Is WSU a Mid Major?

No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby mvcfan » October 21st, 2014, 10:34 pm

Ghost wrote:If you are linking fansided polls to support your argument, you've already lost.

You really are a genius. :huh: :P
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -rankings/
Obviously, there are a number of national type of journalists/bloggers who disagree with you.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2014, 5:14 am

Ghost wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Ghost wrote:Mid major is a title that is assigned purely and solely based on conference affiliation.

That's your opinion, and that's fine, but it certainly isn't the concensus.

Actually, I think it is. However, if you want to give me a list of schools from power conferences that are considered mid majors by the consensus, along with coresponding links, I'll listen.

That was never the question put forth...that a team from a power conference would be considered a mid-major. I agree that all P5 schools are considered major by association. The argument was that WSU was not considered to be a mid-major, and at least two lists from national media sites have been posted which exclude WSU from the mid-major list; therefore it's not a concensus.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ghost » October 22nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

Wufan wrote:That was never the question put forth...that a team from a power conference would be considered a mid-major. I agree that all P5 schools are considered major by association.

I think you get all caught up in the exact wording and are not seeing the bigger picture.

Think about it a moment. As you said, "all P5 schools are considered major by association." Since that essentially means that by merely being in a P5 conference a school is major forever (or at least as long at the school stays in a P5 conference which is probably forever), the quality of the program on the basketball court is irrelevant!

Now, since all of that is true, consider the result. If one is really excited about arguing that WSU has shed the mid major tag, all it really means, since success is not part of the formula, is that they are on the same level as schools such as Northwestern, Penn State and Oregon State. Congratulations? I would argue that WSu has already surpassed those other programs despite being in a mid major league.

Major and mid major do NOT denote quality of a program, NCAA tourney success (Northwestern has never even made the dance and Nebraska has never won a game) or even attendance (there are tons of Majors with horrible attendance). That's why I think that some WSU backers who think it is really important that they not be called mid major, like the poster that started this thread (and the corresponding dumb poll with no "yes" option), really don't understand what they are even asking for.
Ghost
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Championz » October 22nd, 2014, 3:03 pm

Ghost is that DoubleJayAlum person. He gave it away with his "WSu" typo, which he did a lot.

That just makes this even more pathetic on all sorts of levels. Get over the Valley, dude. You're not in it anymore. Go make your mark on a Mid-Major East board.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2014, 5:58 pm

Ghost wrote:
Wufan wrote:That was never the question put forth...that a team from a power conference would be considered a mid-major. I agree that all P5 schools are considered major by association.

I think you get all caught up in the exact wording and are not seeing the bigger picture.

Think about it a moment. As you said, "all P5 schools are considered major by association." Since that essentially means that by merely being in a P5 conference a school is major forever (or at least as long at the school stays in a P5 conference which is probably forever), the quality of the program on the basketball court is irrelevant!

Now, since all of that is true, consider the result. If one is really excited about arguing that WSU has shed the mid major tag, all it really means, since success is not part of the formula, is that they are on the same level as schools such as Northwestern, Penn State and Oregon State. Congratulations? I would argue that WSu has already surpassed those other programs despite being in a mid major league.

Major and mid major do NOT denote quality of a program, NCAA tourney success (Northwestern has never even made the dance and Nebraska has never won a game) or even attendance (there are tons of Majors with horrible attendance). That's why I think that some WSU backers who think it is really important that they not be called mid major, like the poster that started this thread (and the corresponding dumb poll with no "yes" option), really don't understand what they are even asking for.

And I would say you are caught up in trying to prove that WSU is not a major.

Besides that, there is some disagreement on what conferences/schools outside the P5 are considered major. The A-10, Big East, MWC, and AAC all bounce in and out, though most have them as in currently. Additionally, the realignment has required additional consideration on what conferences consist of major programs. The current definition that I see most often for schools outside the P5 is sustained success with resources to perpetuate the success for the foreseeable future. This a where I would put WSU, Gonzaga, and VCU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 27th, 2014, 11:11 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/10/26/college-basketball-countdown-no-11-wichita-state/17908307/

Granted, Wichita State has shed the mid-major label in many ways in the same way that Gonzaga did in the last decade.

It's just a USA Today article so it might not be credible enough, but when I read it, I thought about this thread. Not that it'll matter much.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » October 27th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Championz wrote:
It's just a USA Today article so it might not be credible enough, but when I read it, I thought about this thread. Not that it'll matter much.

Under no circumstances, should this thread be thought of again. :D
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ShoxNAwe » November 7th, 2014, 11:10 pm

I wonder if Marshall will be conducting seminars at the MVC Coaches Meetings in St. Louis:

“You always want to take a good hard look at what the leader in the conference is doing and replicate it as much as possible,” Moccia said. “We can’t necessarily buy the amount of games that Wichita can, but … maybe we could buy another one. People would be foolish if they weren’t kind of looking under Wichita’s hood and seeing how the engine works and trying to take the best parts of that.”

WSU’s recruiting reach is growing, as commitments from two athletes ranked in the top 100 for the class of 2015 by national recruiting services show. Three Shockers — Gal Mekel, Toure Murry, Cleanthony Early — are on NBA rosters. No other MVC school can claim one.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... rylink=cpy
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 8th, 2014, 7:01 am

Some good MVC history at the beginning and end of the article.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 8th, 2014, 9:20 am

Who is Gal Mekel? I'm unfamiliar with that name
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball