MVC Preseason selections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Preseason selections

Postby Wufan » October 29th, 2014, 5:56 pm

I think Muller's vote begs an interesting question.

Who (non-WSU) believes their team will WIN the regular season title? Not make a run at it, but is willing to put even money on line for an outright MVC title.

Who is willing to take the field (minus the team you root for) over WSU for a regular season title? Even money.

All takers speak up now and let us know your feelings.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mathewson10 » October 29th, 2014, 8:18 pm

mvcfan wrote:Just go out in the preaseason and win games against good teams so our conference has a chance to gain some respect from outside the league and doesn't just ride the coat tails of Wichita State. My main concern is that those who talk big can back it up with wins in the preconference season. Then when it is followed up with Wichita State wins, it can be a gain for our entire conference. Some teams pre-conference schedules don't' lead me to good conclusions in this area. Just stop talking until you do something to talk about.

Yeah I said the same thing in 97 & 98 but nobody really followed suit.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » October 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Wufan wrote:I think Muller's vote begs an interesting question.

Who (non-WSU) believes their team will WIN the regular season title? Not make a run at it, but is willing to put even money on line for an outright MVC title.

Who is willing to take the field (minus the team you root for) over WSU for a regular season title? Even money.

All takers speak up now and let us know your feelings.

I think UNI makes a serious run at it, but wouldn't put money on an outright title right now.

I wouldn't put money on ANYONE, other than UNI, to challenge WSU for the title.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » October 29th, 2014, 8:54 pm

What the hell, a healthy Bears team could pose a dangerous threat. The Illinois State (penitentiary) RedBird Rehabilitation program ends up exceeding everyone's wildest expectations and (literally) kicks their way to the top. And just because I don't actually plan on putting $$ on this, #Martyball becomes all the Twitter rage on college campus' as DJ and "the Edge" ball like its 1999 as the Evansville Moving Screens screen their way to the conference screen. Screen.

Okay now that I have that out of my system, I have to believe the MVC as a whole didn't get worse from last year to now. It's going to be one heck of a battle and at this point I just hope everyone starts out the year on an 11-13 game win streak. I really hope UNI has all the necessary pieces fall into place that vault them over this hump of mediocrity they seem stuck on and not only challenge WSU, squeeze into the rankings and return to the tourney, but actually make a meaningful run to end the careers of some very special stars. I think several teams are very capable of this same feat but it's a matter of taking care of business in the non-con and shedding the dead weights that sink to the bottom of the conference (no offense guys...)
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 29th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I agree that there are some challengers. Muller stepped up on record and said we are going to be a top 10 team nationally. Just curious who else has the balls to not say, there are some good teams in this league, but to step up and say theres a top 10 team in this league and it's NOT WSU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » October 29th, 2014, 10:07 pm

mathewson10 wrote:

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. In 1999, 3 Valley schools made the NCAA's and it pretty much became a multi-bid mainstay from then until 2007.

Interestingly, Illinois State fans and coaches that are displaying their peacock feathers the proudest, and yet they have the longest NCAA Tournament drought minus newcomer Loyola. :huh:
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » October 30th, 2014, 7:38 am

Championz wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. In 1999, 3 Valley schools made the NCAA's and it pretty much became a multi-bid mainstay from then until 2007.

Interestingly, Illinois State fans and coaches that are displaying their peacock feathers the proudest, and yet they have the longest NCAA Tournament drought minus newcomer Loyola. :huh:

Actually, I am not wrong. Well, I guess it depends on your view point of success. That's great that the conference was on the rise for a few years & if you are comfortable for settling for "No, we used to be good... a little." But I have higher expectations for the conference. I prefer that we have long term success that makes the conference a basketball mainstay. I want other conferences to fear our conference & 3+ teams making it to the tourney every year.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » October 30th, 2014, 7:40 am

It's going to be mighty tough for more than 3 Valley teams to have winning records in conference play.

I think the top end could end up looking like

1. WSU (16-2)
2. UNI (14-4)
3. MSU (10-8)

Pretty much everybody not named UNI or WSU is going to have 4 losses just from playing UNI and WSU twice. I didn't say everybody and I expect there will be some surprises, but not many. Past WSU and UNI, there is so much parity from 3 through 6 or 7, that cannibalism will be out in full force. Add 4 road losses to the 4 losses to WSU and UNI and there's 8 losses. You know that the bottom 3 or 4 wll find ways to win some surprise games against the middle of the pack.

And that's the road map to 9 losses for the middle of the pack..

Illinois State has a great potential to be this year's rpi disaster for the league. With all the new players, IlSU is likely to stink up the court in non-con and start figuring it out about the time league play rolls around. Lots of potential talent at IlSU, but I've seen what Muller did with Jackie Carmichael, and he had proven, not potential, talent.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » October 30th, 2014, 7:48 am

You may say I'm a dreamer... but (hopefully) I'm not the only one.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Grons » October 30th, 2014, 8:52 am

Matthew...you aren't the only one...trust me. This board seems to be riddled with people that are giving ISU zero chance to win the Valley (or even be top 3). That's fine because confidence given by MVCfans doesn't help ISU (or any team for that matter) win more games.

I think UNI needs to calm down a bit, they didn't win anything last year besides first loser. UNI fans need to understand that we are not intimidated by their them, nor are our players. You have some solid players in Tuttle and Washpun...and I like your transfer from Virginia. I wish you the best of luck but if you are penciling yourself in as the only contender to WSU, you have another thing coming.

WSU, I see your backcourt.... and it's among the best in the nation. I love FVV. Watched him when he was in high school, the guy is league bound. Baker always delivers that dagger and is a solid ball player. Cotton too. You did lose Cleanthony Early though...I saw him on TV last night playing for the New York Knicks. It will be interesting to see how you replace that production. Every team in the MVC better respect WSU, and most teams will fear WSU. Crowing them MVC champs before the season starts? Not from this guy. 8-)

I wish you all the best of luck this upcoming season. :Cheers:
Grons
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball