National Rankings 2014-2015

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: National Rankings 2014-2015

Postby valleychamp » December 1st, 2014, 7:09 pm

2livewu wrote:While I'd be thrilled to see another Valley team ranked, I don't believe UNI has done anything to be ranked except win more games than most everyone has played at this point. I'm not knocking them, but is Richmond their best win? Beat VCU and split with Iowa and Denver and I'm on board. I would be surprised to find out that more than a handful of Panther fans think they are 1 of the 25 best teams in the country, at least right now.

Garbage.

UNI is undefeated, hammered VT, hammered NW, beat probable tourney team Richmond, and ended one of the longest home court winning streaks in the country. We havent played Duke or Kentucky, but short of that, it's about as impressive of a resume as a team like UNI can put together in the first two weeks of a basketball season.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » December 1st, 2014, 8:25 pm

Wichita should want us to be ranked to fight the narrative that the league is horrible and the great record doesn't mean anything.

Really dumb post, dude.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » December 1st, 2014, 8:43 pm

The SOS isn't great right now but UNI has certainly taken care of business in all 8 of their games. Richmond is a really good offensive team and UNI suffocated them. SFA returned a lot of experience from that very strong team as well. I also think NW turns things around as the season goes on with all those freshmen and sophomores. Probably won't do a ton of damage in the B1G but I think they'll be better than expected.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 1st, 2014, 9:26 pm

Still need to move up one more spot for the purposes of recognition. I'm hopeful that UNI gets there and stays there! Keep rolling!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » December 2nd, 2014, 7:39 am

early season rankings are based on last years results combined with this season's expectations. Since UNI is a newcomer to the polls, they have a lot more to prove to the voters to both get into and then stay in the polls. WSU had to go through the same barriers and it can be difficult teetering on the edge as any loss will plummet you back into obscurity. UNI just has to keep winning, so far they're looking pretty good.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 2nd, 2014, 9:44 am

COUTEAU wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
2livewu wrote:While I'd be thrilled to see another Valley team ranked, I don't believe UNI has done anything to be ranked except win more games than most everyone has played at this point. I'm not knocking them, but is Richmond their best win? Beat VCU and split with Iowa and Denver and I'm on board. I would be surprised to find out that more than a handful of Panther fans think they are 1 of the 25 best teams in the country, at least right now.

Ummmm, @SFA. They only won 30 game. Last year and had won 34 straight at home.

We're deserving.

Not to mention, UNI has beaten a BIG 10, ACC, and A10 team.
Think they're well deserving to be ranked.
Wanna go that route...really?
Who, then has SHOX beaten to ranked 8th?
Shouldn't be questioning any rankings that The VALLEY can get, no matter what school.
Nothing between UNI and WSU means anything until Jan. 31.
Should be happy for them and proud of the conference.

I think UNI is right about where they should be. They have grinded out a lot of wins in a short period to start the season. A couple of those wins are decent. That'll get you on the cusp, which is where they are. I do think we need to take it easy on the "rah rah we beat an ACC and a BIG10 team." That's true, but those teams sucked. If you want to act like all P5 teams are above you, go ahead, but I gave up on that long ago. UNI should have been significantly favored in both of those games. Now, I'm not bashing the schedule, I think it's fine, power to them for getting those games, and then taking care of business.

If you would like to question WSU's schedule, I would be happy to entertain you. I can name one team in the entire country that, in the first week of December, is still undefeated, and has only played NCAA tournament teams from last year. I would be interested to know if there is another one of those teams.

Keep it rolling, UNI. Hopefully you can take care of business this week, and WSU can do the same. If that happens, there should be a spot open in the Top 25 just for you. I would LOVE to get to conference season with 2 teams ranked. It makes a huge difference. It makes an even bigger difference if those teams are firmly entrenched in the Top 25 and can sustain their rankings with a loss to each other.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » December 2nd, 2014, 10:55 am

.........."I think UNI is right about where they should be. They have grinded out a lot of wins in a short period to start the season. A couple of those wins are decent. That'll get you on the cusp, which is where they are. I do think we need to take it easy on the "rah rah we beat an ACC and a BIG10 team." That's true, but those teams sucked. If you want to act like all P5 teams are above you, go ahead, but I gave up on that long ago. UNI should have been significantly favored in both of those games. Now, I'm not bashing the schedule, I think it's fine, power to them for getting those games, and then taking care of business.

If you would like to question WSU's schedule, I would be happy to entertain you. I can name one team in the entire country that, in the first week of December, is still undefeated, and has only played NCAA tournament teams from last year. I would be interested to know if there is another one of those teams.

Keep it rolling, UNI. Hopefully you can take care of business this week, and WSU can do the same. If that happens, there should be a spot open in the Top 25 just for you. I would LOVE to get to conference season with 2 teams ranked. It makes a huge difference. It makes an even bigger difference if those teams are firmly entrenched in the Top 25 and can sustain their rankings with a loss to each other".....

I agree with 98.419% of what you've posted.
My comment was only to address why someone in a MVC discussion format would question a fellow (MVC) member being included in National polling.
As far as I know, no one in here has a vote on any of the national rankings.
If those that do, honor UNI and The VALLEY, with two schools, we all should be proud of whatever team is on that list, in the pre-MVC play......Not to question it....And, then expect students, alumni, and (or) fans of the second school, listed on that poll to not believe they belong, in the same breath with the other 24.
I understand fully that UNI, is not one of the 25.
However, I truly believe if UNI takes care of business, next Monday they will.
#24 Illinois has a really tough game in Coral Gables, #21 Maryland hosts #7 UVA, #14 Ohio State plays at #5 Louisville, #18 Arkansas at #20 Iowa State, TREES host #23 Butler and #17Michigan plays a always tough Syracuse.
Four, for sure and perhaps as many as 6 of the top 25 could fall this week, making room for UNI.

GO VALLEY
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » December 2nd, 2014, 1:47 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
BCPanther wrote:

Ummmm, @SFA. They only won 30 game. Last year and had won 34 straight at home.

We're deserving.

Not to mention, UNI has beaten a BIG 10, ACC, and A10 team.
Think they're well deserving to be ranked.
Wanna go that route...really?
Who, then has SHOX beaten to ranked 8th?
Shouldn't be questioning any rankings that The VALLEY can get, no matter what school.
Nothing between UNI and WSU means anything until Jan. 31.
Should be happy for them and proud of the conference.

valleychamp wrote:Garbage.

UNI is undefeated, hammered VT, hammered NW, beat probable tourney team Richmond, and ended one of the longest home court winning streaks in the country. We havent played Duke or Kentucky, but short of that, it's about as impressive of a resume as a team like UNI can put together in the first two weeks of a basketball season.

Okay, Pantherfan has been riled so let's analyze for a moment. All I said was that I didn't think UNI had done anything to deserve inclusion in the top 25 except win a lot of games, and they have played more than the average team so far. I didn't say they were a 200ish team at all. Top 25 is elite not just really, really good folks. I also said take 2 of the next 3 and I'm on board (suggesting that Mason is a done deal). I speculated Richmond was the best win...is that way off base?

First, can we agree North Dakota is terrible? There only win is over Alabama State and a non D1 school I won't look up. SFA was a nice win sure but SFA was hammered by both Baylor and Xavier admittedly neither at home like the UNI game. But it's certainly not the same SFA team as last year's 47 RPI team (or even close). Morgan State is bloody awful. Save a buzzer beat against Liberty and MSU is O-fer this year. North Florida is terrible too. Awful South Carolina beat them by 25.

So that's 4-0 against 3 pitiful probably near 300 RPI teams and one good solid win against a borderline top 100 team at best.

Now the red meat....Virginia Tech is picked 15th, dead last, in the ACC and it was near unanimous. Personally I think they're better than that and give UNI more credit for a 20 point win here but still, it's a bottom 1/4 ACC team. Northwestern is BAD. They're picked 13 out of 14 B10 teams and that's generous. They are not good at all. And whoever said Richmond is a probable tourney team is a heavy spray paint user. Picked 5th in a down A10 they are NOT getting an at large.

Now where in there is evidence the team (that was .500 last year) belongs amongst the best 25 teams in college basketball right now?

And in all seriousness, do you really think UNI is a better team right now than Connecticut, Oklahoma St, Providence, Virginia Commonwealth, Syracuse, Florida, Baylor for starters? These are all teams ranked behind UNI right now too.

Yes winning matters, and UNI has done all they can, but they haven't done much to prove anything beyond that they are better than the worst 200 or so teams. And all I did was assert that it's not enough, YET, to be considered top 25.

And to the other fan, I am happy they are winning and getting recognized because it IS good for the conference. BUT don't start questioning WSU being ranked, that makes you look beyond stupid.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » December 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

All fair points.

I think we're being helped a bit by our reputation as a solid mid-major program. I think that says a lot about what Greg McDermott and Ben Jacobson have done with the program. Take away that past success and our 7 wins might only get us a handful of votes instead of being #26.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 2livewu » December 2nd, 2014, 2:36 pm

unipanther99 wrote:All fair points.

I think we're being helped a bit by our reputation as a solid mid-major program. I think that says a lot about what Greg McDermott and Ben Jacobson have done with the program. Take away that past success and our 7 wins might only get us a handful of votes instead of being #26.

No doubt and deservedly so, just as WSU's success currently is bolstering the attention placed on UNI (as it was vice versa 5 or 6 years ago).
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball