Who will be named 2014-15 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named 2014-15 MVC Newcomer of the Year?

Poll ended at October 20th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Ore Arogundade - Drake
4%
Josh Cunningham - Bradley
23%
Teddy Hawkins - Illinois State
29%
Alex Etherington - Indiana State
2%
Rashard Kelly- Wichita State
17%
Chris Kendrix - Missouri State
10%
Wyatt Lohaus - UNI
4%
Mikyle McIntosh - Illinois State
8%
Reed Timmer - Drake
2%

Total votes : 48

Re: Who will be named 2014-15 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby Wufan » January 18th, 2015, 6:38 pm

bleach wrote:Chris Kendricks is going to substantillly more time and importance of role with Marcus leaving.

That crossed my mind.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jturner38 » January 19th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Wufan wrote:Updated through 01-03 with ranking (Shaq Morris removed): Hawkins drops out of the top 5 due to injury and McIntosh makes his debut.

1. Jordan Caroline - Southern Illinois - 23 mpg, 9 ppg, 7 rpg

2. Josh Cunningham - Bradley - 27 mpg, 6 ppg, 7 rpg

3. Brenton Scott - Indiana State - 28 mpg, 11 ppg, 4 rpg

4. Mikyle McIntosh - Illinois State - 20 mpg, 7 ppg, 5 rpg

5. Reed Timmer - Drake - 30 mpg, 11 ppg, 3 apg

Teddy Hawkins - Illinois State - 21 mpg, 7 ppg, 5 rpg

Wyatt Lohaus - UNI - 15 mpg, 5 ppg, 1 rpg

CJ Rivers - Drake - 23 mpg, 4 ppg, 4 rpg

Donte Ingram - Loyola - 20 mpg, 6 ppg, 4 rpg

Chris Kendrix - Missouri State - 17 mpg, 4 ppg, 3 rpg

Rashard Kelly- Wichita State - 18 mpg, 4 ppg, 4 rpg

Ore Arogundade - Drake - 14 mpg, 4 ppg, 2 rpg

Wufan,
Are these in order of how you think the race for for freshman of the year is right now? If not, who do you have as your top 3. I know Scott is one possibly the leading candiadate after his performance at Drake. Not sure on others.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rambler63 » January 19th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Caroline also has a surprisingly great beard for a freshman. I couldn't get one going that full until I was 25.

But seriously, Caroline and McIntosh have been most impressive to me. Extra points for their upside, consistency, and how their numbers relate to their respective team philosophy.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » January 19th, 2015, 7:16 pm

jturner38 wrote:
Wufan wrote:Updated through 01-03 with ranking (Shaq Morris removed): Hawkins drops out of the top 5 due to injury and McIntosh makes his debut.

1. Jordan Caroline - Southern Illinois - 23 mpg, 9 ppg, 7 rpg

2. Josh Cunningham - Bradley - 27 mpg, 6 ppg, 7 rpg

3. Brenton Scott - Indiana State - 28 mpg, 11 ppg, 4 rpg

4. Mikyle McIntosh - Illinois State - 20 mpg, 7 ppg, 5 rpg

5. Reed Timmer - Drake - 30 mpg, 11 ppg, 3 apg

Teddy Hawkins - Illinois State - 21 mpg, 7 ppg, 5 rpg

Wyatt Lohaus - UNI - 15 mpg, 5 ppg, 1 rpg

CJ Rivers - Drake - 23 mpg, 4 ppg, 4 rpg

Donte Ingram - Loyola - 20 mpg, 6 ppg, 4 rpg

Chris Kendrix - Missouri State - 17 mpg, 4 ppg, 3 rpg

Rashard Kelly- Wichita State - 18 mpg, 4 ppg, 4 rpg

Ore Arogundade - Drake - 14 mpg, 4 ppg, 2 rpg

Wufan,
Are these in order of how you think the race for for freshman of the year is right now? If not, who do you have as your top 3. I know Scott is one possibly the leading candiadate after his performance at Drake. Not sure on others.

Those were my personal rankings as of Jan 3. I'd put Caroline at the top since he has very good stats in limited minutes when compared to Scott. If you value points and minutes played then Scott and Timmer go to the top of the list.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » February 1st, 2015, 12:48 pm

So after ten games Scott is the clear front runner for this thing. Hasn't had a poor game in quite some time and takes and makes some big shots. Cunningham and Caroline 2-3 at this point. Crazy a kid that wasn't even on that huge list is most likely to win.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 1st, 2015, 2:36 pm

jackwagon wrote:So after ten games Scott is the clear front runner for this thing. Hasn't had a poor game in quite some time and takes and makes some big shots. Cunningham and Caroline 2-3 at this point. Crazy a kid that wasn't even on that huge list is most likely to win.

You are forgetting Reed Timmer.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 1st, 2015, 4:22 pm

Scott and Timmer are the 2 that have impressed me most and receive enough playing time to be considered. Caroline is close behind.

Honestly though I don't think they are the best freshmen, just the ones who play enough to put up the best stats. I'm so happy we have Wyatt Lohaus in Cedar Falls. When he is no longer getting #3 PG mins I think he'll stand above Scott, Timmer and company. I also think Shaq Morris is far and away the best freshman front court player. As he matures and gets comfortable with the game he'll be the best post in the league. He may even take that role next year over Mock.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 1st, 2015, 6:44 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Scott and Timmer are the 2 that have impressed me most and receive enough playing time to be considered. Caroline is close behind.

Honestly though I don't think they are the best freshmen, just the ones who play enough to put up the best stats. I'm so happy we have Wyatt Lohaus in Cedar Falls. When he is no longer getting #3 PG mins I think he'll stand above Scott, Timmer and company. I also think Shaq Morris is far and away the best freshman front court player. As he matures and gets comfortable with the game he'll be the best post in the league. He may even take that role next year over Mock.

Totally agree with this.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » February 2nd, 2015, 2:42 pm

Josh Cunningham is a lone bright spot for Bradley.
The highly-touted Chicago recruit is putting up the best numbers.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jturner38 » February 2nd, 2015, 5:42 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Scott and Timmer are the 2 that have impressed me most and receive enough playing time to be considered. Caroline is close behind.

I can see why you think that but at the same time you truly dont know what Wyatt or Shaq would do if they had the same amount of minutes or any other freshman at that. Whose minutes would Wyatt or Shaq get if they were playing that much? I think your statement would be better suited as which freshman has the higher ceiling. But your are right Scott and Timmer I think top 2 for this award right now. Scott looks to be leading candidate with averaging more and Sycamores in 3rd place (for now :-| ) which his production has played a part of. Also just a side not Brenton I think was overshadowed by his twin brother in HS a bit, who plays at purdue for anybody that doesnt know, so I think even us Sycamore fans didn't think he would produce as much as he has. He's been our best shooter and even are best scorer at times. Whats really ironic is Sycamores were in this same position back in 2011. Bad non-con, enter freshman JO, beat top team in league which I think was Missouri state that year, ends up finishing third in league, then won in St Louis. I wouldnt mind for that to happen again. Still lots of games to be played.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball