Sycamores crowd funding for new uniforms?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Sycamores crowd funding for new uniforms?

Postby glm38 » September 24th, 2014, 5:23 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Sir Sci wrote:
Aargh wrote:MSU FB, on the other hand...when a fanbase thinks that losing a lot of games and having horrible attendance can be solved by moving up a level...smh...You have to at least try to educate those people.

Now, I'm on record both here and on BearNation for being skeptical of a move to the Sun Belt for many good reasons, but this is a complete mischaracterization of the argument. Nobody thinks that moving up will magically solve all everything. What Bears fans believe is that the school is large enough, is growing enough, and has the momentum to a point where a move up would be in the best interest of the school.

You can disagree with the logic behind those beliefs if you want - and you won't necessarily be wrong - but don't intentionally mischaracterize what is actually being asserted.

But..... With all of this momentum, you would think that Missouri State would be free from resorting to desperate moves like selling cattle, or God help them, resorting to crowd funding themselves. Missouri State is Indiana State with maybe a larger budget. Perhaps those all in favor of a move to the Sun Belt should make sure the school isn't selling cattle and other poor boy stuff, first.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff? I think you just like to hear yourself talk and especially put down any Valley school not named WSU. MSU is not ISUb on a smaller scale. No we don't have near the budget WSU has. But we have recently built a beautiful basketball arena that is arguably the nicest in the Valley. And we just completed a renovation of our football stadium and upgrades to athletic facilities all over campus. The stadium and new facilities are beautiful. That doesn't sound like a university on the brink of financial collapse? Say what you will but at least we are able to spend significant money. Do you ever actually talk about Valley basketball? As in the players and projections? All I ever see you do is make trolling comments about Valley schools and the eventual collapse of the MVC.

I'll be the first to admit our football program over the past 15 years has been wretched. But this year so far is different. The program is revitalized at least thus far (I know it's still early). Will this lead us to a different conference? No one knows at this point but so far our administration says no. I'll trust our administration to make the right decision. Right now I'm just enjoying the ride. The last home football game was a blast. For both the students and the rest of us. I do understand how football can be a financial drain. But it also gives back to the university in other ways.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 24th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Sir Sci wrote:
Aargh wrote:MSU FB, on the other hand...when a fanbase thinks that losing a lot of games and having horrible attendance can be solved by moving up a level...smh...You have to at least try to educate those people.

Now, I'm on record both here and on BearNation for being skeptical of a move to the Sun Belt for many good reasons, but this is a complete mischaracterization of the argument. Nobody thinks that moving up will magically solve all everything. What Bears fans believe is that the school is large enough, is growing enough, and has the momentum to a point where a move up would be in the best interest of the school.

You can disagree with the logic behind those beliefs if you want - and you won't necessarily be wrong - but don't intentionally mischaracterize what is actually being asserted.

And what are those best interests other than road games and checks with and from Power 5 teams?

Just wondering.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » September 24th, 2014, 7:31 pm

ihsi wrote:Does Larry Bird contribute anything back to the school?

No. At least not publicly.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby MoValley John » September 24th, 2014, 7:39 pm

glm38 wrote:I don't know where you come up with this stuff? I think you just likIe to hear yourself talk and especially put down any Valley school not named WSU. MSU is not ISUb on a smaller scale. No we don't have near the budget WSU has. But we have recently built a beautiful basketball arena that is arguably the nicest in the Valley. And we just completed a renovation of our football stadium and upgrades to athletic facilities all over campus. The stadium and new facilities are beautiful. That doesn't sound like a university on the brink of financial collapse? Say what you will but at least we are able to spend significant money. Do you ever actually talk about Valley basketball? As in the players and projections? All I ever see you do is make trolling comments about Valley schools and the eventual collapse of the MVC

Where do I come up with this stuff? Why, directly off of your team board. That would be missouristate247.com. Everything I get that upsets you comes directly off of your board. I got the Sun Belt stuff off of your board, I got the crowd funding for a bear statue off of your board and a few years ago I got the cattle sale to fund athletics off of the old msuBearNation board.

As far as trolling any other fan base, show me. I haven't. I've had heated differences with some UNI fans, but I'm not trolling them. I've never said anything that would be construed as trolling about Drake, Illinois State, Indiana State, SIU or even Loyola. The closest I've gotten to trolling Bradley was with one poster with six screen names, the infamous Tornado. That was years ago, too. I've brushed up with two or three E'ville posters but not their fanbase and I absolutely do not want the Valley to implode. I want you to show me where I'm trolling any other fanbase. You cant.

Your problem with me is that it appears to you that I'm blindly I'm anti-MSU. I'm not. And I'm not trolling you guys, just regurgitating stuff originally posted on your board and giving my opinion. Furthermore, if you ask Shocker fans, I've stated on their board that I do not hate Missouri State. However, what I find hysterical, is the amount of MSU posters that are flat out delusional. Period. If you don't think the likes of Casey makes you guys look foolish, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think that it reflects poorly on your fanbase when MSU fans chime in on crowd funding, all the while, you guys are crowd funding for a statue, well, I don't know how to make you understand. It goes on and on. You can go back to the knee jerk threads when you guys wanted Barry fired; it was embarrassing. Or building an arena and not having the money to build locker rooms. Or the fact that one side of your arena is plexiglass, not because of plexiglass being the original design, but that is how they scaled back the original plans because you couldn't afford a fully enclosed upper bowl as originally planned. How about the annual threads you guys post complaining about ticket prices-Yet you guys want to "move up to the next level?" Unreal!

I could go on and on and on and on, but I think you get it. Or you should get it. All fanbases have their chest thumpers, NDSU has Lakesbison. You guys just have an inordinate amount of them. You guys make it easy, and honestly, some of you guys deserve far more than I post.

I laid it out, if you don't get it, I can't help you, sorry.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 24th, 2014, 8:48 pm

MVJ, your arrogance that your perspective is correct and that anyone else is interested is what I find uniquely grandiose compared to anyone else who posts here. I really don't find anything you say to be either that accurate or that enlightened, and the fact you have to repeat the same things as often as you do indicates how limited your insight is. I've read your comments on Shocker Net and you're a liar if you say you don't go over there and consistently pander to anything negative about MSU that might come up. I say it's gutless to go to one teams board and take comments from that board and then float them elsewhere out of context and as if they represent the sum of that boards opinion in order to just gain favor with a rival group.

I really don't care what you think because your opinion is obviously not only inconsequential to what MSU does, but clearly to most, otherwise you wouldn't be hiding out pandering to a fan base that isn't even your own. I always find people like you who like to portray themselves as experts on what others should do or think comical. It would be dangerous if it involved anything less trivial than college athletics, but clearly you're limited in scope. It's usually best and easiest to just ignore you, but sometimes you just have to educate the truly stupid, right Aargh.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 24th, 2014, 8:52 pm

MoValley John wrote:
glm38 wrote:I don't know where you come up with this stuff? I think you just likIe to hear yourself talk and especially put down any Valley school not named WSU. MSU is not ISUb on a smaller scale. No we don't have near the budget WSU has. But we have recently built a beautiful basketball arena that is arguably the nicest in the Valley. And we just completed a renovation of our football stadium and upgrades to athletic facilities all over campus. The stadium and new facilities are beautiful. That doesn't sound like a university on the brink of financial collapse? Say what you will but at least we are able to spend significant money. Do you ever actually talk about Valley basketball? As in the players and projections? All I ever see you do is make trolling comments about Valley schools and the eventual collapse of the MVC

Where do I come up with this stuff? Why, directly off of your team board. That would be missouristate247.com. Everything I get that upsets you comes directly off of your board. I got the Sun Belt stuff off of your board, I got the crowd funding for a bear statue off of your board and a few years ago I got the cattle sale to fund athletics off of the old msuBearNation board.

As far as trolling any other fan base, show me. I haven't. I've had heated differences with some UNI fans, but I'm not trolling them. I've never said anything that would be construed as trolling about Drake, Illinois State, Indiana State, SIU or even Loyola. The closest I've gotten to trolling Bradley was with one poster with six screen names, the infamous Tornado. That was years ago, too. I've brushed up with two or three E'ville posters but not their fanbase and I absolutely do not want the Valley to implode. I want you to show me where I'm trolling any other fanbase. You cant.

Your problem with me is that it appears to you that I'm blindly I'm anti-MSU. I'm not. And I'm not trolling you guys, just regurgitating stuff originally posted on your board and giving my opinion. Furthermore, if you ask Shocker fans, I've stated on their board that I do not hate Missouri State. However, what I find hysterical, is the amount of MSU posters that are flat out delusional. Period. If you don't think the likes of Casey makes you guys look foolish, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think that it reflects poorly on your fanbase when MSU fans chime in on crowd funding, all the while, you guys are crowd funding for a statue, well, I don't know how to make you understand. It goes on and on. You can go back to the knee jerk threads when you guys wanted Barry fired; it was embarrassing. Or building an arena and not having the money to build locker rooms. Or the fact that one side of your arena is plexiglass, not because of plexiglass being the original design, but that is how they scaled back the original plans because you couldn't afford a fully enclosed upper bowl as originally planned. How about the annual threads you guys post complaining about ticket prices-Yet you guys want to "move up to the next level?" Unreal!

I could go on and on and on and on, but I think you get it. Or you should get it. All fanbases have their chest thumpers, NDSU has Lakesbison. You guys just have an inordinate amount of them. You guys make it easy, and honestly, some of you guys deserve far more than I post.

I laid it out, if you don't get it, I can't help you, sorry.

Definition of a troll: troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response

Hmm sounds vaguely familar....Wait it sounds like MVJ posting on MVC fans.

The problem is you pick information from message boards and add your own spin. For instance the Bear statue. It was actually not a part of the remodel of Plaster stadium but was supposed to be funded by the senior class at MSU. My son is an MSU student and says that is the case and that is mentioned in the thread. The senior class funding fell short and they are asking for donations. Big deal. And regardless of a little plexiglass - would you deny that we have some of the best facilities out there? I notice you didn't answer that one. Should we not have built beautiful JQH because there wasn't enough to finish the locker rooms immediately? Well they are done now. Where would we be if we hadn't even started JQH? And how do you respond to our spending millions on athletic upgrades in the last few years. Again that doesn't sound like a program in desperate financial straits? If you think that is the case then I can't help YOU.....
The only thing of substance is the university selling a few cattle in a time of need. Well that several years ago at the height of the recession. There were a lot of businesses and colleges struggling at that time. We don't have near the funding of WSU but it's pretty obvious we aren't struggling now. But you are too conceited to even admit that.

Yes there are a few delusional Bear fans out there. Don't all fan bases have them? Again big deal. I've grown to like most of the Shocker fans on here and even most on Shockernet. You have to admire their passion. But there are several delusional and nutty posters in that fanbase too.

You like to see yourself as some kind of witty message board savant. But your act is getting old. Why don't you actually try talking about basketball itself instead of constantly belittling people and the universities they care about?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 24th, 2014, 9:37 pm

JQH is a very nice arena. If anyone back in the day of its construction read past the airplane hanger jokes, they would have read that I said that all along. I say that today and I'll say that tomorrow. Should MSU have built it since funding fell short and they had to downsize the arena and delay locker rooms? Absolutely! So how am I doing? Now here is where we part ways. Some Missouri State fan's are delusional. Just like any fan base, but Missouri State has many more of them, at least many more that post. Missouri State should have built JQH, but given the track record of funding issues that you're school has had, recession or not, you guys probably aren't the ones to be criticizing any other school regarding funding issues, crowd funding, budget shortfalls, old uniforms, long bus trips, you guys should let those topics go.

And as for the Sun Belt, well if you guys want it, I hope you get it. I'll be happy if you guys are happy. But be careful of what you wish for. Lacking any real sustained success in any sport isn't a good indicator of success at a "higher level" whether or not you consider the Sun Belt a higher level. I really think you guys should slow down and look hard at the Sun Belt. It is only a step up in your minds because you want so much for better things that this pig with lipstick look gorgeous.

Speaking of the whole "leaving the Valley for greener pastures", the bit is beyond getting old. The C-USA thing should have taught the chest thumping segment of Missouri State fans to never go there again. It's not just me that makes the secret meeting jokes, the sealed envelope jokes, the black helicopter jokes, it's everyone! You would think that it would temper those posts, but sure as the Sun rises in the East every morning, Bears fans post this crap. And they try to sell the idea of the Sun Belt as being a step up. You would think you guys would learn to shut up, afterall, the University of Missouri was humiliated by the B1G debacle. Your governor was even involved. Then again, Mizzou fans learned from it. It was dead quiet until they actually had the invitation from the SEC. That is how you guys should behave, quiet on the realignment thing until the invite is in your hand.

I've already rambled too long. I had hoped to not get into this again, but like I said in my original post about a week ago, Casey sucked me in. Again. I will once again ask two questions, where am I hoping for the demise of the Valley and where is any other fan base that I have problems with? You can't find them. I wish Missouri State the best, I really do, but just like you say my shtick is getting old, you might want to consider how old Casey and the boy's shtick is getting for everyone.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 25th, 2014, 4:45 am

Nice try but going to our board and then taking things out of context and trashing us on Shocker net has little to do with Casey; that's all about you. And the JQH stuff is so ridiculous as to be almost pathetic that you try to use it and that anybody else even buys into it. Obviously no one else ever had a construction project that ran over in costs and had to be adjusted or that they completed in phases as we did with the locker rooms. You know as well as anybody that there were excellent locker rooms adjoining the facility in easy access that had just been upgraded a year or two previous, but you try to portray it as incompetence in planning. Where you get the arrogance to presume it's your job to correct all things MSU because in YOUR OPINION we're delusional is just how grandiose you are. That's the trouble with the internet is with the freedom to post anything came the stupidity that leads you to believe you have the right to. And if your excuse is gonna be someone like Casey, then what does that say given he's able to fish you in like a fat carp time after time.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sir Sci » September 25th, 2014, 8:18 am

Missouri State should have built JQH, but given the track record of funding issues that you're school has had, recession or not, you guys probably aren't the ones to be criticizing any other school regarding funding issues, crowd funding, budget shortfalls, old uniforms, long bus trips, you guys should let those topics go.

Okay, where in this thread has a Bears fan criticized any other school regarding any of those things? A shocker fan made this thread, a Bears fan said he doesn't think it's embarrassing, and I (a Bears fan) said I couldn't find this information online. How are we "not letting go" something we never criticized in the first place?

You made this blatantly false claim elsewhere, also saying "If you don't think that it reflects poorly on your fanbase when MSU fans chime in on crowd funding, all the while, you guys are crowd funding for a statue, well, I don't know how to make you understand."

Except our chiming in was a defense of ISUb's situation and a request for more information. If you don't think that it reflects poorly on your fanbase when you accuse others of being delusional, all the while, you are failing to even comprehend what has been said here, well, I don't know how to make you understand.

Aargh over here made a topic that had nothing to do with MO State somehow about us, by stating that our fanbase thinks moving up will solve all of our program's problems. I provided evidence as to why that is not our fanbase's perspective.

Then somehow you got on a tangent about something about cattle from a long time ago that is completely irrelevant. You, sir, are indeed trolling MO State fans here by making false claims (that we criticized ISUb), misrepresenting facts (considering the Bear statue is a senior gift, and not a part of renovations), and outright insulting us with terms like "delusional."
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jwa123 » September 25th, 2014, 3:00 pm

At least MSU does not get any of their money from the Koch brothers.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball