Best returning MVC shooters

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby glm38 » September 20th, 2014, 9:54 am

Below is an article listing the 5 best shooters in the Valley. I think it's a pretty good list. But I would have put Baker in there somewhere. Probably in place of Turk.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... on/#slide9
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Best returning MVC shooters

Postby Rollbird5 » September 20th, 2014, 10:34 am

Someone should tell the writer that Seth Tuttle is still on the team lol And Baker should definitely be there instead of Turk
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 20th, 2014, 10:39 am

glm38 wrote:Below is an article listing the 5 best shooters in the Valley. I think it's a pretty good list. But I would have put Baker in there somewhere. Probably in place of Turk.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... on/#slide9

Nothing wrong with the list, but no definition of why he chose some and not others.

3 point FG% for returning players that attempted greater than 100 shots:

Ruder .400
Ballentine .398
Beane .394
Caird .390
Turk .386
Baker .380

Those with less than 100 attempts:

Buss .506
Daniels .466
VanVleet .418

Hawley was the only senior in last years top 10 by percentage.

In conference games only, Bohannon, Smithpeters, and Barnes were in the top 10 (with Ziesloft) while Caird, Turk, Baker and Ballentine fell off.

If you put impetus on consistency, % and volume, Ruder and Beane need to top the list, and Beane is no where to be seen.

If volume doesn't matter(at least 2 attempts per game being the minimum) then VanVleet, and Daniels need to be somewhere.

If it's consistency, then why have Bohannon?

If it's volume, then why Buss?

If this is a list of guys that ONLY shoot, then why have Ballentine?

If it's technique, release, and intangibles then why aren't Baker and Beane on the list? Why is Turk on the list at all?

Lots of good shooters in the league regardless of how you slice it.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 20th, 2014, 10:56 am

Wufan I agree. Lots of different ways to define "best shooter". Another aspect of great shooters is the ability to hit clutch shots. That's subjective too. But that clutch aspect is part of the reason I would put Baker on the list.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » September 20th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Gary Ricks needs to be on that list somewhere. I'd rank him Jordan Daniels and Chris Caird all ahead of Turk.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » September 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Gary Ricks needs to be on that list somewhere. I'd rank him Jordan Daniels and Chris Caird all ahead of Turk.

While Turk is certainly a good shooter, he deserves an "others mentioned" on a list of five.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 20th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Makes you wonder if the writer has watched any MVC games.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 22nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

Wufan wrote:
If it's consistency, then why have Bohannon?

If it's volume, then why Buss?

Your post was pretty solid but I just wanted to touch these two.

Outside of a real rough stretch during the OOC Matty B was very consistent Conference play he shot 46% on 133 attempts.

Remember Buss played only 15 conference games due to knee surgery due to an injury he suffered just 3 or 4 minutes into a game (so he really missed 4 games) but in that game he had already nailed 2 (I believe) threes.

There's no "good" way to determine best shooters, but those two deserve to be on any list, IMO. As does Rudder and Hawley (at least when it comes to 3 point shots)
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 22nd, 2014, 8:53 pm

What was said above about Buss was due to the fact that he didn't take 100 3s. That makes for a good cut off on volume shooters versus non-volume shooters, but it is arbitrary.

My comment on Bohannon was because he shot .466 in conference, but was under .400 for the season. He was really bad early on. I think that's an important point to make for this article.

No issues with either making the list, but when combined with Turk and Ballentine, the whole thing looks like a bit of a hodgepodge.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 23rd, 2014, 10:29 am

Wufan wrote:What was said above about Buss was due to the fact that he didn't take 100 3s. That makes for a good cut off on volume shooters versus non-volume shooters, but it is arbitrary.

My comment on Bohannon was because he shot .466 in conference, but was under .400 for the season. He was really bad early on. I think that's an important point to make for this article.

No issues with either making the list, but when combined with Turk and Ballentine, the whole thing looks like a bit of a hodgepodge.

I'm not saying your wrong, I don't disagree with you entirely.

Bohannon had a bad OOC.
Buss didn't get to 100, but with his average per game, and the games he missed with that knee surgery, and how he was playing going into that injury, I have zero doubt he would have found at least 17 more threes
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball