Sycamores crowd funding for new uniforms?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby ShockValue » September 23rd, 2014, 3:22 pm

I get the idea behind it, but it makes the school and league seem so small.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Sycamores crowd funding for new uniforms?

Postby glm38 » September 23rd, 2014, 4:16 pm

I'm not sure it reflects badly on the entire MVC. It's just one school. I'd be willing to bet there are other leagues with individual schools with similar issues.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Haha » September 23rd, 2014, 4:59 pm

don't be a d-bag
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Sir Sci » September 23rd, 2014, 8:22 pm

I heard somewhere else about this happening, but I can't actually find it anywhere online.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » September 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

Sir Sci wrote:I heard somewhere else about this happening, but I can't actually find it anywhere online.

Yes, it happens all the time and could happen to anyone. It is just a matter of time before other teams hold telethons, have bake sales on campus, have people at every street light with a school hat gathering the necessary pennies, nickels, and dimes to save the basketball team from having to wear uniforms two years in a row. This is totally realistic.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » September 23rd, 2014, 11:01 pm

All registered users of InSU's message board got the e-mail.

I was hoping that wouldn't get brought up here because InSU's fans have been pretty reasonable lately and don't need help in feeling bad about some unfortunate circumstances hitting their program right now. I hate kicking teams or fans when they're down. They often do that to themselves and don't need my help.

MSU FB, on the other hand...when a fanbase thinks that losing a lot of games and having horrible attendance can be solved by moving up a level...smh...You have to at least try to educate those people.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ihsi » September 24th, 2014, 8:23 am

Does Larry Bird contribute anything back to the school? He could find $6k in his sofa cushions.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » September 24th, 2014, 9:49 am

I get why some think it's small time. But it is a way to get some fans involved who might not otherwise financially support the athletic department. If you think $250 a year to the scholarship club is more than you can afford, but you can drop a $20 to help with new uniforms, you just made a connection --- and that fan will feel like they're invested in the program. Hopefully down the road they will be in a position to donate more.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Sir Sci » September 24th, 2014, 11:04 am

Aargh wrote:MSU FB, on the other hand...when a fanbase thinks that losing a lot of games and having horrible attendance can be solved by moving up a level...smh...You have to at least try to educate those people.

Now, I'm on record both here and on BearNation for being skeptical of a move to the Sun Belt for many good reasons, but this is a complete mischaracterization of the argument. Nobody thinks that moving up will magically solve all everything. What Bears fans believe is that the school is large enough, is growing enough, and has the momentum to a point where a move up would be in the best interest of the school.

You can disagree with the logic behind those beliefs if you want - and you won't necessarily be wrong - but don't intentionally mischaracterize what is actually being asserted.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » September 24th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Sir Sci wrote:
Aargh wrote:MSU FB, on the other hand...when a fanbase thinks that losing a lot of games and having horrible attendance can be solved by moving up a level...smh...You have to at least try to educate those people.

Now, I'm on record both here and on BearNation for being skeptical of a move to the Sun Belt for many good reasons, but this is a complete mischaracterization of the argument. Nobody thinks that moving up will magically solve all everything. What Bears fans believe is that the school is large enough, is growing enough, and has the momentum to a point where a move up would be in the best interest of the school.

You can disagree with the logic behind those beliefs if you want - and you won't necessarily be wrong - but don't intentionally mischaracterize what is actually being asserted.

But..... With all of this momentum, you would think that Missouri State would be free from resorting to desperate moves like selling cattle, or God help them, resorting to crowd funding themselves. Missouri State is Indiana State with maybe a larger budget. Perhaps those all in favor of a move to the Sun Belt should make sure the school isn't selling cattle and other poor boy stuff, first.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball