Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 5th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 6th, 2014, 5:59 am

Evansville
36%
Illinois State
46%
Missouri State
13%
Northern Iowa
3%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 70

Postby MVCfans » September 29th, 2014, 5:59 am

Each week we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2014-15 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining in week 9.

SIU was selected as the 6th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3848 )

Week - Who will finish in 5th place during the 2014-15 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 5th place for this regular season. Poll open until Monday, October 6.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
10th Place - Loyola
9th Place - Drake
8th Place - Bradley
7th Place - Indiana State
6h Place - Southern Illinois
5th - ........
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2014-15 MVCfans.com Prediction - 5th Place

Postby Wufan » September 29th, 2014, 6:28 am

I struggled over this pick.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 29th, 2014, 10:16 am

Wufan wrote:I struggled over this pick.

I've been picking Evansville for several weeks, not stopping now. I'm still expecting a couple forwards to transfer...even if they don't, we honestly believe that things have changed with Marty?
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bmarq04 » September 29th, 2014, 10:40 am

I can see ISUr finishing 4th. I can't see Evansville better than 5th.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Rollbird5 » September 29th, 2014, 11:14 am

Iv also been picking Evansville lately I think they'll finish 7th. Like ballentine like mock but don't like Marty, role players, or how they run their offense thru just one guy mainly.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » September 29th, 2014, 11:32 am

Rollbird5 wrote:Iv also been picking Evansville lately I think they'll finish 7th. Like ballentine like mock but don't like Marty, role players, or how they run their offense thru just one guy mainly.

This is exactly my feelings except I even like some of their role players. They have talent. What they don't have is a good coach and a system of play that actually equate to success. Screens and jump shots can only get you so far. If you don't believe me then please point out a time that Marty's system has led to any true success in the Valley. He's been mediocre to the conference doormat for years. You can't really believe he's going to make any kind of turnaround without making big adjustments to his system. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be looking at an Indiana St, Southern, MSU or Illinois St to piece everything together and finish in the top half before I gamble on Screen-and-Chuck University. I just don't think it's a recipe for meaningful and consistent success at the Division I level
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 29th, 2014, 11:41 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Iv also been picking Evansville lately I think they'll finish 7th. Like ballentine like mock but don't like Marty, role players, or how they run their offense thru just one guy mainly.

This is exactly my feelings except I even like some of their role players. They have talent. What they don't have is a good coach and a system of play that actually equate to success. Screens and jump shots can only get you so far. If you don't believe me then please point out a time that Marty's system has led to any true success in the Valley. He's been mediocre to the conference doormat for years. You can't really believe he's going to make any kind of turnaround without making big adjustments to his system. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd be looking at an Indiana St, Southern, MSU or Illinois St to piece everything together and finish in the top half before I gamble on Screen-and-Chuck University. I just don't think it's a recipe for meaningful and consistent success at the Division I level

Do any other Valley coaches have 2 wins against a Final Four team, much less in the same year? I DIDN'T THINK SO. Marty for CoY.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 29th, 2014, 11:43 am

This year (and next if he's still coaching) will be the litmus test for Marty.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 29th, 2014, 11:54 am

Wufan wrote:This year (and next if he's still coaching) will be the litmus test for Marty.

IMO, he shouldn't get next year unless this year is a success. If you can't prove it in 8 years, you probably aren't going to in 9. I know he has a core group that will be seniors next year, but he's already been given the senior year of one core group, and if he can't get the junior version of this group to perform, I don't understand extending him. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Evansville lived up to (or close to) their potential this year, which could be quite solid, and bought Marty more time.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » September 29th, 2014, 1:00 pm

I certainly don't disagree with questioning Marty's ability to coach. But neither Lusk or Muller has shown any ability yet either. I will vote ISU Red here only due to my thought that UE may have a little more talent. Certainly these three can be mixed however you wish.

I'm with you guys, if Marty fails to win this year, there can't be a next.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball