Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 5th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 6th, 2014, 5:59 am

Evansville
36%
Illinois State
46%
Missouri State
13%
Northern Iowa
3%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 70

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Postby stl scooter » October 4th, 2014, 12:24 pm

glm38 wrote:Part of my problem with Marty is his utilization of Mock. That guy is so talented. He shot 62% from the field. 62%! Yet he wasnt a focal point of the offense? Thats crazy. Blake Simmons got more shots than Mock did. I know a little of that can be attributed to foul trouble but most of the blame for that inequity is on the coach and the system.

When he wasn't in foul trouble, his production was much higher.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stl scooter » October 4th, 2014, 12:31 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Iv also been picking Evansville lately I think they'll finish 7th. Like ballentine like mock but don't like Marty, role players, or how they run their offense thru just one guy mainly.

This is exactly my feelings except I even like some of their role players. They have talent. What they don't have is a good coach and a system of play that actually equate to success. Screens and jump shots can only get you so far. If you don't believe me then please point out a time that Marty's system has led to any true success in the Valley. He's been mediocre to the conference doormat for years. You can't really believe he's going to make any kind of turnaround without making big adjustments to his system. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be looking at an Indiana St, Southern, MSU or Illinois St to piece everything together and finish in the top half before I gamble on Screen-and-Chuck University. I just don't think it's a recipe for meaningful and consistent success at the Division I level

UE was first in field goal % (.464), second in free throws attempted (830), and last in 3 point attempts (398). The statistics do not indicate that Evansville uses a lot of 'Screens and jump shots.' Most of the season, UE fans were frustrated that some of the players passed up too many open jump shots.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » October 6th, 2014, 10:37 am

bigdawg wrote:Since it's obvious that UE and ISUred are the next two schools, I propose that we skip the vote for 4th and just start voting for 3rd place next week.

Why vote at all? It's the Aces fourth, Mo. St. third, UNI second, and WSU first.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » October 6th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Come on! This is just a fun activity to kill time until the season and spur some conversation.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » October 6th, 2014, 3:26 pm

stl scooter wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Iv also been picking Evansville lately I think they'll finish 7th. Like ballentine like mock but don't like Marty, role players, or how they run their offense thru just one guy mainly.

This is exactly my feelings except I even like some of their role players. They have talent. What they don't have is a good coach and a system of play that actually equate to success. Screens and jump shots can only get you so far. If you don't believe me then please point out a time that Marty's system has led to any true success in the Valley. He's been mediocre to the conference doormat for years. You can't really believe he's going to make any kind of turnaround without making big adjustments to his system. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be looking at an Indiana St, Southern, MSU or Illinois St to piece everything together and finish in the top half before I gamble on Screen-and-Chuck University. I just don't think it's a recipe for meaningful and consistent success at the Division I level

UE was first in field goal % (.464), second in free throws attempted (830), and last in 3 point attempts (398). The statistics do not indicate that Evansville uses a lot of 'Screens and jump shots.' Most of the season, UE fans were frustrated that some of the players passed up too many open jump shots.

Now, granted, I didn't see ever UE game last season....but the last 6 years or so UE's entire offense has been predicated (from my clearly uneducated eye) on running 1 guy off of a f*** ton of screens and him taking 60% of the shots.

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe the numbers will prove me wrong...

Maybe.

Maybe Loyola goes undefeated in conference play this year too....

Maybe.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » October 7th, 2014, 6:51 am

Based on an earlier suggestion, the past 2 votes have clearly identified Illinois State and Evansville as the next two teams so we will move to the top 3 with the next vote.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball