MVC Insider: Valley's plans to beef up schedules

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Insider: Valley's plans to beef up schedules

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 2nd, 2014, 9:41 am

Mostly good ideas, a couple quibbles:

1) The top teams will be scheduling tough enough. We don't need guidelines for Wichita and UNI. They know what they're doing. I suppose it's good to have that safeguard in for when a BU, DU, or SIU get good and they have to schedule accordingly.

2) You should be attacking the problem from the bottom up, not the top down. The key isn't top 50, it's bottom 50.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby saluki762 » October 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am

As long as SIU isn't going to contend for a title, I hope we continue to schedule crappy teams. I like to watch wins. I would rather watch good wins but I would take 20 wins against terrible teams as opposed to 12 over good teams.

As a side benefit it is fun to see you all cry about other peoples schedules.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » October 2nd, 2014, 1:26 pm

Barry needs to schedule appropriate for his team. Right now, he needs to get his guys used to winning a lot of games and he needs to win a lot of games to keep his job and build a program. Sucks for the rest of us to have this dragging down our RPI but it is what it is. I just hope he starts scheduling up as his program improves.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » October 2nd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't going to work?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » October 2nd, 2014, 3:52 pm

Red wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this isn't going to work?

nope
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » October 2nd, 2014, 4:28 pm

saluki762 wrote:As long as SIU isn't going to contend for a title, I hope we continue to schedule crappy teams. I like to watch wins. I would rather watch good wins but I would take 20 wins against terrible teams as opposed to 12 over good teams.

"Southern Illinois (227.6) plays eight teams who finished 250 or worse a year ago."

Are they really that bad? Surely, they can't be that bad. That's the bottom 1/3 of the entire NCAA Div. I. If they can't do better than that, maybe SIU should be in the SWAC Conference.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » October 2nd, 2014, 4:33 pm

Red wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this isn't going to work?

Times two. This is a complete waste of time.

And for the record, scheduling shitty does NOTHING for your program except extend contracts for the head coach. NOTHING.

I'm not saying you have to play DUKE 12 times, but there is NO excuse for SIU's schedule this year, none. Likewise Evansville. Both programs should absorb MASSIVE financial penalties for that crap.

Missouri State should get a warning shot. They are way too good for that shithole of a schedule. Loyola should be on the clock as well.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » October 2nd, 2014, 5:57 pm

saluki762 wrote:As long as SIU isn't going to contend for a title, I hope we continue to schedule crappy teams. I like to watch wins. I would rather watch good wins but I would take 20 wins against terrible teams as opposed to 12 over good teams.

Here are some teams you can compete with (just a small taste of it) Ha Ha. But the bright side is that you win 20+.
204 Hampton
222 Morgan State
254 Norfolk State
284 Savannah State
297 Florida A&M
299 Coppin State
322 Delaware State
334 Howard
339 NC A&T
340 Md.-Eastern Shore(UMES)
342 Bethune-Cookman
343 SC State ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » October 2nd, 2014, 5:59 pm

mvcfan wrote:

Here are some teams you can compete with (just a small taste of it) Ha Ha. But the bright side is that you win 20+.
204 Hampton
222 Morgan State
254 Norfolk State
284 Savannah State
297 Florida A&M
299 Coppin State
322 Delaware State
334 Howard
339 NC A&T
340 Md.-Eastern Shore(UMES)
342 Bethune-Cookman
343 SC State

The sad thing is that I watched you last year and I think that you can do much better than this and win quite a few more than 12 games.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » October 2nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

mvcfan wrote:

"Southern Illinois (227.6) plays eight teams who finished 250 or worse a year ago."

Are they really that bad? Surely, they can't be that bad. That's the bottom 1/3 of the entire NCAA Div. I. If they can't do better than that, maybe SIU should be in the SWAC Conference.

I don't think most people realize how bad Lowery left it. It's only year 3 of a rebuild, I actually think Hinson is ahead of schedule. As a fan I hope we are at the middle third scheduling next year. It will be his first Sr. class. That said, I expected at least 6 years before we could even imagine a top 3 finish. It's getting better but SIU isn't close to WSU or UNI yet. Much more comparable to the teams on our schedule. With a young team, a little confidence could really help next year.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball