Bradley Train Wreck

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Train Wreck

Postby squirrel » November 20th, 2014, 9:30 am

If anyone is being truly honest, Bradley is in the Drake and Evansville category. We've been a play-in team 8 of the last 13 years, and as a play-in team have only won 1 game.

If we're going to go in to our past, let's get Orsborn back.
Last edited by squirrel on November 20th, 2014, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » November 20th, 2014, 9:34 am

saluki762 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
squirrel wrote:While I agree and understand what you are saying, Geno inherited a joke program

I'm really confused by this first sentence, coming immediately after a post saying Bradley was a top 3-4 team in the Valley before Geno got there.

A joke program or a joke team? Those two are very different.

Bradley hasn't been a top 3-4 program in at least in 25 years. Bradley has been, prior to Ford an average program, not a joke but not top 3-4. This is what allows those numbers to look like they do, they were able to escape being terrible but they were never great. One conference championship in 25 years does not make a top 3-4 program.

CU, WSU, UNI and SIU are the top tier over the last 25 years.

MSU, ISU red, ISU blue and Bradley make the next tier.

Drake and Evansville are at the bottom.

Valley Championships the last 25 years...obviously this isn't the only measure, but a start:
Creighton: 6 regular season, 10 tournament= 16
SIU: 8 regular season, 4 tournament= 12
ISUR: 4 regular season, 3 tournament= 7
UNI: 2 regular season, 3 tournament= 5
WSU: 3 regulars season, 1 tournament= 4
Tulsa: 2 regular season, 1 tournament= 3
ISUB: 1 regular season, 2 tournament= 3
Drake: 1 regular season, 1 tournament= 2
MSU: 1 regular season, 1 tournament= 1
Evansville: 1 regular season, 0 tournament= 1
Bradley: 1 regular season, 0 tournament= 1
Loyola: 0
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan42 » November 20th, 2014, 9:42 am

squirrel wrote:If anyone is being truly honest, Bradley is in the Drake and Evansville category. We've been a play-in team 8 of the last 13 years, and as a play-in team have only won 1 game.

WOW... Didnt realize it was that bad but you are absolutely correct.

The Les and Ford eras have produced 8 of 13 play in seasons. Thats gross
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » November 20th, 2014, 9:43 am

squirrel wrote:If anyone is being truly honest, Bradley is in the Drake and Evansville category. We've been a play-in team 8 of the last 13 years, and as a play-in team have only won 1 game.

Yup

In fact, you can make a strong argument our only success came when we basically hitched a ride on the Valley's back in '06. Now, obviously we won the 2 games once we were there, so credit should be given. But we were there mostly on the strength of everyone else, not anything special we did either in the non-con or even conference play. If you transpose that 06 team to another year where the Valley RPI isn't as strong, and it's not a tourney team.

This is the long way of me pointing out that BU has been in the bottom tier of the MVC the past decade and two games are blinding everyone of that fact.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » November 20th, 2014, 9:54 am

Sooooo..... now what? Will Geno make it to March? Should he? Does it help anything for him to be gone before then? Is there some number of wins they can still grab to save his job?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan42 » November 20th, 2014, 9:56 am

saluki762 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
squirrel wrote:While I agree and understand what you are saying, Geno inherited a joke program

I'm really confused by this first sentence, coming immediately after a post saying Bradley was a top 3-4 team in the Valley before Geno got there.

A joke program or a joke team? Those two are very different.

Bradley hasn't been a top 3-4 program in at least in 25 years. Bradley has been, prior to Ford an average program, not a joke but not top 3-4. This is what allows those numbers to look like they do, they were able to escape being terrible but they were never great. One conference championship in 25 years does not make a top 3-4 program.

CU, WSU, UNI and SIU are the top tier over the last 25 years.

MSU, ISU red, ISU blue and Bradley make the next tier.

Drake and Evansville are at the bottom.

This is incorrect. As Squirrel pointed out its been the last 13 or 14 years..

Jim Molinari years 3 - 11

3. 23 - 8, 14 - 4, 2nd place, NIT
4. 20-10, 12- 6, 4th Place NIT
5. 22 - 8, 15 - 3, 1st place NCAA
6. 17 - 13, 12 - 6, T2nd place, NIT
7. 15 - 14, 9 - 9, 5th place (no post season but in todays world would be cbi, cit)
8. 17-12, 11-7, T2nd place, NIT
9. 14 - 16, 10 - 8, 5th place (this team under achieved and got Mo under some unfair heat)
10. 19 - 12, 12 - 6, T2nd place NIT (Hell of a bounce back year, a jerome robinson quit job from ncaa)
11. 5 - 13, 9 - 20, 8th place (Loaded young talent would have been back to respectibility the next year.

Point being during the Mo era we were definitley a top 3 - 4 program.

Seriously, we fired this guy??? wtf

Had an 8 year run of top half finishes that included 5 1st or 2nds...
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » November 20th, 2014, 10:02 am

Yeah, the 1999-2000 season was really unfortunate. 2 JUCO transfers didn't blend well with what should have been a championship year.

Nevertheless, in 1999 the Braves were a missed three point shot in the air from sharing the regular season title with the Aces and in 2000 still were nearly part of a 4-way title share entering the final couple weeks of the season.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » November 20th, 2014, 10:46 am

This has probably been discussed before, but can someone rational explain why Bradley is so bad right now? Is there a complete lack of talent? I got the impression there were some good players. Is Geno incompetent as a game coach ala Mark Phelps? Id he unable to get players to put out any effort? Is there any hope this can turn around in the next month?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » November 20th, 2014, 10:47 am

bufan42 wrote:This is incorrect. As Squirrel pointed out its been the last 13 or 14 years..

Jim Molinari years 3 - 11

3. 23 - 8, 14 - 4, 2nd place, NIT
4. 20-10, 12- 6, 4th Place NIT
5. 22 - 8, 15 - 3, 1st place NCAA
6. 17 - 13, 12 - 6, T2nd place, NIT
7. 15 - 14, 9 - 9, 5th place (no post season but in todays world would be cbi, cit)
8. 17-12, 11-7, T2nd place, NIT
9. 14 - 16, 10 - 8, 5th place (this team under achieved and got Mo under some unfair heat)
10. 19 - 12, 12 - 6, T2nd place NIT (Hell of a bounce back year, a jerome robinson quit job from ncaa)
11. 5 - 13, 9 - 20, 8th place (Loaded young talent would have been back to respectibility the next year.

Point being during the Mo era we were definitley a top 3 - 4 program.

Seriously, we fired this guy??? wtf

Had an 8 year run of top half finishes that included 5 1st or 2nds...
I was taking the last 25 years as a whole. That's fine if you want to look at it this way, they way I looked at it actually made Bradley look better than the argument you are presenting. If you want to look at only the last 2 coaches Bradley is bottom 3 and trending down.

The problem with rebuilding is that the 16 and 17 years old kids you are trying to recruit weren't born for your last regular season championship. Most of them are even to young to remember your S16 run. Same goes for SIU. Our good run is so long ago BH faces an uphill battle because most kids only remember the dumpster fire that SIU was the last 6 years. The advantage SIU seems to have right now is we have a coach that players get better under, BU doesn't appear to have that. As seen with the Dillard/Booker class, top 100 recruits don't mean squat if they never get better.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » November 20th, 2014, 10:51 am

Drakey wrote: Is Geno incompetent as a game coach ala Mark Phelps? Id he unable to get players to put out any effort? Is there any hope this can turn around in the next month?

I think your first question here is probably the closest to the real answer. To the second question, with this year's team that is yet to be seen. I'm a believer in in-season turnarounds, and there is precedent in his year 2 for getting effort...I remain hopeful, but with each passing game it gets tougher. We still have all but 2 games left to figure it out.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball