Is WSU a Mid Major?

No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby Aargh » October 16th, 2014, 12:10 am

Right now Wichita State IS a step above Evansville.

The distance between the two is not "a step".

Replacing Early, an AA and now the NBA backup to Carmelo Anthony won't be easy. Replacing Baker (a probable AA and 20'ish NBA pick) won't be easy. Replacing VanVleet, a probable 2-year 1st team AA won't be easy.

Replacing Balentine, a 3-time 1st team MVC player won't be easy.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ghost » October 16th, 2014, 7:35 am

As long as the conference is a one bid league, all of the members will be considered mid major on a national level.
Ghost
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Play Angry » October 16th, 2014, 8:42 am

Definitely worth registering to make that point.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » October 16th, 2014, 9:02 am

Championz wrote:It's easy to say you don't give a crap now, but I bet you felt differently at the time when the MVC/Bradley were in better standing. Frankly, when your team blows, you don't give a crap about most things. It makes sense.

How about you stop trying to tell me how I do or did feel about something?

Honestly, I don't give two craps about how Bradley is or was perceived. I didn't fight the fight or care when BU was good. I don't need validation from other MVC fans nor from a random blogger.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » October 16th, 2014, 9:44 am

Ghost wrote:As long as the conference is a one bid league, all of the members will be considered mid major on a national level.

I don't agree. If WSU continues to dominate and make tourney runs the next few years the perception will change regardless of what the MVC does as a whole. They (the Shox) are in fact already seeing that with pre season publicity, all American candidates, etc.

The interesting thing will be when/if Marshall leaves and if success at the national level continues.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » October 16th, 2014, 9:44 am

Ghost wrote:As long as the conference is a one bid league, all of the members will be considered mid major on a national level.

I don't agree. If WSU continues to dominate and make tourney runs the next few years the perception will change regardless of what the MVC does as a whole. They (the Shox) are in fact already seeing that with pre season publicity, all American candidates, etc.

The interesting thing will be when/if Marshall leaves and if success at the national level continues.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bmarq04 » October 16th, 2014, 11:26 am

The definition if mid major is different for everyone.

A crap team from a "power 6" conference is typically awarded a major label by affiliation.

For a mid major team/conference, I think it takes long term sustained success to pull the label.

Has WSU played at a high major level the last 2 years, yes. No one would dispute that. For me, I need a longer sample size. Unfortunately, I don't have a set number that makes it. Gonzaga dominating everyone for years in their league and being an NCAA team and top 25 team year after year is what it takes. Memphis under coach Cal having years of top 5 and NCAA births and national runner up is what it takes.

For me, WSU isn't there....yet. They've had an amazing run and are on the way in my eyes. Give me a couple more years in the top 25, keep winning 14+ conf games and don't miss the Dance and I think it's enough to do it. Unfortunately, conference affiliation requires WSU to earn it more than some other schools who are "given" the high major label.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Play Angry » October 16th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Bmarq04 wrote:The definition if mid major is different for everyone.

A crap team from a "power 6" conference is typically awarded a major label by affiliation.

For a mid major team/conference, I think it takes long term sustained success to pull the label.

Has WSU played at a high major level the last 2 years, yes. No one would dispute that. For me, I need a longer sample size. Unfortunately, I don't have a set number that makes it. Gonzaga dominating everyone for years in their league and being an NCAA team and top 25 team year after year is what it takes. Memphis under coach Cal having years of top 5 and NCAA births and national runner up is what it takes.

For me, WSU isn't there....yet. They've had an amazing run and are on the way in my eyes. Give me a couple more years in the top 25, keep winning 14+ conf games and don't miss the Dance and I think it's enough to do it. Unfortunately, conference affiliation requires WSU to earn it more than some other schools who are "given" the high major label.

Although I disagree with the conclusion that WSU has not yet arrived, I think this is a fine and reasoned approach.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby purple&orange » October 16th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I could probably cherry pick various facts to argue either side of this thing and make a compelling case because like beauty, being a mid-major is often in the eye of the beholder. For me I think of a mid-major as a league that has their title game on ESPN/ESPN2 during Championship week, typically with a double digit seed that can often be the obsession of a talking head who hypes them up as a legit upset candidate in the early rounds. Also by definition if you're a member of what was the BCS leagues in football, now the Power 5 + Big East (remains to be seen) you never fall into that category.

As an example, Gonzaga hasn't reached a Final Four but has proven to be a threat to get to and win games in the NCAAs over the last 10-15 years. They've gotten all sorts of non-conference games and at least most programs will listen if they call inquiring about a game.

My take on the Shockers is that they are an emerging power. You have to respect these last 3 seasons. The optimism for this season being very successful is warranted. WSU has the resources, fan/booster support that is at a high major level. Part of the struggle at the top is staying there obviously and to me continuing to be a threat on a national stage. It can be hard to get there and change that perception because any sort of decline, a missed NCAA, etc provides the fuel that they are "coming back down to earth" or just had a nice run, etc. "Major" programs typically get the benefit of the doubt to where they can have a bad year or two and it's just a blip, not a indicator of things to come. What makes you a power/elite is sustained success.

It's hard to be an elite, it's hard to get to whatever level WSU is at this point going into the season, regardless if you believe them to on the scale of an elite to a fluky mid-major. Conference affiliation is often the easy cop-out answer and respect from the blue bloods and major programs is often a slow process but I would venture that a number of programs who feel that way, rightfully so or not, aren't exactly chomping at the bit to go prove their dominance by scheduling WSU either.

A stronger MVC certainly does nothing to help the reputation for WSU.....hopefully this is the beginning of an emergence for The Valley back into the national discussion of a league worthy of multiple bids and not just the name of the league WSU plays in where it's hard to tell how good they were according to some last season.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sixth ace » October 16th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread ... the rings are extra nice. Well done who ever design them.

MVC Basketball retweeted
GoShockers ‏@GoShockers 6h6 hours ago

Men's and Women's @MVCsports ring ceremonies TONIGHT at Shocker Madness; Doors open @ 5pm #WATCHUS

http://splashurl.com/nymzm3y
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball