No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby ptownbraves » October 12th, 2014, 8:34 am

Championz wrote:
So Gonzaga is a mid-major and TCU is a major.

Mid-major classification is more about the conference you play in than the individual team. WSU is the biggest fish in the Valley pond, but at the end of the day, TCU is swimming with Kansas and WSU is swimming with Loyola.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » October 12th, 2014, 9:52 am

ptownbraves wrote:
Championz wrote:
So Gonzaga is a mid-major and TCU is a major.

Mid-major classification is more about the conference you play in than the individual team. WSU is the biggest fish in the Valley pond, but at the end of the day, TCU is swimming with Kansas and WSU is swimming with Loyola.

I disagree. To me that label is a reflection of the resources and opportunities made available to your team. Someone mentioned Butler earlier as a comparison due to their national success, but I don't think it's all that fair. Butler is a small private school with decent facilities and resources but nothing compared to WSU. Honestly $$ is what truly determines these labels and I'd bet Wichita State has the financial resources to stack up fairly with a number of programs that like to consider themselves "big boys".
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird23 » October 12th, 2014, 10:04 am

I think it should be based on your conference and I see the Valley as a Mountain West or a glorified WAC. I wouldn't say Major but FUWU is a step above mid major same as a San Diego State
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 12th, 2014, 12:30 pm

You're never going to get people to agree on what the term "mid major" actually is supposed to mean. And without that, there's no chance anyone will be able to agree to anything in this thread.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Rollbird5 » October 12th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Conference is basically what defines major or mid-major. If your not in the big ten big 12 PAC 12 sec big east or Acc your classified as mid major. So Wichita st would have to be considered mid-major, at least your the best mid-major team out there!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » October 12th, 2014, 1:25 pm

If your team is a 'major,' you don't have to ask.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockem » October 12th, 2014, 1:35 pm

TCU may not be good at basketball but they are a nationally ranked in football. You could nitpick any program but that the end of the day we are stuck in the Valley and TCU is in the Big 12.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » October 12th, 2014, 6:49 pm

stl scooter wrote:If your team is a 'major,' you don't have to ask.

This
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 12th, 2014, 7:43 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:I disagree. To me that label is a reflection of the resources and opportunities made available to your team. Someone mentioned Butler earlier as a comparison due to their national success, but I don't think it's all that fair. Butler is a small private school with decent facilities and resources but nothing compared to WSU. Honestly $$ is what truly determines these labels and I'd bet Wichita State has the financial resources to stack up fairly with a number of programs that like to consider themselves "big boys".

I think this is one of the more logical posts on the subject. The term is more of individualized description than a grouping one. Resources is the key element of the term. Success also plays a role as well.

As AsianSensation stated, it depends how everybody defines the term. There is no "set" definition. It's not too surprising that most Valley fans think WSU is a mid-major because they want everybody in the Valley equal and don't want to be perceived as lesser than another school. So, in that regard, most of the responses on this subject in this type of forum is not surprising in the least. A few people get it though. And in the end, it really doesn't matter too much as the results speak for themselves and that's really what counts.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » October 12th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Who cares?
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball