Closed door scrimmages and exhibitions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Closed door scrimmages and exhibitions

Postby rlh04d » November 11th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Man, both an extremely confident prediction for the future based off of an exhibition game AND a mocking "We should cancel the season" when that exhibition game is questioned within a page of each other. That's just impressive.

Exhibition game matters, exhibition game doesn't matter. Gotcha.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 11th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I'm not an advocate of IlSU canceling their season. I think they have the talent to beat any team in the Valley, including WSU, on a given day, and to compete in the upper echelon of the Valley this season.

Having said that, when your coach, and subsequently your fanbase make some bold claims going into a season, this is what happens. You will get scrutinized. If the coach and team and fanbase think they are close enough to talk the talk before they've walked the walk, I think that's fine. There are turning points in programs where that is justified and it's time to man up and go for it. Maybe that time is now for IlSU. But if you're going to talk the talk, then you'd better be walking every bit of the walk or people are going to tell you about it. That's what happens when mouths are opened. And that, beside the point of my disagreement with his sentiment, is why I'm not sure it was such a great idea for Muller to start talking. Only time will tell.

It's easy for one to say "It's fine, 9 point win, never in doubt, some things to work on, some good things."

But it's just as easy to say that the 9 point margin between IlSU and DII Lewis is 3 points LESS than the average margin between WSU and IlSU over the past 2 years.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » November 11th, 2014, 12:25 pm

BTbird wrote:This was a horrible win for the Redbirds. We should cancel the season.

Based on Muller's expectations, it might save some hearts in the long run.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » November 11th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm not an advocate of IlSU canceling their season. I think they have the talent to beat any team in the Valley, including WSU, on a given day, and to compete in the upper echelon of the Valley this season.

Having said that, when your coach, and subsequently your fanbase make some bold claims going into a season, this is what happens. You will get scrutinized. If the coach and team and fanbase think they are close enough to talk the talk before they've walked the walk, I think that's fine. There are turning points in programs where that is justified and it's time to man up and go for it. Maybe that time is now for IlSU. But if you're going to talk the talk, then you'd better be walking every bit of the walk or people are going to tell you about it. That's what happens when mouths are opened. And that, beside the point of my disagreement with his sentiment, is why I'm not sure it was such a great idea for Muller to start talking. Only time will tell.

It's easy for one to say "It's fine, 9 point win, never in doubt, some things to work on, some good things."

But it's just as easy to say that the 9 point margin between IlSU and DII Lewis is 3 points LESS than the average margin between WSU and IlSU over the past 2 years.

:+1:
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BTbird » November 11th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Sorry, Could not pass up the opportunity to stir up the hornets' nest. I'm hoping we end up being a top 50 team and I think WSU is easily a top 15 team(not sure there is a better starting backcourt in the country). I would guess that most and close to all ISU fans would agree with that at some level. I don't know what specifically you are referring to when you say bold claims of the fanbase. I certainly could have missed those posts.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » November 11th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Talent doesn't win games by itself. Normal U. has the talent to win games against good teams.

The things that the Shocker players know is that they need to bring it ( intensity, effort, focus, and the idea that all that they care about is winning, totally unselfish/total comradeship/friendship, giving it up on defense/offense every possession) every practice and game. FVV, Baker, and Cotton give it "all" every time they step on the court and it spreads to the other players.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » November 11th, 2014, 8:15 pm

mvcfan wrote:Talent doesn't win games by itself. Normal U. has the talent to win games against good teams.

The things that the Shocker players know is that they need to bring it ( intensity, effort, focus, and the idea that all that they care about is winning, totally unselfish/total comradeship/friendship, giving it up on defense/offense every possession) every practice and game. FVV, Baker, and Cotton (Carter too) give it "all" every time they step on the court and it spreads to the other players.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dean Wormer » November 12th, 2014, 10:12 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:UE is 2-0 in EXHIBITION games

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Let me clarify my point, I wasn't chest pounding over 2-0 in exhibition games. I was replying to the dimwit who had the wisdom to proclaim the Aces season "wasted" after all of 2 exhibition games. That is why is capitalized exhibition. The fact they haven't crapped the bed is indeed a good sign, but it is way too premature to gather anything else out of this...good or "wasted"
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » November 12th, 2014, 12:01 pm

mvcfan wrote:Talent doesn't win games by itself. Normal U. has the talent to win games against good teams.

The things that the Shocker players know is that they need to bring it ( intensity, effort, focus, and the idea that all that they care about is winning, totally unselfish/total comradeship/friendship, giving it up on defense/offense every possession) every practice and game. FVV, Baker, and Cotton give it "all" every time they step on the court and it spreads to the other players.

This brought back memories from the old board.

I remember commenting my envy that SIU had those same characteristics and the new players coming in would pick up those attitudes from the existing players. That was several years into the Lowery era.

Things don't always go in the direction they appear to be pointed.

I'm actually willing to admit that IlSU might be good this year. I thought the situation there was pointed downhill, but things don't always go in the direction they appear to be pointed.

OMG! I made a reasonable post on MVCFans, The end is near!!
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BTbird » November 12th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Aargh wrote:

This brought back memories from the old board.

I remember commenting my envy that SIU had those same characteristics and the new players coming in would pick up those attitudes from the existing players. That was several years into the Lowery era.

Things don't always go in the direction they appear to be pointed.

I'm actually willing to admit that IlSU might be good this year. I thought the situation there was pointed downhill, but things don't always go in the direction they appear to be pointed.

OMG! I made a reasonable post on MVCFans, The end is near!!

I think I like the unreasonable side of you better. I don't even know how to respond to this.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball