PJS article: "Anxious Times in the Valley"

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » September 11th, 2014, 6:30 am

Nice article by Dave Reynolds summarizing many of the issues that we have discussed lately regarding the future of college athletics. Pretty sobering:

Bradley’s deficit situation is even bleaker. According to the BU Resources Committee report from April, Bradley athletics’ expenses soared 83 percent (from $5.5 million to $10.1 million) in the past decade, while revenues were up just 23 percent (from $3.4 million to $4.2 million).

The Bradley athletic department was $5.9 million in the red each of the last three years, the report said. That’s nearly three times Bradley’s athletic deficit of $2.08 million in 2005, the first year included in the study.

link: http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140910/ ... S/?Start=1
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PJS article: "Anxious Times in the Valley"

Postby Turner » September 11th, 2014, 11:03 am

I think this is the reality coming soon. Would be unfortunate if it happens.

We dropped men’s tennis (last spring) in part because of these economic realities coming down the pike from the NCAA,” said BU athletics director Michael Cross. “This is a two-sport (football and basketball) question that is going to trickle into other areas. I wouldn’t be surprised if the minimum number of sports required to stay in Division I drops. And the day it drops, I wouldn’t be surprised if schools across the country cut sports left and right.”
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » September 11th, 2014, 1:49 pm

As bad as this makes things sound for the Valley, the situation appears even worse for non-P5 football schools. Thinking of moving up to CUSA or MAC for football could be the end of an athletic department.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby lime » September 12th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Red wrote:As bad as this makes things sound for the Valley, the situation appears even worse for non-P5 football schools. Thinking of moving up to CUSA or MAC for football could be the end of an athletic department.

...yet that population continues to increase. go figure.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby rlh04d » September 16th, 2014, 11:52 am

Financially, every non-WSU team in the Valley seems to be in significant trouble. Bradley and Indiana State first and foremost.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 16th, 2014, 5:57 pm

I'm just asking this question to make sure I understand the situation right. Doesn't WSU athletics operate in the red w/o a 4-5 million dollar subsidy from the general fund. Meaning that to be able to pay it's athletes a stipend, just as every other Valley school they will either have to cut something, find a way to generate more money, or have to depend on an even bigger bailout from the schools overall budget. Granted WSU's athletic department is spending more currently and generating more revenue by a considerable amount than most of the other MVC schools, but unlike the upper level BCS schools, they are still operating in the red w/o a subsidy. So while they may have more options in how they go about it, they still don't have the money currently w/o changing something to pay for this change. True or not ?
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 16th, 2014, 7:01 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I'm just asking this question to make sure I understand the situation right. Doesn't WSU athletics operate in the red w/o a 4-5 million dollar subsidy from the general fund. Meaning that to be able to pay it's athletes a stipend, just as every other Valley school they will either have to cut something, find a way to generate more money, or have to depend on an even bigger bailout from the schools overall budget. Granted WSU's athletic department is spending more currently and generating more revenue by a considerable amount than most of the other MVC schools, but unlike the upper level BCS schools, they are still operating in the red w/o a subsidy. So while they may have more options in how they go about it, they still don't have the money currently w/o changing something to pay for this change. True or not ?

WSU is subsidized about $6M from the state.

WSU earns about $21M (this includes the government subsidy) on athletics and spends about $19M.

That means we operate $2M in the black without any subsidies from the academic institution.

The goal of the athletic department currently is to operate at a neutral level and there is room to grow the earnings during the current run of success. See this article.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... rc=desktop

Generally speaking, I think the reality is that WSU can keep pace with little to no increase in donor support and without pulling from some slush fund.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sir Sci » September 16th, 2014, 7:24 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I'm just asking this question to make sure I understand the situation right. Doesn't WSU athletics operate in the red w/o a 4-5 million dollar subsidy from the general fund. Meaning that to be able to pay it's athletes a stipend, just as every other Valley school they will either have to cut something, find a way to generate more money, or have to depend on an even bigger bailout from the schools overall budget. Granted WSU's athletic department is spending more currently and generating more revenue by a considerable amount than most of the other MVC schools, but unlike the upper level BCS schools, they are still operating in the red w/o a subsidy. So while they may have more options in how they go about it, they still don't have the money currently w/o changing something to pay for this change. True or not ?

According to USA Today, WSU currently spends $24,132,710 on its athletics programs, and has $23,643,249 in revenues, and $6,520,676 of those "revenues" are a subsidy from institutional funds such as student fees, state money, and institutional support (about 27.58% of reported revenues). After the subsidy, WSU's athletics still garner a $489,461 loss.

WSU's subsidy, compared to most institutions, is very low. Basically, their revenues that come from things like ticket sales and rights/licensing comes to a little more than $17 million. Fun fact: Of all D-I athletics departments, Boise State is the only non-BCS school that subsidizes its programs less than WSU, and that's by a very small margin (even if they do have $20 million more in revenue than WSU).

As a comparison (because it's my school), Missouri State has $15,495,062 in athletics spending, which they balance with $15,495,062 in revenues, with $8,451,702 in subsidies (or 54.54% of revenues).

That's about typical for most public institutions MO State's size. Revenues from things like ticket sales and rights/licensing come to a little over $7 million. Illinois State makes about the same in non-subsidized revenues, but spends more money and therefore subsidizes their programs more. SIU also makes about the same in non-subsidized revenue as MSU and ISUr, but spends more than both and therefore subsidizes more than both. SIU's athletics also appear to operate at a $3 million loss even after subsidies.

UNI does the second best in the Valley, where it makes about $9 million in non-subsidized revenue (so more than MSU, ISUr, and SIU), but but it spends only $1.5 million more than MSU, so its subsidy is lower.

Of the public schools, Indiana State is easily in the worst position. A $12,578,396 budget, with $12,761,811 in revenues - but $9,518,604 of those are subsidies, amounting to 74.59% of the revenues. That also means they make just a little over $3 million in non-subsidized revenue.

Info from: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances

tl;dr: WSU does incredibly well for itself, UNI does comparatively well, while MSU, SIU, and ISUr are typical for midsized public universities. ISUb's athletics department doesn't get much at all in ticket sales, and is a bad spot financially.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 16th, 2014, 7:54 pm

I'm guessing sci posted the 2014 numbers whereas I posted the 2013 numbers. The subsidies are about 3 million in student fees and 3 million in government funding (this must be the subsidies that were referred to above?). Also of note, Gregg Marshall is not paid from this budget.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » September 16th, 2014, 8:03 pm

I think that every bit of the student fees go to finish paying for the Koch Renovation. Also, Marshall's salary isn't figured at all in that figure because it is paid for by private funding.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball