Missing Creighton

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missing Creighton

Postby bigdawg » September 28th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0.

A cynic would point out that virtually none of that happens if CU was in the Valley last year. Sure as heck wouldn't have won Arch Madness.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » September 28th, 2014, 7:32 pm

bigdawg wrote:
Championz wrote:I like WSU's trend line recently in the Valley. 46-8 in the Valley in the last 3 years, 2 Valley titles in that stretch, and they're bringing back the majority of the players on a team that went 18-0.

A cynic would point out that virtually none of that happens if CU was in the Valley last year. Sure as heck wouldn't have won Arch Madness.

Worst case scenario is WSU finishes with 1 title and is 43-11 during that time. Is there a reason you think CU was better than WSU last year? It certainly was an easier run at 21-0 without them.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 28th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Championz wrote:
glm38 wrote:
I agree with most of your post too. And I've not seen any posts suggesting that WSU isn't the class of the Valley right now? To suggest otherwise would be foolish. I have a feeling that as long as Marshall is your coach you will have sustained excellence.

But that doesn't mean that year after year no one in the Valley will challenge you? I think it's certainly possible that UNI mounts a challenge this year. My Bears could too if some things break right but I think that is more likely in 2015/16 when we'll have a senior laden team. Staying on top year after year requires not just talent but also a certain amount of luck even for a coach like Marshall.

Of course WSU isn't going to dominate forever. I'm not saying they will. All I am saying is based off of the last couple years and the players coming back, it's going to be hard going into preseason saying that WSU is not the overwhelming favorite this year. UNI brings back everybody from a team that finished .500. Experience is there, but they have to start winning games. They will be top half, but unless WSU loses 4 or 5 games, do you really think they'll go from .500 to 15-3 in the Valley? I suppose it could happen but I think even UNI fans would admit that would be going out on a limb this year.

Nobody knows what exactly what will happen this year. But based on everything we know before the season starts, I don't think it's far-fetched for WSU fans to feel the Valley is still a step behind. Fair?

Yes I agree with you - WSU is the overwhelming favorite. And that will probably be the case for the next couple of years (until Baker and FVV graduate). Lots of young talent in the Valley though and that could make things really interesting.......
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » September 28th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Wufan wrote:
bigdawg wrote:

Worst case scenario is WSU finishes with 1 title and is 43-11 during that time. Is there a reason you think CU was better than WSU last year? It certainly was an easier run at 21-0 without them.

To answer your question, Creighton was the league and tourney champion and returned the eventual national player of the year as well as pretty much their entire team.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » September 28th, 2014, 8:18 pm

bigdawg wrote:

So what's your point? If CU was in the Valley last year, WSU wouldn't be trending well and wouldn't be the overwhelming favorite this year?

I get that you're taking a jab at WSU, but what does it have to do with the point being made?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » September 29th, 2014, 5:56 am

Championz wrote:
bigdawg wrote:

So what's your point? If CU was in the Valley last year, WSU wouldn't be trending well and wouldn't be the overwhelming favorite this year?

I get that you're taking a jab at WSU, but what does it have to do with the point being made?

WSU fans get so defensive. The point I'm making is that your trend line looks really good in the one year of league play without the team that owned the league for the past decade or more. That's my point. It's pretty simple.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » September 29th, 2014, 8:24 am

bigdawg wrote:WSU fans get so defensive. The point I'm making is that your trend line looks really good in the one year of league play without the team that owned the league for the past decade or more. That's my point. It's pretty simple.

One year? I'd say WSU has done pretty well for themselves in the last half-decade and has held their own or exceeded the play of Creighton, both head-to-head and in the standings during that time period.

No one is getting defensive except for your lame attempt at trolling a thread.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jwa123 » September 29th, 2014, 9:23 am

Championz wrote:
bigdawg wrote:WSU fans get so defensive. The point I'm making is that your trend line looks really good in the one year of league play without the team that owned the league for the past decade or more. That's my point. It's pretty simple.

One year? I'd say WSU has done pretty well for themselves in the last half-decade and has held their own or exceeded the play of Creighton, both head-to-head and in the standings during that time period.

No one is getting defensive except for your lame attempt at trolling a thread.

Yawn...
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » September 29th, 2014, 10:54 am

What I'm getting from this thread is that fans would rather have their teams finish 3rd/4th and within 4-5 games of 1st than finish 2nd/3rd and finish 6-8 games back.

There is an awful lot of "WSU isn't all that good because they couldn't go undefeated until Creighton wasn't in the league any more." That brings a couple of things to mind.

1. What does that say about the rest of the teams in the league?
2. If your argument ever hinges on "well you definitely wouldn't have gone undefeated if xyz" and your team had more than 1 loss you should probably reconsider using that as smack talk.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » September 29th, 2014, 10:57 am

lol at saluki fan using a departed team who wouldn't piss on carbondale if it were on fire as a proxy for issuing pot shots.

non-wsu schools should miss creighton this year. easy home w's are in demand in the valley.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball