for that coach anyway. They are willing to spend money at a time of little success. If they can ever put together a winner and draw back their traditionally strong fan base, their budget would increase even more.

I'm not advocating that other programs aren't also important. A team like UNI finding a good coach that is willing to stick around at the salary they can afford is huge for the league. But that sort of program is going to be cyclical. It may not have terrible downs associated with a coaching change, but it seems pretty evident that UNI is going to be solid most years, and throw out a league and at-large contender every 3-4 years. The league needs a consistent presence in the T25, and I think Bradley, because of their realized and potential resources provide the next best option for that to happen.

Sorry but I'm not buying that a bigger Bradley budget will equal more success. They're already 2nd and as far as I can tell, still lagging behind just about everyone who isn't a private school. It's been that way for some time too

Money doesn't equal success, but it offers greater opportunity for sustained/longer success. Bradley has history and a large fan base that will support a winner. Other than WSU, no one else can match Bradley on those indicators. Now, that doesn't rule out anyone from being successful for multiple years (SIU), or from having filled gyms (Evansville), or even from surpassing Bradley's potential, but if I'm picking one team today to put my money behind for long term success, it's Bradley.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Turner » September 11th, 2014, 11:00 am

I like Lansing, but the Sycs look like a Thursday night team.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball