Closed door scrimmages and exhibitions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Closed door scrimmages and exhibitions

Postby Cdizzle » October 31st, 2014, 9:28 am

PantherSigEp wrote:It should be noted that Nate Buss didn't play tonight either. Still trying to shake off what I've heard some refer to as a "turf-toe" like injury. He should be fine by the opener in 2 weeks according to reports. I sure hope so, really need that versatility and size.

Hope it isn't actually turf-toe. Once you get going during the season, it's basically impossible for that to get fully healed up. It bothered WSU's Coleby from December on last year. I hope that isn't the case for Buss, he should be a big part of what UNI is doing this year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » October 31st, 2014, 10:26 am

Cdizzle wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:It should be noted that Nate Buss didn't play tonight either. Still trying to shake off what I've heard some refer to as a "turf-toe" like injury. He should be fine by the opener in 2 weeks according to reports. I sure hope so, really need that versatility and size.

Hope it isn't actually turf-toe. Once you get going during the season, it's basically impossible for that to get fully healed up. It bothered WSU's Coleby from December on last year. I hope that isn't the case for Buss, he should be a big part of what UNI is doing this year.

Hard to know for sure as Jake has gotten a little more guarded with info. As we have seen with Buss though, injuries are a part of his make-up. Hopefully he will be back and at full speed.

It definitely appears we will have good depth and more pieces this year to work with. Lost Rank (undersized 4) and Morrison (3rd/4th string PG) but added Lohaus (looks to be the #2 PG behind Deon with Washpun being a swing between 1 and 2), Jesperson (rotated with Morgan at the 3 and also played some 4 against the smaller D-II), Koch (back-up to Tuttle, got to the line for 8 free throws-made 7, also had an assist and a steal, seems more like Adam than Jake right now), Carlson (will be the 5th post with Friedman redshirting), and Knar (sharpshooter but behind depth at the guards).
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » October 31st, 2014, 8:06 pm

Evansville opens this season tomorrow inviting the GLVC McKendree College to the Ford Center. Tip time is 1:05 pm. Starters other than DJ and Giddy is in the air. UE has a lone Senior, Jaylon Moore, 5 Juniors and 6 Sophomores.

Evansville will welcome 2 JUCO All Americans, Willie Wiley and Taylor Stafford. Soph.Mislav Brzoja , transfer from Villanova, has completed his red shirt year and should see early action on the floor for the Aces.

This will be a great season for the MVC and the Evansville Aces.

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 1st, 2014, 3:22 pm

sixth ace wrote:Evansville opens this season tomorrow inviting the GLVC McKendree College to the Ford Center. Tip time is 1:05 pm. Starters other than DJ and Giddy is in the air. UE has a lone Senior, Jaylon Moore, 5 Juniors and 6 Sophomores.

Evansville will welcome 2 JUCO All Americans, Willie Wiley and Taylor Stafford. Soph.Mislav Brzoja , transfer from Villanova, has completed his red shirt year and should see early action on the floor for the Aces.

This will be a great season for the MVC and the Evansville Aces.

:Cheers:

Wiley came off the bench for Evansville. Same starting five as last year. :(

Makes me wonder if Marty will improve his team or run off another PF.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby stl scooter » November 1st, 2014, 5:12 pm

All 12 UE players had 10 minutes or more. Wiley had missed some time with an injury had 4 pts & 3 rebs.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bball Junkie » November 1st, 2014, 7:42 pm

Main stat line for me: Mockevicius 16 points, 10 rebounds, 9 blocks, 2 assists, 1 steal in 20 minutes

In my opinion, the starting lineup by mid November should be:
Brown, Balentine, Brozja, Wiley, and Mockevicius

This lineup has speed in the PG, deep range and ability to score off the dribble at the SG, rebounding and good ball movement at the forward positions, and a potentially dominant center.
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » November 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Bball Junkie wrote:Main stat line for me: Mockevicius 16 points, 10 rebounds, 9 blocks, 2 assists, 1 steal in 20 minutes

This lineup has speed in the PG, deep range and ability to score off the dribble at the SG, rebounding and good ball movement at the forward positions, and a potentially dominant center.

That line-up is a team I can get behind as a 20+ game winner and a competitor in the MVC. If it takes Marty 15 games of mediocre basketball, I'm going to be pissed.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 1st, 2014, 10:00 pm

Wufan wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:Main stat line for me: Mockevicius 16 points, 10 rebounds, 9 blocks, 2 assists, 1 steal in 20 minutes

Brown, Balentine, Brozja, Wiley, and Mockevicius.....I may put Stafford in front of Brown. or Mislav & Simmons

That line-up is a team I can get behind as a 20+ game winner and a competitor in the MVC. If it takes Marty 15 games of mediocre basketball, I'm going to be pissed.

All 12 UE players had 10 minutes or more
This speaks of realist expectation. They put a practice out for the coaches to judge. They share the time among the players. They evaluated. They won by 28.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Tom Servo » November 1st, 2014, 11:36 pm

Wufan wrote:

You and me both, I'm hoping he figures it out by November 15th at the latest.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » November 2nd, 2014, 6:36 am

sixth ace wrote:
Wufan wrote:

Brown, Balentine, Brozja, Wiley, and Mockevicius.....I may put Stafford in front of Brown. or Mislav & Simmons

All 12 UE players had 10 minutes or more
This speaks of realist expectation. They put a practice out for the coaches to judge. They share the time among the players. They evaluated. They won by 28.

It always seems that the Aces are better/should be better than their record indicates. I felt that last year Simons and Wing playing together were weak. Simons was too slow and Wing was too short. Those two, while individually decent players, together, they were exposed as too easy to defend one on one and not effective on defensive rotations. Wiley or Brozja should be able to offset that. Hopefully they understand their assignments and get plenty of PT. Of course last years starters are a year older and should be a year better. Just hoping for the best for Evansville!

Also, not surprised that DJ and Giddy were the two best players. Reports from Shockerland are that VanVleet, Baker, Cotton, and Carter are head and shoulders better than the newcomers and Wessel is slightly ahead.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball