News Not Good Out of Carbondale

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby dean_siu » October 13th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Details are vague, but it sounds like something serious is being covered up.

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local/smi ... touch=true

If a coverup is in the works, Barry (and AD Super Mario) need to quit playing games and just send the kid packing.

Let's just hope its an isolated incidence and Barry hasn't lost control of this team.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: News Not Good Out of Carbondale

Postby Wufan » October 13th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Pretty vague. The link is busted.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » October 13th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » October 13th, 2014, 6:06 pm

I don't know anything about what's going on but judging from the saluki fan board, said he violated university code of conduct, my assumption is maybe some sort of academic dishonesty like what happened with Notre Dame football players. Hopefully nothing serious seemed like a good kid
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 13th, 2014, 6:06 pm

What's the rumor mill saying?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » October 13th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Wufan wrote:What's the rumor mill saying?

That it is not anything academic. That would be a dream scenario compared to reality.

To address the troll. He has been kicked off of campus. How exactly is that a cover up?
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Valleyball » October 13th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I didn't like him in High School and didn't think it was worth it for his level of talent. Overall I am impressed with the program and Barry. (I actually went to SIU even though I am a Bradley fan)

But I don't care for Smithpeters, I think he is a punk. Glad to see him go. Assuming it was something bad.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dean_siu » October 13th, 2014, 7:07 pm

saluki762 wrote:He has been kicked off of campus. How exactly is that a cover up?

He has been kicked off campus by the university for violating the student code of conduct.

In the article quoted, here was Barry's comment on the matter.....

"Tyler Smithpeters is not practicing with the team as he deals with a 'personal matter,"

And here was Mario's.....

"he is not with us because of a personal issue."

The athletic department and the coach has not been very open regarding this matter at all. If the university hadn't of banned him from campus, I have no doubt he would still be a part of the team.

I'm not sure of the incident that facilitated this action, but I've heard two rumors. If either of them are true, he could be facing some serious legal ramifications in addition to university action. Also, if either of these stories have even an ounce of truth to them, the player should be kicked off the team immediately.

By calling it a "personal issue" and trivializing the matter, it does no one any good. If the rumors I've heard aren't true, its time to squash them. If they are true, its time to show that these type of actions will not be tolerated.

I guess I expect more from the athletic leaders at SIU....but after last season's circus, I should have known it was only the beginning.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » October 13th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Are you CLo's son or nephew?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » October 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm

dean_siu wrote:The athletic department and the coach has not been very open regarding this matter at all. If the university hadn't of banned him from campus, I have no doubt he would still be a part of the team.

I'm not sure of the incident that facilitated this action, but I've heard two rumors. If either of them are true, he could be facing some serious legal ramifications in addition to university action. Also, if either of these stories have even an ounce of truth to them, the player should be kicked off the team immediately.

By calling it a "personal issue" and trivializing the matter, it does no one any good. If the rumors I've heard aren't true, its time to squash them. If they are true, its time to show that these type of actions will not be tolerated.

I guess I expect more from the athletic leaders at SIU....but after last season's circus, I should have known it was only the beginning.

If the rumors are true, I am sure Mario and Barry have been instructed to keep quiet by the legal department at SIU. Once the appeals process has played out, if it is still referred to as a "personal matter" you might have a point. Talking about this openly right now is not prudent. If true, it will be open season and all the info will be available. If false, no sense in ruining a young mans life. The rumor mill will be damaging enough to him anyway.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball