Missing Creighton

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missing Creighton

Postby jwa123 » September 28th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0. I don't think it's that big of a stretch for a WSU fan to say it's WSU's title to lose again this year. You may not agree with it, but to take offense to it like it's some sort of outlandish statement is where you're coming out wrong.

WSU will probably lose 2-3 Valley games this year, as expecting back-to-back 18-0 seasons seems sort of foolish to expect. So, if that's the case, then you think UNI is going to pound out a 16-2 year also, along with your Missouri State Bears. Which scenario seems more likely to you?

Given WSU's recent history of domination, there's no need for you to get defensive about a few WSU fans predicting more success for WSU. The last few years opposing fans keep saying "just wait til this year". Well, it keeps happening. If you want to be the Man, you have to beat the Man.

Yawn....
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby musiccitybulldog » September 28th, 2014, 6:58 pm

I miss Louisville.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » September 28th, 2014, 7:04 pm

jwa123 wrote:
Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0. I don't think it's that big of a stretch for a WSU fan to say it's WSU's title to lose again this year. You may not agree with it, but to take offense to it like it's some sort of outlandish statement is where you're coming out wrong.

WSU will probably lose 2-3 Valley games this year, as expecting back-to-back 18-0 seasons seems sort of foolish to expect. So, if that's the case, then you think UNI is going to pound out a 16-2 year also, along with your Missouri State Bears. Which scenario seems more likely to you?

Given WSU's recent history of domination, there's no need for you to get defensive about a few WSU fans predicting more success for WSU. The last few years opposing fans keep saying "just wait til this year". Well, it keeps happening. If you want to be the Man, you have to beat the Man.

Yawn....

Are you tired, Illinois State fan?

Yah, I'd be tired of Wichita State too if you had lost 11 of your last 12 meetings against them. :?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » September 28th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Redbird23 wrote:WTF Andshock changed my post look at the very first one, and then look at Andshock quoting me in the third one

You wouldn't be a WebTV subscriber would you?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » September 28th, 2014, 7:08 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I have no problem with your above post; I just thought anyone implying the rest of the Valley can't compete is being short sighted given the history. Teams rise and fall and even those who sustain success over extended periods have teams that jump up and challenge them and take titles away. I think WSU fans should expect to win, but that hardly means other teams shouldn't believe they can as well. I think UNI on paper has everything necessary to win a title including a coach who has done so. Will they, who knows, but no coach in this league has been as consistent at getting other teams to have to play to his style as Jacobson has when he's had talent. And he has talent, experience and depth this year. I have no idea what Lusk can do because he's not proven anything yet, but I know we have talent and I know ISUr and Evansville does as well. If you lose 3-4 games, I think someone will be right there ; if not, then you'll win by a good margin.

I agree that individual teams rise and fall, but WSU does bring a lot of its team back, from a team that did dominate the Valley last year. Jacobsen has been consistent, but he's been consistently mediocre the last 4 years. Marshall has been pretty consistent with his style lately as well.

Anything can happen. You're right. The Valley will be better. WSU has proven their worth. It's the other teams that have the burden of proof that they have to establish to be competitive with WSU. It can happen. But until it does, it's hard not to fault some fans for thinking otherwise - given the recent history.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » September 28th, 2014, 7:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
I agree with most of your post too. And I've not seen any posts suggesting that WSU isn't the class of the Valley right now? To suggest otherwise would be foolish. I have a feeling that as long as Marshall is your coach you will have sustained excellence.

But that doesn't mean that year after year no one in the Valley will challenge you? I think it's certainly possible that UNI mounts a challenge this year. My Bears could too if some things break right but I think that is more likely in 2015/16 when we'll have a senior laden team. Staying on top year after year requires not just talent but also a certain amount of luck even for a coach like Marshall.

Of course WSU isn't going to dominate forever. I'm not saying they will. All I am saying is based off of the last couple years and the players coming back, it's going to be hard going into preseason saying that WSU is not the overwhelming favorite this year. UNI brings back everybody from a team that finished .500. Experience is there, but they have to start winning games. They will be top half, but unless WSU loses 4 or 5 games, do you really think they'll go from .500 to 15-3 in the Valley? I suppose it could happen but I think even UNI fans would admit that would be going out on a limb this year.

Nobody knows what exactly what will happen this year. But based on everything we know before the season starts, I don't think it's far-fetched for WSU fans to feel the Valley is still a step behind. Fair?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » September 28th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0.

A cynic would point out that virtually none of that happens if CU was in the Valley last year. Sure as heck wouldn't have won Arch Madness.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 28th, 2014, 7:32 pm

bigdawg wrote:
Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0.

A cynic would point out that virtually none of that happens if CU was in the Valley last year. Sure as heck wouldn't have won Arch Madness.

Worst case scenario is WSU finishes with 1 title and is 43-11 during that time. Is there a reason you think CU was better than WSU last year? It certainly was an easier run at 21-0 without them.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 28th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Championz wrote:
glm38 wrote:
I agree with most of your post too. And I've not seen any posts suggesting that WSU isn't the class of the Valley right now? To suggest otherwise would be foolish. I have a feeling that as long as Marshall is your coach you will have sustained excellence.

But that doesn't mean that year after year no one in the Valley will challenge you? I think it's certainly possible that UNI mounts a challenge this year. My Bears could too if some things break right but I think that is more likely in 2015/16 when we'll have a senior laden team. Staying on top year after year requires not just talent but also a certain amount of luck even for a coach like Marshall.

Of course WSU isn't going to dominate forever. I'm not saying they will. All I am saying is based off of the last couple years and the players coming back, it's going to be hard going into preseason saying that WSU is not the overwhelming favorite this year. UNI brings back everybody from a team that finished .500. Experience is there, but they have to start winning games. They will be top half, but unless WSU loses 4 or 5 games, do you really think they'll go from .500 to 15-3 in the Valley? I suppose it could happen but I think even UNI fans would admit that would be going out on a limb this year.

Nobody knows what exactly what will happen this year. But based on everything we know before the season starts, I don't think it's far-fetched for WSU fans to feel the Valley is still a step behind. Fair?

Yes I agree with you - WSU is the overwhelming favorite. And that will probably be the case for the next couple of years (until Baker and FVV graduate). Lots of young talent in the Valley though and that could make things really interesting.......
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » September 28th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Wufan wrote:
bigdawg wrote:

Worst case scenario is WSU finishes with 1 title and is 43-11 during that time. Is there a reason you think CU was better than WSU last year? It certainly was an easier run at 21-0 without them.

To answer your question, Creighton was the league and tourney champion and returned the eventual national player of the year as well as pretty much their entire team.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball