Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 6th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 29th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Evansville
22%
Illinois State
22%
Missouri State
9%
Northern Iowa
2%
Southern Illinois
42%
Wichita State
4%

Total votes : 55

Postby MVCfans » September 22nd, 2014, 5:09 pm

Each week we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2014-15 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining in week 9.

Indiana State was selected as the 7th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3840 )

Week - Who will finish in 6th place during the 2014-15 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 6th place for this regular season. Poll open until Monday, September 29.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
10th Place - Loyola
9th Place - Drake
8th Place - Bradley
7th Place - Indiana State
6h - .....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Postby Redbird23 » September 25th, 2014, 11:53 am

Its interestimg how a bunch of professional college analysts believe ISU is a sleeper to make the tourney but not many in the MVC believe so
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » September 25th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Redbird23 wrote:Its interestimg how a bunch of professional college analysts believe ISU is a sleeper to make the tourney but not many in the MVC believe so

Not to be contrarian, but the "pros" probably spend less time thinking about the MVC than we do.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BTbird » September 25th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Redbird23 wrote:Its interestimg how a bunch of professional college analysts believe ISU is a sleeper to make the tourney but not many in the MVC believe so

I'm thinking this poll and the coaches poll will put us at 4th but we will see.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » September 25th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I'm a little surprised there is as much of a breakaway in the voting by SIU as there is, and equally surprised that MSU only has the 1 vote. I would've given about even money on any of the 3-6 spots. I think all those teams have good pieces returning, several known flaws, and several promising potential fixes to those flaws. I feel like I'm missing something about SIU that everyone else sees.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 25th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm a little surprised there is as much of a breakaway in the voting by SIU as there is, and equally surprised that MSU only has the 1 vote. I would've given about even money on any of the 3-6 spots. I think all those teams have good pieces returning, several known flaws, and several promising potential fixes to those flaws. I feel like I'm missing something about SIU that everyone else sees.

While I feel that SIU has a chance to be good this year, I voted them for 8th and 7th.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » September 25th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Red wrote:

Not to be contrarian, but the "pros" probably spend less time thinking about the MVC than we do.

At the same time, I seriously doubt 4% of the "pros" are picking Wichita to finish 6th in the Valley this season.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » September 26th, 2014, 8:42 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Red wrote:

At the same time, I seriously doubt 4% of the "pros" are picking Wichita to finish 6th in the Valley this season.

Ha. :+1:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 28th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm a little surprised there is as much of a breakaway in the voting by SIU as there is, and equally surprised that MSU only has the 1 vote. I would've given about even money on any of the 3-6 spots. I think all those teams have good pieces returning, several known flaws, and several promising potential fixes to those flaws. I feel like I'm missing something about SIU that everyone else sees.

In my opinion it's pretty spot on. I see WSU, UNI, and MSU as the top 3 in that order although I could see my Bears giving UNI a real test for runner up if our post play improves significantly. Otherwise why am I high on the Bears ( besides the fact that I'm a homer)? Guard play for one. I think Marshall and Ruder are easily the 2nd best tandem at that spot. We'll miss Gulley but have a several talented wings to take up that slack.

To me the post is our big question. Tmac is clearly the long term answer but we need him to step up this year. Or Kirk and Boone need to be able to excel despite being undersized. I feel we'll be good with adequate post play but could have an exceptional year if someone steps up.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 28th, 2014, 3:45 pm

For me, the biggest question for the Bears is toughness. What they lacked last year was defense and rebounding. Who was the toughest Bear last year? Gulley, and he's gone. Certainly the return of Marshall to the backcourt along with Ruder will be a welcome addition. Mvouika at the wing certainly adds athleticism, and scoring, but not defensive toughness. Thurman and Kirk, while showing flashes, haven't demonstrated the ability to consistently contribute offensively, and they just aren't good on the other end. The undersized Boone and Gerring DO add the missing ingredients, but do they bring enough? TMac still needs to develop. I think he's still a year away.

UNI was short on post depth. They probably still are.

Illinois State needed to add size at the 3, 4, & 5. They've succeeded.

SIU got some bigs but still lacks a PG. ISUb replaced their PG but didn't get any bigs. Evansville got a PF and another perimeter scorer.

Not sure who's weaknesses will be masked or continue to show through, but all appear improved on paper with the exception of WSU and ISUb. Should be a good year!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball