Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Re: News Not Good Out of Carbondale

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BTbird » October 14th, 2014, 7:32 am

I think it would be inappropriate for anyone from the university to comment on details about whatever it is he did or didn't do. If there has been some sort of wrong doing, I'm sure we will hear more through a media outlet.

I'm curious on this one though because the university usually says player is suspended due to breaking team rules.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » October 14th, 2014, 9:23 am

BTbird wrote:I think it would be inappropriate for anyone from the university to comment on details about whatever it is he did or didn't do. If there has been some sort of wrong doing, I'm sure we will hear more through a media outlet.

I'm curious on this one though because the university usually says player is suspended due to breaking team rules.

Well it obvious there has been some wrong doing - a university doesn't kick you out of school and say u can't apply to come back for two years. Now the question becomes what is the level of wrong doing. Evidently it ranges from cheating to being a serial killer - but since no polic charges have been filed I would assume he not a serial killer.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dean_siu » October 14th, 2014, 10:53 am

BTbird wrote:I think it would be inappropriate for anyone from the university to comment on details about whatever it is he did or didn't do. If there has been some sort of wrong doing, I'm sure we will hear more through a media outlet.

Not only is the program not saying he's suspended due to breaking team rules at this time, they let him remain a member of the program and made no statement at all til the university expelled him for two years.

You can use the old "innocent until proven guilty" defense, but I cited a couple of examples earlier where the SIU basketball program took disciplinary action before any legal proceedings were held. Furthermore, it happens on all levels (i.e. Adrian Peterson not playing in the NFL while his trial is pending).

The lack of transparency on this situation leads me to believe the program was trying to get the university to sweep this under the rug and make it disappear.

I don't think this should be done by any institution with any allegations and I'm glad the university did not do so (especially if the rumors I've heard of what he did are true).

This is going to be a huge black eye for the program and may become much bigger if my beliefs are proven to be true.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » October 14th, 2014, 10:56 am

I have a feeling dean SIU would LoVE for this to be a black eye on the institution.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 14th, 2014, 11:44 am

Wufan wrote:I have a feeling dean SIU would LoVE for this to be a black eye on the institution.

Agreed. I don't understanding the wrong-doing in letting the issue play out before passing judgment. It's not like they are trying to squeeze every last game out of the process by not suspending him.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dean_siu » October 14th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Wufan wrote:I have a feeling dean SIU would LoVE for this to be a black eye on the institution.

I don't want any black eyes on my alma mater. What this former student did has already created one.

The lack of action by the athletic department has amplified this in my book and I want those responsible to pay a price as well as the student athlete.

When action has been taken immediately in much less severe situations, this matter was allowed to stay dormant until action was required and I want answers why this was done.

Much as the Vikings tried to bury the Adrian Peterson and only took action when fans of the team and the league demanded action, I find it unacceptable that Barry and Mario did nothing until the university expelled him from campus.

Even know, they only state "he's not practicing with the team as he deals with a personal matter". Show some seriousness instead of a flippant attitude.

Maybe some of you are underestimating what he did. I've heard two different stories and if either of them have an ounce of truth to them, maybe you will understand the seriousness of the matter and my perspective once the truth is released.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » October 14th, 2014, 1:46 pm

The fact that you've heard two different stories, readily admit you have no idea if there is an ounce of truth to either of them, yet want the coach or athletic department to take action beyond a suspension before the university releases its findings, is kindof the point.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BTbird » October 14th, 2014, 3:22 pm

dean_siu wrote:

Not only is the program not saying he's suspended due to breaking team rules at this time, they let him remain a member of the program and made no statement at all til the university expelled him for two years.

You can use the old "innocent until proven guilty" defense, but I cited a couple of examples earlier where the SIU basketball program took disciplinary action before any legal proceedings were held. Furthermore, it happens on all levels (i.e. Adrian Peterson not playing in the NFL while his trial is pending).

The lack of transparency on this situation leads me to believe the program was trying to get the university to sweep this under the rug and make it disappear.

I don't think this should be done by any institution with any allegations and I'm glad the university did not do so (especially if the rumors I've heard of what he did are true).

This is going to be a huge black eye for the program and may become much bigger if my beliefs are proven to be true.

I could care less about what SIU does here but every school has a protocol that they follow and I'm sure that is what they are doing. Reserve judgment until facts come out or at least post under the name of the school you really support.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dean_siu » October 14th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Cdizzle wrote:The fact that you've heard two different stories, readily admit you have no idea if there is an ounce of truth to either of them, yet want the coach or athletic department to take action beyond a suspension before the university releases its findings, is kindof the point.

The university has already ruled and its now in the appeal stage. That's why he's not on campus. This incident didn't just happen yesterday. It happened a while back and the basketball program has just decided to pretend like it didn't happen. The only reason they've finally initiated a suspension was because he couldn't step foot on campus to practice.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball