Who will be the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Poll ended at October 22nd, 2014, 8:20 am

Ron Baker - Wichita State
28%
Anthony Beane - SIU
9%
DJ Balentine - Evansville
15%
Tekele Cotton - Wichita State
4%
Milton Doyle - Loyola
No votes
Marcus Marshall - Missouri State
11%
Seth Tuttle - UNI
4%
Fred VanVleet - Wichita State
23%
Other
6%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will be the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Postby PantherSigEp » February 21st, 2015, 3:12 pm

Given the lack of post depth and quality in the league compared to guards, I'd expect to see a total of 5-6 guards compared to ~4 F/C's.

Also I'd take Wes Washpun over Sutherland. We'll get to see them head-to-head today so maybe that changes my mind, but look at the minutes played. Sutherland plays 35/gm, Washpun 23. Sutherland averages 12 pts/gm on 36% shooting. Washpun goes 8.5 pts/gm on 49%. Wes is a significantly better defender and much better on the perimeter (offense or defense, doesn't matter). Plus just look at the records. That's a no contest for me. I'm not buying the pretty stats when the other player is much more efficient and is winning for the #11 team in the nation.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 21st, 2015, 4:32 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Given the lack of post depth and quality in the league compared to guards, I'd expect to see a total of 5-6 guards compared to ~4 F/C's.

I didn't build my team to compete against the Valley. Also, I had 6 guards and 4 posts, so, not sure what you're saying here.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2015, 4:50 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I only know one thing. If UNI wins the league there will be more than 1 player on 1st or 2nd team. Even if they finish 2nd by losing in Wichita next weekend there will still be more than 1 player on 1st or 2nd team. It is just going to happen. Whether you feel they deserve it because of stats or not it is just the way it will work.

Right. I don't think anyone is disagreeing. Will one of you UNI fans quit playing victim and provide some insight into who you think would be most deserving, other than Tuttle, which is obvious.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 21st, 2015, 4:59 pm

Wufan wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:Given the lack of post depth and quality in the league compared to guards, I'd expect to see a total of 5-6 guards compared to ~4 F/C's.

I didn't build my team to compete against the Valley. Also, I had 6 guards and 4 posts, so, not sure what you're saying here.

The post I quoted was composed of a Center, power forward, small forward, shooting guard and point guard. That's what confused me. Didn't even notice you had slipped guards in there.

Btw, Sutherland is getting props for controlling the tempo during the game today and was named Bradley's POG. Wes was UNI's. Washpun was fairly weak by his standards in the 1st half but his defense and intensity in the 2nd half is what turned a close, competitive game into a blowout in the 2nd half. I think Wes beats Sutherland for a spot on the All-MVC team. He absolutely should unless people looks at Deon Mitchell's MVC numbers and notice he's shooting 60% in conference play from 3, has been invaluable as a ball-handler and offensive coordinator and has been pick pocketing people like no other over this recent stretch.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 21st, 2015, 5:06 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Wufan wrote:

The post I quoted was composed of a Center, power forward, small forward, shooting guard and point guard. That's what confused me. Didn't even notice you had slipped guards in there.

Btw, Sutherland is getting props for controlling the tempo during the game today and was named Bradley's POG. Wes was UNI's. Washpun was fairly weak by his standards in the 1st half but his defense and intensity in the 2nd half is what turned a close, competitive game into a blowout in the 2nd half. I think Wes beats Sutherland for a spot on the All-MVC team. He absolutely should unless people looks at Deon Mitchell's MVC numbers and notice he's shooting 60% in conference play from 3, has been invaluable as a ball-handler and offensive coordinator and has been pick pocketing people like no other over this recent stretch.

Oh, I wouldn't put Sutherland on my All-MVC team, but I would make him the back-up PG if I was drafting a team of MVC players to play in this years NCAA tourney. That was the intent of the post with Sutherland listed behind FVV.

Also, you didn't actually quote anything, but since you mentioned Sutherland, I assumed you were referring to my post.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 21st, 2015, 5:16 pm

Wufan wrote:Oh, I wouldn't put Sutherland on my All-MVC team, but I would make him the back-up PG if I was drafting a team of MVC players to play in this years NCAA tourney. That was the intent of the post with Sutherland listed behind FVV.

Also, you didn't actually quote anything, but since you mentioned Sutherland, I assumed you were referring to my post.

I suppose I didn't. Still, to answer any of the questions about who follows Tuttle to one of the two All-MVC teams, I say it's Wes Washpun. I'll argue him as the 2nd best PG in the MVC right now given his effectiveness and his contributions to an NCAA bound team.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 21st, 2015, 5:22 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
Wufan wrote:Oh, I wouldn't put Sutherland on my All-MVC team, but I would make him the back-up PG if I was drafting a team of MVC players to play in this years NCAA tourney. That was the intent of the post with Sutherland listed behind FVV.

I suppose I didn't. Still, to answer any of the questions about who follows Tuttle to one of the two All-MVC teams, I say it's Wes Washpun. I'll argue him as the 2nd best PG in the MVC right now given his effectiveness and his contributions to an NCAA bound team.

Cool. Do you think he should be on the 1st team or 2nd team?

UNI may be hurt by their depth a little bit (reminds me of the 2012 WSU team). I think both UNI and WSU deserve 3-4 players EACH on the 2 teams. The gap between those 2 teams and the other 8 is massive, and the talent of the players is the reason.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 21st, 2015, 5:28 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

Cool. Do you think he should be on the 1st team or 2nd team?

UNI may be hurt by their depth a little bit (reminds me of the 2012 WSU team). I think both UNI and WSU deserve 3-4 players EACH on the 2 teams. The gap between those 2 teams and the other 8 is massive, and the talent of the players is the reason.

2nd. I don't think he could unseat FVV as the top PG in the league. If it were a case where the Panthers were going to finish a couple games ahead of the Shocks then we could talk, but it's just not going to happen when they will likely be within a game of each other. Considering the gap between UNI and the rest of the league though Washpun absolutely deserves to be on the 2nd team. No question about it. Especially when anyone with eye balls has seen him split mins with 2 other very effective PG's in Mitchell and Lohaus.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » February 21st, 2015, 5:36 pm

The 1st team this year should probably be the same as last year but you add in Mock and probably demote DJ Ballentine to 2nd team. I really don't think you can keep DJ on 1st team for his stats when Cotton still puts up strong (and similar) numbers (with the exception of points). I could go either way on this one but WSU deserves 3 on the 1st team before Evansville gets 2 (and therefore Wichita gets 2).
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 21st, 2015, 5:48 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:

Fair enough, and I think UNI deserves someone as well. That said, this is where I struggled: who do you remove from the first/second team to put Washpun on the list? He's arguably the second best PG in the Valley, yet he doesn't start for his own team. His stats are good, but they would be some of the worst stats ever on a first/second All-MVC team. Here was my teams:

Tuttle (statistically dominating on a dominate first place team, 16, 7, and 3)
Baker (basically see Tuttle, 16, 4 and 2)
VanVleet (best PG in the league, reigning POY, might play on best team in the league, 12, 4, and 5)
Mockevicius (most dominate big in the Valley and averaging 12, 10 and 2 blocks)
Balentine (had to go with the leading scorer by a wide margin here, 19, 3 and 3)

Beane (best player on a bad team, averaging 16, 3, and 1)
Knight (best player on a mediocre team, averaging 14, 3, and 3)
Brown (best player on a mediocre team, averaging 13, 4 and 3)

Now I'm going to take a little break from my top 10 after my first 8. Does Washpun (best back up PG in the league, playing for best team, averaging 8, 3, and 3) deserve a spot over one of the top 8? How about Mitchell who starts in front of Washpun (7, 2, and 2)? Bohannon is not in the top 50 in scoring. Morgan is a great defender and averages 6, 3 and 1. Cotton had better stats on a top 20 team as a sophomore and didn't even make third team.

Two spots left in the top 10 for Washpun, who doesn't start and averages 8, 3, and 3; but he plays for a dominant team and does things that don't show up in the stat sheet. So, maybe he takes one of those? Maybe one of them goes to Carter (12, 5 and 1) and Cotton (10, 4 and 3) who start, play for a dominant team, and do things that don't show up in the stat sheet.

Yes UNI deserves to have two in the top 10. I didn't put a second one in the top 10 because I couldn't justify Washpun and no one else is close. So Washpun is in your top 10. No arguments. Who you bumping out?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball