Who will be the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Poll ended at October 22nd, 2014, 8:20 am

Ron Baker - Wichita State
28%
Anthony Beane - SIU
9%
DJ Balentine - Evansville
15%
Tekele Cotton - Wichita State
4%
Milton Doyle - Loyola
No votes
Marcus Marshall - Missouri State
11%
Seth Tuttle - UNI
4%
Fred VanVleet - Wichita State
23%
Other
6%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who will be the 2014-15 MVC Player of the Year?

Postby bleach » December 1st, 2014, 11:54 am

I'm not suggesting it should be Marshal but it is very obvious who is most important to their team. If that were the criteria (not what I use) it's a no brainer. The best player might even go to him but winning is worth a whole lot and Marcus needs to figure out how to make his team better (not sure Lusk will).
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » December 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm

Darius Carter will never be in this discussion for several reasons, many of them good ones, but this seems like as good a place as any to point out that he is averaging 12.5ppg in 16.5mpg.

Marshall's start to the season has been unbelievable. Unfortunately I'm not really sure how good they are WITH him, and I've got a pretty good feel for how bad they are WITHOUT him.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 1st, 2014, 12:40 pm

Wufan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:If Baker stays healthy, he wins going away.

4 or even 7 games isn't a large enough sample size. That said, it's Ron's to lose.

I'm basing that statement on his entire career at WSU, not the first four games. He's the primary scoring option now and THE NBA prospect for the Valley. There's no other Valley player who would be drafted after this year.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 1st, 2014, 12:43 pm

valleychamp wrote:I dont know how someone can watch WSU and have the opinion that Baker is a more valuable player than FVV, let alone a better player. I just dont see it.

WSU would be in big trouble if VanVleet went down to injury, IMO. If they lost Baker, I think they would just keep trucking along.

Both players are equally important -- probably equal with Cotton as well. If VanVleet went down to injury, I think Baker would become the best point guard in the Valley. He's averaging a 5.6:1 assist:turnover ratio at the moment, which is (I believe) best in the Valley, and one of the best in the country.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » December 1st, 2014, 3:18 pm

bleach wrote:I'm not suggesting it should be Marshal but it is very obvious who is most important to their team. If that were the criteria (not what I use) it's a no brainer. The best player might even go to him but winning is worth a whole lot and Marcus needs to figure out how to make his team better (not sure Lusk will).

Marshall is a very good 1 on 1 player/shooter but I don't think he would score near as many points in WSU's system.

It may be Lusk offense or MM - but IMHO, there is very little "team" basketball played when he is on the floor.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » December 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Only one player on this list is undefeated against all the other players on this list. Until that changes, I don't see too much point in even discussing it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 1st, 2014, 6:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Only one player on this list is undefeated against all the other players on this list. Until that changes, I don't see too much point in even discussing it.

Two actually. Baker and VanVleet are both undefeated against current competition.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 2nd, 2014, 9:26 am

Wufan wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Only one player on this list is undefeated against all the other players on this list. Until that changes, I don't see too much point in even discussing it.

Two actually. Baker and VanVleet are both undefeated against current competition.

This is not true. VanVleet has 3 losses against players on this list.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 2nd, 2014, 1:52 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Wufan wrote:

This is not true. VanVleet has 3 losses against players on this list.

Thanks for correcting me!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 2nd, 2014, 2:50 pm

moshock wrote:
bleach wrote:I'm not suggesting it should be Marshal but it is very obvious who is most important to their team. If that were the criteria (not what I use) it's a no brainer. The best player might even go to him but winning is worth a whole lot and Marcus needs to figure out how to make his team better (not sure Lusk will).

Marshall is a very good 1 on 1 player/shooter but I don't think he would score near as many points in WSU's system.

It may be Lusk offense or MM - but IMHO, there is very little "team" basketball played when he is on the floor.

Of course Marshall wouldn't score nearly as many points in the Shox system! The Shox are an elite team and the Bears suck (so far this year).

To say Marshall doesn't play team basketball is unfair right now. He's scoring so much out of necessity. Last year before he went down Marshall led a pretty balanced Bears attack.

I'd definitely put Baker and VanVleet ahead of Marshall. But make no mistake about it Marshall is a very good player. He looks all but unstoppable at times on the offensive end and he's also our best perimeter defender. He's improved quite a bit from his freshman year and that's saying something.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball