MVC Preseason selections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Preseason selections

Postby WSpringsBird » October 30th, 2014, 3:52 pm

BTbird wrote:
jturner38 wrote:4. ILL st has a lot of things to prove. All about player execution in games and if Coach Muller proves his voting for #1 wasnt a foolish attempt. He still not a proven Coach yet in my eyes. Anybody other than Redbird fans agree or disagree? Redbird fans youre welcome to counter my opinion. Not saying Muller cant coach never said that.

Nope, sounds about right.

I was very disappointed in the performance of the team in Muller's first year but thought he did a solid job last year. I am disappointed in the character (or lack thereof) of a couple of his recruits but also think that this year's team will be an improvement, both in terms of athleticism and (I hope) character. Given the mixes evidence thus far, the jury is out on Muller.
Last edited by WSpringsBird on October 30th, 2014, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » October 30th, 2014, 4:07 pm

BTbird wrote:
Aargh wrote:Illinois State has a great potential to be this year's rpi disaster for the league. With all the new players, IlSU is likely to stink up the court in non-con and start figuring it out about the time league play rolls around. Lots of potential talent at IlSU, but I've seen what Muller did with Jackie Carmichael, and he had proven, not potential, talent.

ISU returns 4 of 5 starters and have a couple of subs returning as well.

Can you fill us in on what Muller did with Jackie Carmichael? He was a first team MVC player the year Muller coached him.

IlSU, 2012-13 - pre-season #3 pick in the league. A team with Tyler Brown, Jackie Carmichael, Bryant Allen, Johnny Hill, John Wilkins and John Ekey. Finished 6th with a losing record in conference play. Only 2 wins above last-place SIU. Except for Wilkins, who was a dirty player, that was a pretty respectable groups. Carmichael had always played under control until he played for Muller. Then he karate-kicked Tekele Cotton, which cost IlSU the game. That's an underwhelming job of coaching.

In 2013-14, among all D1 BB teams, ILSU was 232nd in points per game, 201st in rebounds per game, 205th in assists per game, and 317th in FG %. You might want to think about those numbers before you make a big deal out of returning 4 of 5 starters.

IlSU lost their #2 scorer (Lofton) and best 3-pt. shooter (Zeisloft). IlSU's returning 3-pt. shooters with 100+ attempts (just under 3/game) are Knight (29%) and Lee (31%). Hunter (PG??) had an A/TO ratio of 1.6. Knight had more TO's and A's. Lee's was at 1.2 The 3 guards with any appreciable experience are 5'11", 6'0", and 6'1". They had a combined A/TO ratio of 1.2.

Hawkins hasn't played an organized game since HS, and he's 21. Might be a few games into the season before he knocks some rust off. Then there's the issue of his compatibility with the rest of the team. His background is a little centered on Hawkins.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 30th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Aargh wrote:
BTbird wrote:
Aargh wrote:Illinois State has a great potential to be this year's rpi disaster for the league. With all the new players, IlSU is likely to stink up the court in non-con and start figuring it out about the time league play rolls around. Lots of potential talent at IlSU, but I've seen what Muller did with Jackie Carmichael, and he had proven, not potential, talent.

Can you fill us in on what Muller did with Jackie Carmichael? He was a first team MVC player the year Muller coached him.

IlSU, 2012-13 - pre-season #3 pick in the league. A team with Tyler Brown, Jackie Carmichael, Bryant Allen, Johnny Hill, John Wilkins and John Ekey. Finished 6th with a losing record in conference play. Only 2 wins above last-place SIU. Except for Wilkins, who was a dirty player, that was a pretty respectable groups. Carmichael had always played under control until he played for Muller. Then he karate-kicked Tekele Cotton, which cost IlSU the game. That's an underwhelming job of coaching.

In 2013-14, among all D1 BB teams, ILSU was 232nd in points per game, 201st in rebounds per game, 205th in assists per game, and 317th in FG %. You might want to think about those numbers before you make a big deal out of returning 4 of 5 starters.

IlSU lost their #2 scorer (Lofton) and best 3-pt. shooter (Zeisloft). IlSU's returning 3-pt. shooters with 100+ attempts (just under 3/game) are Knight (29%) and Lee (31%). Hunter (PG??) had an A/TO ratio of 1.6. Knight had more TO's and A's. Lee's was at 1.2 The 3 guards with any appreciable experience are 5'11", 6'0", and 6'1". They had a combined A/TO ratio of 1.2.

Hawkins hasn't played an organized game since HS, and he's 21. Might be a few games into the season before he knocks some rust off. Then there's the issue of his compatibility with the rest of the team. His background is a little centered on Hawkins.

doesn't matter.

Top 10 team
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 30th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Aargh wrote:
BTbird wrote:

IlSU, 2012-13 - pre-season #3 pick in the league.

They were actually picked 2nd, receiving a couple of first place votes, ahead of a stacked Creighton team. I guess now we know who was picking them to win it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isuredbirds92 » October 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm

The birds have A LOT of question marks this season. There's no doubt about it. I have been a Muller supporter from the start, and haven't lost confidence in him yet. This team probably has the highest ceiling of any ISUr team in recent memory (besides maybe the 2012-13 squad). I really think Muller has done a great job of recruiting players that will work in his system (long, athletic, versatile), and if even half of these JUCOs and freshmen live up to their hype, this team can do some damage. I'm not necessarily convinced that they will be top 2 or 3 in the league, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them right up there by the end of Valley play.
isuredbirds92
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » October 31st, 2014, 8:12 pm

jwa123 wrote:I am sure 100% that Muller knew this and he still made his prediction.
How could you be 100% sure?

There is a good amount of optimism at ISUr for this season with the talent.
Well they should win a lot of non-conference games with the putrid schedule they have - unfortunately looks like the best they can hope for is maybe a NIT bid.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » October 31st, 2014, 10:05 pm

I do sense the awesomeness of Muller. He definitely has an aura about him that is being transmitted by ISUR fans.

http://vimeo.com/88472176
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 1st, 2014, 3:56 pm

Skip to the third part of the article (after Wessel and Hamilton) to see what beat writer Paul Sollentrop has to say about the Valley.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 13365.html

▪ NCAA cost-cutting measures caused most schools to stop issuing glossy media guides. Most hand out modest fact sheets, rosters, bios and statistics stapled together.

Southern Illinois deserves mention for its clever cover. Coach Barry Hinson is pictured, surrounded by his players, above the words “New team. New heights. Same short coach.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... rylink=cpy
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball