Is WSU a Mid Major?

No
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

Re: Wichita State Mid-Major?

Postby Snaggletooth » November 9th, 2014, 8:39 am

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:Yes, Wichita State is a mid-major, and will be until they change conferences. That's not a dig on Wichita, it's just the reality. The answer is the same for other highly successful mid-majors, and it's no different for schools like VCU and Gonzaga. They are mid-majors while Washington State and Virginia Tech, while remarkably less successful at hoops, are major programs. The end.

you forgot to add Creighton and all their conference mates. They are all mid-major until they join a new conference.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » November 9th, 2014, 8:46 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:you forgot to add Creighton and all their conference mates. They are all mid-major until they join a new conference.

Yeah Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, all plucky mid-majors :roll:

Speaking candidly, the Big East is caught in a little bit of a labeling purgatory given the changing landscape in D1. The difference is, no one started a thread about any of those schools asking an obvious and undisputed question for the sole purpose of compliment-fishing.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 9th, 2014, 8:52 am

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:you forgot to add Creighton and all their conference mates. They are all mid-major until they join a new conference.

Speaking candidly, the Big East is caught in a little bit of a labeling purgatory given the changing landscape in D1. The difference is, no one started a thread about any of those schools asking an obvious and undisputed question for the sole purpose of compliment-fishing.

Well said. The Big East is certainly a tweener in the major/mid-major labeling of basketball, but none of the original members are out seeking validation.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 9th, 2014, 8:57 am

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

you are the one who who brought in VCU and Gonzaga into the conversation.

Speaking candidly, the Big East is caught in a little bit of a labeling purgatory given the changing landscape in D1.

You think? They single-handily defined themselves as mid-major conference.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 9th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:Yes, Wichita State is a mid-major, and will be until they change conferences. That's not a dig on Wichita, it's just the reality.

This is not a dig either but Bluejay fans need a little reality. Where did you go? I can't find you in any of the Top 70 rankings this year. Right now, we would have to schedule you only for a Buy in home game.

What happened to the "Fighting Sweater Vests"?
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:Yeah Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, all plucky mid-majors :roll:

I guess I'll just chalk it up to you being a Creighton fan that you do not see the hypocrisy in this statement.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » November 9th, 2014, 3:08 pm

mvcfan wrote:This is not a dig either but Bluejay fans need a little reality. Where did you go? I can't find you in any of the Top 70 rankings this year. Right now, we would have to schedule you only for a Buy in home game.

Yes, there are several major programs not in the Top 70. What is your point? This is a thread about whether Wichita State is a mid-major, not a Creighton season preview. But don't let that stop you from throwing stones before any games have tipped off.

Cdizzle wrote:I guess I'll just chalk it up to you being a Creighton fan that you do not see the hypocrisy in this statement.

Okay? You can cherry-pick any team out of any conference to make whatever point you want about a program's "major" classification having no connection to its conference affiliation. We live in a world in which Oregon State, DePaul, Wake Forest, and TCU are "major" basketball programs while Gonzaga, VCU, and Wichita State are mid-majors. I didn't say you had to like it, that's just how it is. No argument from me that Wichita has the support and success exceeding many programs that are affiliated with "major" conferences. My opinion is that conference affiliation is the only indicator of whether a program is "major" or not.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I guess I'll just chalk it up to you being a Creighton fan that you do not see the hypocrisy in this statement.

Okay? You can cherry-pick any team out of any conference to make whatever point you want about a program's "major" classification having no connection to its conference affiliation. We live in a world in which Oregon State, DePaul, Wake Forest, and TCU are "major" basketball programs while Gonzaga, VCU, and Wichita State are mid-majors. I didn't say you had to like it, that's just how it is. No argument from me that Wichita has the support and success exceeding many programs that are affiliated with "major" conferences. My opinion is that conference affiliation is the only indicator of whether a program is "major" or not.

That's fine. Your hypocrisy is pairing that belief with the belief that Georgetown, Marquette and Villanova and apparently DePaul (LOL) are major programs.

But that's fine. It fits very well with the Creighton narrative that national relevance is due to association, not program-specific accomplishments (people can make up their own minds WHY a fanbase would feel like this...). Every argument I read reminds me of 3rd graders: "Oh yeah, well my big brother could beat you up." It's so consistent it's comical.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » November 9th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Yes, conference affiliation is so important that college athletic programs have spent obscene amounts of money, destroyed century-long rivalries, and fashioned geographically nonsensical conferences in order to establish their affiliation. Again, I don't like it, but that's the way it is.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 9th, 2014, 6:10 pm

mvcfan wrote:
Bluejay09Bear06 wrote:Yes, Wichita State is a mid-major, and will be until they change conferences. That's not a dig on Wichita, it's just the reality.

This is not a dig either but Bluejay fans need a little reality. Where did you go? I can't find you in any of the Top 70 rankings this year. Right now, we would have to schedule you only for a Buy in home game.

What happened to the "Fighting Sweater Vests"?

:D
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball