Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 7th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 22nd, 2014, 5:14 am

Evansville
13%
Illinois State
13%
Indiana State
43%
Missouri State
No votes
Northern Iowa
No votes
Southern Illinois
28%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 68

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Postby Rollbird5 » September 17th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Cdizzle wrote:While I don't necessarily share the previous sentiment as it is also off-base, I think it would be fair to say that IlSU under-performed, and perhaps vastly under-performed 2 years ago. That was the team that had Carmichael and Brown as seniors. They were voted 2nd by the media in the preseason poll, even gaining a couple of 1st place votes (all others went to a T25 Creighton). Instead they stumbled to a 18-15 record, only 8-10 in the Valley, good for 6th.

Last year's team probably performed about as well as they should have, bolstered in the league standing perhaps by a weak league. They were picked 7th preseason and finished in a 3-way tie for 4th.

This was the team that we were most excited about. Expectations were a possible ncaa tourney bid. When Moore left that was a huge loss for us as they could just not guard hill or keane when we were on offense. But even with them we shouldve beat Louisville who won it all and should've beat wsu (famous jackie "chan" carmichael" game) who went to the final four so there still wasn't an excuse for how we played in conference, we had more than enough talent. That season still hurts knowing what couldve been if moore had stayed :cry:
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FearDaTrees » September 18th, 2014, 10:02 am

Tre Bennett will take over at PG for JO and be just fine. Indiana State will NOT be playing on Thursday night. Wichita State will run the table again (In MVC Play) and the rest is pretty unpredictable. Greg Lansing is just too good of a coach to let this program slip that quickly.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » September 18th, 2014, 10:04 am

FearDaTrees wrote:Tre Bennett will take over at PG for JO and be just fine. Indiana State will NOT be playing on Thursday night. Wichita State will run the table again (In MVC Play) and the rest is pretty unpredictable. Greg Lansing is just too good of a coach to let this program slip that quickly.

There are 4 statements in this post. I don't know if I agree with any of them.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 18th, 2014, 10:04 am

nm
Last edited by Cdizzle on September 18th, 2014, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » September 18th, 2014, 10:49 am

Rollbird5 wrote:This was the team that we were most excited about. Expectations were a possible ncaa tourney bid. When Moore left that was a huge loss for us as they could just not guard hill or keane when we were on offense. But even with them we shouldve beat Louisville who won it all and should've beat wsu (famous jackie "chan" carmichael" game) who went to the final four so there still wasn't an excuse for how we played in conference, we had more than enough talent. That season still hurts knowing what couldve been if moore had stayed :cry:

Easy baby...COULD'VE beaten Louisville, not should've. Perhaps should've beaten WSU in Normal, but that team was not the same as the one with Baker that went to the Final Four.

Still, that team were HUGE underachievers, I don't see how you can spin it any other way, and I don't know how coaching doesn't take the brunt of the blame. Poor management and coaching, albeit from a new coach.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » September 18th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
FearDaTrees wrote:Tre Bennett will take over at PG for JO and be just fine. Indiana State will NOT be playing on Thursday night. Wichita State will run the table again (In MVC Play) and the rest is pretty unpredictable. Greg Lansing is just too good of a coach to let this program slip that quickly.

There are 4 statements in this post. I don't know if I agree with any of them.

Knowing FearDaTrees I feel like it's a serious post but when I read it the first time I just assumed it was satirical or sarcastic. I'm really not all that sure. I don't think ISUb will fall off the cliff but I think it's pretty foolish to underestimate the value and impact that Jake Odum had on that program. That man carried the team on his back and I'd be very surprised that ISUb has had someone in the wings this whole time capable of replicating everything that Jake could do. That's a Sycamore legend we're talking about
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » September 19th, 2014, 10:31 am

there are many unknowns about Sycamore BB as we head into the 14-15 season, yes, it will be difficult to replace Odum, and yes we may slip in the standings, but one thing for sure, it will definitely be a different "brand" of ISU basketball, none of this slowly bringing the ball up the court, then lolly gag around and take a bad shot, I get the feeling this year's team will be much more up tempo, so whether that works out to be better or worse for ISU is yet to be seen, we'll know more soon enough.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » September 19th, 2014, 3:07 pm

I sure hope you're right....I'm begging the rest of the league to play more up tempo and not try and slow the game to a crawl.

Please let you be right.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » September 22nd, 2014, 5:11 pm

The official MVCfans.com prediction for 7th place during the 2014-15 men's Missouri Valley Conference basketball season - Indiana State.

The voting for 6th place is now open.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jturner38 » October 4th, 2014, 12:32 pm

jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball