MVC Preseason selections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Preseason selections

Postby Born2Shock » October 29th, 2014, 1:47 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Born2Shock wrote: 1 or 2 losses is STILL going to win the league. 3 probably will too.

But for which team... ;)

What team is making up 8!!! games on the Shox? Math it out...you can do it.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jturner38 » October 29th, 2014, 2:02 pm

For one I dont think the other coaches voted with the mindset of Muller's. It's a preseason poll so ppl vote differently. Vote where you think teams will end up at the end of the season (Muller)? Or Vote as in right now where do teams stand? Does this include all injuries? I think this is being made into nothing. If Muller doesn't meet expectations well he will just look like a fool especially if they degress (Redbirds shouldnt)
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » October 29th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Born2Shock wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:
Born2Shock wrote: 1 or 2 losses is STILL going to win the league. 3 probably will too.

But for which team... ;)

What team is making up 8!!! games on the Shox? Math it out...you can do it.

It actually was only 6gms & there have been teams in the conference in the last 10 years who have improved their conference record by more than 6 games from 1 year to the next.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » October 29th, 2014, 3:48 pm

mathewson10 wrote:It actually was only 6gms & there have been teams in the conference in the last 10 years who have improved their conference record by more than 6 games from 1 year to the next.

You are looking at everything in a vacuum. It just doesn't work that way.

1. Do you expect the team that finished 6 games back to be better or worse this year? Do you expect their league record to be better or worse this year? The team that finished with 6 league losses cannot improve by more than 6 games anyway, so I'm not sure what your point is, nor do I think you know what your point is.

2. The 8 number comes from who many expect to be a strong challenger to WSU this year --- UNI. In my mind it's easy to rationalize that (a)WSU overachieved in the conf. W/L column by 1-2 games last year, (b)UNI underachieved in the conf. W/L column by 1-2 games last year, (c) WSU could be 1-2 conf. wins less talented this year compared to the league, (d) UNI could be 1-2 conf. wins more talented this year compared to the league. Using that rationale, I can see UNI catching or even passing WSU this year in the league standings. It may not be what I believe will happen, but I don't think it's crazy. Given what I know about the other teams in the league, I can't get any of the other scenarios to make much sense at all.

The 10 number comes from the improvement needed by the team whose coach voted them first. I'm not contending that Lansing or Jacobson said something unfounded, I'm contending that Muller did.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » October 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm

This hyperbole is a bunch of krap. I really don't care if this coach who hasn't done anything picks his team first. I have more respect at this time for the other teams in the league because they seem to respect the game more than ISUR fans, etc. who run their mouths and then have never backed it up. Everyone in the league has some talent but this is what I want to see this year from everyone who says that they are serious about the importance of this league.

Just go out in the preaseason and win games against good teams so our conference has a chance to gain some respect from outside the league and doesn't just ride the coat tails of Wichita State. My main concern is that those who talk big can back it up with wins in the preconference season. Then when it is followed up with Wichita State wins, it can be a gain for our entire conference. Some teams pre-conference schedules don't' lead me to good conclusions in this area. Just stop talking until you do something to talk about.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » October 29th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Geezo can we petition to start the season early? This crap really gets old.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 29th, 2014, 5:56 pm

I think Muller's vote begs an interesting question.

Who (non-WSU) believes their team will WIN the regular season title? Not make a run at it, but is willing to put even money on line for an outright MVC title.

Who is willing to take the field (minus the team you root for) over WSU for a regular season title? Even money.

All takers speak up now and let us know your feelings.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » October 29th, 2014, 8:18 pm

mvcfan wrote:Just go out in the preaseason and win games against good teams so our conference has a chance to gain some respect from outside the league and doesn't just ride the coat tails of Wichita State. My main concern is that those who talk big can back it up with wins in the preconference season. Then when it is followed up with Wichita State wins, it can be a gain for our entire conference. Some teams pre-conference schedules don't' lead me to good conclusions in this area. Just stop talking until you do something to talk about.

Yeah I said the same thing in 97 & 98 but nobody really followed suit.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » October 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Wufan wrote:I think Muller's vote begs an interesting question.

Who (non-WSU) believes their team will WIN the regular season title? Not make a run at it, but is willing to put even money on line for an outright MVC title.

Who is willing to take the field (minus the team you root for) over WSU for a regular season title? Even money.

All takers speak up now and let us know your feelings.

I think UNI makes a serious run at it, but wouldn't put money on an outright title right now.

I wouldn't put money on ANYONE, other than UNI, to challenge WSU for the title.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » October 29th, 2014, 8:54 pm

What the hell, a healthy Bears team could pose a dangerous threat. The Illinois State (penitentiary) RedBird Rehabilitation program ends up exceeding everyone's wildest expectations and (literally) kicks their way to the top. And just because I don't actually plan on putting $$ on this, #Martyball becomes all the Twitter rage on college campus' as DJ and "the Edge" ball like its 1999 as the Evansville Moving Screens screen their way to the conference screen. Screen.

Okay now that I have that out of my system, I have to believe the MVC as a whole didn't get worse from last year to now. It's going to be one heck of a battle and at this point I just hope everyone starts out the year on an 11-13 game win streak. I really hope UNI has all the necessary pieces fall into place that vault them over this hump of mediocrity they seem stuck on and not only challenge WSU, squeeze into the rankings and return to the tourney, but actually make a meaningful run to end the careers of some very special stars. I think several teams are very capable of this same feat but it's a matter of taking care of business in the non-con and shedding the dead weights that sink to the bottom of the conference (no offense guys...)
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball