MVC Insider: Valley's plans to beef up schedules

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Insider: Valley's plans to beef up schedules

Postby mvcfan » October 2nd, 2014, 5:59 pm

mvcfan wrote:
saluki762 wrote:As long as SIU isn't going to contend for a title, I hope we continue to schedule crappy teams. I like to watch wins. I would rather watch good wins but I would take 20 wins against terrible teams as opposed to 12 over good teams.

As a side benefit it is fun to see you all cry about other peoples schedules.

Here are some teams you can compete with (just a small taste of it) Ha Ha. But the bright side is that you win 20+.
204 Hampton
222 Morgan State
254 Norfolk State
284 Savannah State
297 Florida A&M
299 Coppin State
322 Delaware State
334 Howard
339 NC A&T
340 Md.-Eastern Shore(UMES)
342 Bethune-Cookman
343 SC State

The sad thing is that I watched you last year and I think that you can do much better than this and win quite a few more than 12 games.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby saluki762 » October 2nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

mvcfan wrote:
saluki762 wrote:As long as SIU isn't going to contend for a title, I hope we continue to schedule crappy teams. I like to watch wins. I would rather watch good wins but I would take 20 wins against terrible teams as opposed to 12 over good teams.

"Southern Illinois (227.6) plays eight teams who finished 250 or worse a year ago."

Are they really that bad? Surely, they can't be that bad. That's the bottom 1/3 of the entire NCAA Div. I. If they can't do better than that, maybe SIU should be in the SWAC Conference.

I don't think most people realize how bad Lowery left it. It's only year 3 of a rebuild, I actually think Hinson is ahead of schedule. As a fan I hope we are at the middle third scheduling next year. It will be his first Sr. class. That said, I expected at least 6 years before we could even imagine a top 3 finish. It's getting better but SIU isn't close to WSU or UNI yet. Much more comparable to the teams on our schedule. With a young team, a little confidence could really help next year.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » October 3rd, 2014, 7:25 am

This is like "do what I say or else!"... "Or else what?".... "or else you'll be sorry!"... Umm okay.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby achrist70 » October 3rd, 2014, 12:21 pm

Personally I would think that these schools who are struggling so weak would want to schedule harder for recruiting purposes. Yes a recruit looks at the number of wins you get, but I would think that a recruit would rather go up against teams that they have heard of instead of Maryland Eastern Shore, and whatever other podunk school can be found.

I know a UNI game vs. VCU will be televised probably on an ESPN network, or NBC sports, a crappy game wont.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » October 3rd, 2014, 4:18 pm

I have no problem with this.
So long as the program is willing to forego the NCAA shares being earned by other teams in the conference. If this is your approach, you are deliberately inhibiting conference teams' ability to build NCAA-worthy resume's and hurting seeding if they do get in.

Dips in scheduling during a rebuild are completely fine. But excusing them as a long-term philosophy for your program so the coach can keep racking up 20 win seasons shouldn't be tolerated by the conference.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 4th, 2014, 10:47 am

I'm willing to give Hinson lot of slack, He inherited disster.

Maybe the plan at SIU is to rack up some wins to get the fanbase back and build some attendance numbers. If SIU were playing a tough home schedule and not winning games, it would only make it more difficult to get butts in seats.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » October 4th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Aargh wrote:I'm willing to give Hinson lot of slack, He inherited disster.

Maybe the plan at SIU is to rack up some wins to get the fanbase back and build some attendance numbers. If SIU were playing a tough home schedule and not winning games, it would only make it more difficult to get butts in seats.

Who said anything about playing tough home schedule. The non-conference doesn't need to be Top 1/3 but it doesn't need to be Bottom 1/3 either.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball