Is WSU a Mid Major?

No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby Cdizzle » October 15th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:If wsu goes 10-20, next year, does this question even get asked?

Nope. We'll all be too busy shivering due to sudden temperate changes to the underworld.

For the record, I think this thread makes WSU fans look unnecessarily insecure. Enjoy the ride.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » October 15th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Cdizzle wrote:For the record, I think this thread makes WSU fans look unnecessarily insecure. Enjoy the ride.

Right. That's my point. WSU is kicking the s*** out of everyone in the MVC right now and is a player on the national stage. Does the label matter?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 15th, 2014, 1:24 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Championz wrote:
blackandgold wrote:http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/2014-2015-season-preview-mid-major-power-rankings/

That pretty much sums it up.

Kind of funny how members of the national media have a higher regard for WSU than most fans of the conference they're playing in. Like I said earlier, not surprising.

Ahh. So Rob Dauster says WSU is not a mid major so that sums it up right? And his opinion matters more why?

So because some fans don't call WSU a "major" then that means they hold them in low regard? Come on.

Honestly, what doesn't it even matter? If you are good at basketball and know it, why do you need validation from other MVC fans or the "national media"? Does being called major or mid major by random people change anything? Does OFFICIALLY being called "major" make every WSU fan grow two inches?

And, lastly, if you have to ask, then you aren't major. That goes for anyone who asks (Wichita, Creighton, Gonzaga). I know Kentucky, Wisconsin, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. never ask this question.

If you would have read through the entire thread, you would have already seen that I said it doesn't matter. I was just pointing out the irony of it all. I get why Valley fans don't want WSU viewed as a major. It doesn't favor their programs very well.

The funny thing is about 8 years ago, you, and many others here were probably getting defensive about the Valley being labeled as a mid-major league. Does WSU's program fit more in with an Evansville, Missouri State, or a Bradley, or a Georgetown, Memphis, or Cincinnati? I personally like the writer's definition of the term and I think a lot of pundits feel the same way because it makes the most sense. Conference affiliation seems like a very generalized way of defining the term, but whatever.

By the same token, why does it matter what WSU fans think of themselves? Does it bother you that much that they think they're a step above an Evansville?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » October 15th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Valley_Fan wrote:A bad big10 team is a major. A bad MVC team is a mid-major. Recent success does not make you a major program. If wsu goes 10-20, next year, does this question even get asked?

Let's talk about reality please.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » October 15th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Championz wrote:The funny thing is about 8 years ago, you, and many others here were probably getting defensive about the Valley being labeled as a mid-major league. Does WSU's program fit more in with an Evansville, Missouri State, or a Bradley, or a Georgetown, Memphis, or Cincinnati? I personally like the writer's definition of the term and I think a lot of pundits feel the same way because it makes the most sense. Conference affiliation seems like a very generalized way of defining the term, but whatever.

By the same token, why does it matter what WSU fans think of themselves? Does it bother you that much that they think they're a step above an Evansville?

Personally, I've never given two craps about how the Valley is labeled by the media, fans, or anyone else. Sometimes the MVC is really good, other times it's not.

Right now Wichita State IS a step above Evansville. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that will always be the case. I can remember times when Wichita would have loved to have been at the level of Evansville. Or Bradley. Or Illinois State. Or SIU.

It's cyclical. So if you are calling Wichita "major" now do they drop out of that class once their dominant run ends? Will they be relegated like an EPL team?

Lastly, the "major"/"mid major" thing is dumb to me. There are schools with bigtime football and then everyone else.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » October 15th, 2014, 5:02 pm

It is all a matter of "when". I remember wondering if Indiana State would leave the conference as they were at the top of the National pile. I can also remember a run for Drake to be in the elite 8 and final four.
We have seen UNI knock off the nations top team, and other conference members battle to the wire with top national teams.

Wichita has it together recently and good for them, like any other time, things can change, which makes it interesting.

I don't take offense to the mid-major term, anyone who knows, really knows, about basketball understands where programs are at and what's up with most conferences. Like others have stated "mid-major" is a short cut to saying non-BCS football and probably smaller schools involved in conferences.

Good Luck to everyone this year.....win!
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 15th, 2014, 5:29 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Good Luck to everyone this year.....win!

This would make me so happy!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 15th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Also, I will say this:

When WSU graduates Baker and VanVleet and continues at the same high level, they will be considered an elite PROGRAM. When Marshall leaves or retires, and the success continues, WSU MIGHT be considered a Blue Blood program. Gonna have to win a National Championship though.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 15th, 2014, 7:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Personally, I've never given two craps about how the Valley is labeled by the media, fans, or anyone else. Sometimes the MVC is really good, other times it's not.

Right now Wichita State IS a step above Evansville. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that will always be the case. I can remember times when Wichita would have loved to have been at the level of Evansville. Or Bradley. Or Illinois State. Or SIU.

It's cyclical. So if you are calling Wichita "major" now do they drop out of that class once their dominant run ends? Will they be relegated like an EPL team?

Lastly, the "major"/"mid major" thing is dumb to me. There are schools with bigtime football and then everyone else.

It's easy to say you don't give a crap now, but I bet you felt differently at the time when the MVC/Bradley were in better standing. Frankly, when your team blows, you don't give a crap about most things. It makes sense.

Cyclical? Sure. But if you think cyclical means there is another program out there that's going to put out a Final Four and undefeated season in back-to-back years in the Valley, then I think you're mildly mistaken. This isn't just a fluky NCAA one-and-done; there's been some serious accomplishments that have gone on. Do you think a Valley team is a cycle away from a Top 2 national ranking? I doubt it.

The hope is for WSU's "run" to end. Teams get tired of the same teams taking it to them. But I'm not seeing much of a downfall, based on how WSU is run as a program and as long as Marshall is in place.

Based on your last two sentences, does that mean Georgetown or Villanova are not major? See, the definition is different for everybody.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » October 15th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Why did we eliminate the Shockers from contention? Well, the complicated answer is that “high-major” delegation is more about financial resources, support from the university, the fan base and the community, and consistent, high-level success during the season

Boy...that sounds familiar ;)
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball