Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » October 13th, 2014, 8:49 am

stl scooter wrote:If your team is a 'major,' you don't have to ask.

Yes.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » October 13th, 2014, 3:12 pm

I suppose it's possible to have major teams in mid-major conferences, but from a general perspective, you will always be associated with your peer group. Right or wrong, that is going to be your conference, and the level at which the conference is perceived to be.

I'll use the example of the Big West in the early 1990's...UNLV was competing for national championships, and the league was putting 3 teams into the tournament. It also was an FBS football league at the time, although not a very good one.

But UNLV even then was a threat to the establishment.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUShock » October 14th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Winning against the BS BCS schools makes the label more and more irrelevant.

Keep winning.

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » October 15th, 2014, 4:35 am

To me besides conference affiliation, another key determinant is not what happens when you are being wildly successful, but what happens when you're only pretty good, A pretty good MAJOR can be 3rd or 4th in their conference, bow out in the conference tourney in the semis and still be a safe NCAA tourney pick. Anyone here believe that could happen for any Valley team currently, The last time it did, the establishment went into melt down and the Valley hasn't sniffed similar success since.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby blackandgold » October 15th, 2014, 8:13 am

blackandgold
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Championz » October 15th, 2014, 9:23 am

blackandgold wrote:http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/2014-2015-season-preview-mid-major-power-rankings/

That pretty much sums it up.

Kind of funny how members of the national media have a higher regard for WSU than most fans of the conference they're playing in. Like I said earlier, not surprising.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shock » October 15th, 2014, 9:35 am

For those of you who missed it--

A quick disclaimer before I begin, because determining who qualifies as a mid-major and who doesn’t is always a touchy subject. Here is how we broke it down for these rankings: The Mountain West, the Big East, the Atlantic 10 and the American were all, by default, barred from these rankings. The WCC was eligible with the exception of Gonzaga and BYU. The Missouri Valley was eligible with the exception of Wichita State. Everyone else was fair game.

Why did we eliminate the Shockers from contention? Well, the complicated answer is that “high-major” delegation is more about financial resources, support from the university, the fan base and the community, and consistent, high-level success during the season and on the recruiting trail, but the simple answer is that the Shockers would be the clear-cut No. 1 team here and it’s more fun to do this without them involved. Our rankings, our rules. Deal with it.
Our last five are still collectively better than your starting lineup.
shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » October 15th, 2014, 11:23 am

Championz wrote:
blackandgold wrote:http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/2014-2015-season-preview-mid-major-power-rankings/

That pretty much sums it up.

Kind of funny how members of the national media have a higher regard for WSU than most fans of the conference they're playing in. Like I said earlier, not surprising.

Ahh. So Rob Dauster says WSU is not a mid major so that sums it up right? And his opinion matters more why?

So because some fans don't call WSU a "major" then that means they hold them in low regard? Come on.

Honestly, what doesn't it even matter? If you are good at basketball and know it, why do you need validation from other MVC fans or the "national media"? Does being called major or mid major by random people change anything? Does OFFICIALLY being called "major" make every WSU fan grow two inches?

And, lastly, if you have to ask, then you aren't major. That goes for anyone who asks (Wichita, Creighton, Gonzaga). I know Kentucky, Wisconsin, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. never ask this question.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Valley_Fan » October 15th, 2014, 11:43 am

A bad big10 team is a major. A bad MVC team is a mid-major. Recent success does not make you a major program. If wsu goes 10-20, next year, does this question even get asked?
Valley_Fan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball