National Rankings 2014-2015

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: National Rankings 2014-2015

Postby Wufan » December 8th, 2014, 9:38 pm

achrist70 wrote:Is that a serious question?

Yes, in 2010, 2006 are the most recent, I believe also in 2005 as well.

On another board, somebody posted all of the times that an MVC team had been ranked in the last 35 years and didn't list any from UNI. As such, I was curious since I would have thought they would have a previous ranking. Thanks for responding!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » December 9th, 2014, 1:21 am

I decided to take a look at UNI's schedule to see which MVC team will get the chance to "Evansville" them after they blow through VCU and Iowa and open up conference play undefeated and start getting mentioned in every single ESPN article. Sure enough, the first MVC team they play is.....Evansville.

I put the chance at UNI getting Evansville'd at about 95%.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » December 9th, 2014, 5:48 am

Evansville right now is sitting on an RPI of 95 with a forcasted RPI of 69. A loss to a top 100 RPI team would not be that devastating to UNI's at large chances, especially since that game coming up is at Evansville. Right now, Evansville has done too well this year to this point to Evansville anybody.

Part of the definition of Evansvilleing another team is that your RPI is so bad that it is a horrible loss for the other team. There are plenty of teams in the Valley that are bad enough that a loss to them will really hurt, but Evansville is not one of them. It would sting, but would not torpedo an at large chance all by itself.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » December 9th, 2014, 5:59 am

Honestly, if we have two ranked teams come conference play, Evansville could set themselves up for an at large by going 14-4 and splitting with UNI and WSU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » December 9th, 2014, 9:10 am

Nice to see two teams ranked. The mentions of the last time it happened made me think about Creighton. And as a fan of the team that caught all kinds of grief for being "the school that replaced Creighton," I just thought I'd point out that as of today Loyola's RPI is 82, and Creighton's is 86.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » December 9th, 2014, 9:17 am

Rambler63 wrote:Nice to see two teams ranked. The mentions of the last time it happened made me think about Creighton. And as a fan of the team that caught all kinds of grief for being "the school that replaced Creighton," I just thought I'd point out that as of today Loyola's RPI is 82, and Creighton's is 86.

Keep bringing it!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 9th, 2014, 9:30 am

Rambler63 wrote:Nice to see two teams ranked. The mentions of the last time it happened made me think about Creighton. And as a fan of the team that caught all kinds of grief for being "the school that replaced Creighton," I just thought I'd point out that as of today Loyola's RPI is 82, and Creighton's is 86.

Good stuff. Also amusing is that Loyola is the quality win currently keeping 6-3 Michgan State in the Top 25.

Funny how they didn't let WSU count Valley wins as "quality wins" last year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » December 10th, 2014, 4:10 am

LanceShock wrote:Evansville right now is sitting on an RPI of 95 with a forcasted RPI of 69. A loss to a top 100 RPI team would not be that devastating to UNI's at large chances, especially since that game coming up is at Evansville. Right now, Evansville has done too well this year to this point to Evansville anybody.

Part of the definition of Evansvilleing another team is that your RPI is so bad that it is a horrible loss for the other team. There are plenty of teams in the Valley that are bad enough that a loss to them will really hurt, but Evansville is not one of them. It would sting, but would not torpedo an at large chance all by itself.

I've always used Evansvilling as more than just ruining at-large chances. It's anything that spoils another team's fun and then Evansville hanging their hat on that. An example would be Evansville winning on our senior night during the Final Four season. How many times has that been brought up? Most of the teams in the conference (not Illinois State or Loyola) have had some sort of success in the last ten years. Whether that success be making the NCAA tournament or winning a conference championship. Evansville's success is measured on beating Wichita States or let's say, a Top 15, undefeated UNI.

FWIW I don't hate Evansville and would love for them to lose 4 games or less in conference and snag an at-large bid and help put Evansvilling to rest, or at least get it a new definition. It's just a shame Marty didn't give them a better chance to do it by putting together a decent schedule.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » December 10th, 2014, 3:27 pm

If Loyola can be a top 100 RPI team this year, we're going to love you guys.

The only grief is focused on teams that don't perform. If Loyola's performing, and trending upwards, there's nothing bad to say.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » December 10th, 2014, 3:57 pm

rlh04d wrote:

If Loyola can be a top 100 RPI team this year, we're going to love you guys.

The only grief is focused on teams that don't perform. If Loyola's performing, and trending upwards, there's nothing bad to say.

Very true. With a top 100 RPI, a loss to Loyola would not a crippling blow to at large chances. A loss to Bradley or Drake with RPIs over 250 could crush a teams at large hopes.

The Valley is actually back to being as strong as it was with Creighton at the top, and it is looking like Creighton would not be any stronger than Loyola is. The problem is at the bottom.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball