Is WSU a Mid Major?

No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby Ghost » October 20th, 2014, 11:26 am

What I said is that VCU, Butler and George Mason were considered mid majors at least until they moved up in conference. I also said that most publications do not treat the A10 as a midmajor conference.

To answer your question, I think everyone in a one bid league is a mid major. Right now I'd say that WSU is to the MVC as Butler was to the Horizon.
Ghost
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » October 20th, 2014, 11:44 am

Ghost wrote:To answer your question, I think everyone in a one bid league is a mid major. Right now I'd say that WSU is to the MVC as Butler was to the Horizon.

This is accurate.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ghost » October 20th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Wufan said, "In the last three years, WSU is 5-3 in the NCAA."

This is correct, but it needs to be noted that 4 of the wins came in one year; the other years Wsu had zero wins and one win. That seems to support the argument that WSU is a mid major that had one really, really great year.
Ghost
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Wufan » October 20th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Ghost wrote:Wufan said, "In the last three years, WSU is 5-3 in the NCAA."

This is correct, but it needs to be noted that 4 of the wins came in one year; the other years Wsu had zero wins and one win. That seems to support the argument that WSU is a mid major that had one really, really great year.

Since you already defined a major as playing in a multi-bid league, and we don't there is no reason to continue your hotly held contention that WSU is inferior. Go ahead and run the numbers for VCU, BU, and George Mason for the past decade. We will be one better than Mason and one worse than VCU. I disagree with your assessment, however there s no point arguing since we don't agree on the definition.
Last edited by Wufan on October 20th, 2014, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 20th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Ghost wrote:Wufan said, "In the last three years, WSU is 5-3 in the NCAA."

BTW, it you remove the best year from the three aforementioned in the last 3 years. VCU IS 1-2, Butler is 0-0, George Mason is 0-0. If you give them their best year back, VCU is 2-3, Butler is 1-1, GM is still 0-0.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 20th, 2014, 1:14 pm

It's become painfully obvious that Ghost is a disgruntled troll with an ax to grind.

I love how he uses the point that since most media members don't consider the A-10 mid-major, then it is gospel. But if most media doesn't include WSU as mid-major, it's not the same.

Gonzaga is not mid-major. Memphis was not mid-major. WSU is not mid-major. The blanket conference affiliation arguments don't fly. WSU is not like or run like any other program in the Valley. They aren't mid-major for having to play 9 mid-major schools twice in a year. It's such a lame argument and is only used to discredit WSU. It doesn't even make any sense.

But then again, a lot of Valley fans want to consider WSU an equal so it doesn't make their programs look inferior.

I'm curious as to what school Ghost is a fan of. Probably not even a fan of somebody in this conference.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » October 20th, 2014, 2:16 pm

This is really kind of a pointless and idiotic discussion. Regardless of any label the Shockers have been an elite program the last few years. The big questions to me are: can they climb even higher? And/ or sustain their current excellence?

Undoubtedly there is some jealousy among rival MVC fans. That's only natural isn't it. We all want our teams at that level. But personally I love having a team from MY conference playing at an elite level.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 20th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Ghost wrote:What I said is that VCU, Butler and George Mason were considered mid majors at least until they moved up in conference. I also said that most publications do not treat the A10 as a midmajor conference.

To answer your question, I think everyone in a one bid league is a mid major. Right now I'd say that WSU is to the MVC as Butler was to the Horizon.

Even in a weakened state, the MVC in any incarnation is better than the Horizon was in any incarnation.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Valley_Fan » October 20th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Championz wrote:Gonzaga is not mid-major. Memphis was not mid-major. WSU is not mid-major. The blanket conference affiliation arguments don't fly.

If the shockers go 15-15, is anyone saying "WSU is not mid-major"? If Northwestern goes 2-28, is anyone calling them a mid-major? Mid-major is tied to conference, not team.

The problem is the term is watered down. In no way should the MVC be compared to the Horizon if you compare money spent, support, etc.
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Brot4britu » October 20th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Shockers are at the moment one of the top MM's around--as was Butler. The Dawgs ventured into the Big East and are at best also rans. Shockers like Butler are not majors. I do though resent the delineation --It should not exist--The all knowing media created this and the NCAA went along maybe only passively BUT went along none the less. Having written this , I hope the Shockers walk or run all over these so-called Majors
Brot4britu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball