Bradley Train Wreck

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Train Wreck

Postby rlh04d » November 16th, 2014, 6:24 pm

squirrel wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
squirrel wrote:While I agree and understand what you are saying, Geno inherited a joke program

I'm really confused by this first sentence, coming immediately after a post saying Bradley was a top 3-4 team in the Valley before Geno got there.

A joke program or a joke team? Those two are very different.

Don't be misled by a post from a middle-aged man who has 6 posters of Jimmy in nut huggers in their bedroom.

Haha.

Well, in general, I'm glad I'm not in the position to have to decide whether extenuating circumstances should give Geno more time.

You've got a couple options there. Maybe you're right, and Geno had significant circumstances working against him that held back what would be a normal development for his program, and you should give him a few more years. Or maybe you're wrong, and you're going to be looking at six or seven seasons paying a coach the second (?) highest MVC salary while finishing under .500 every single season in the worst Valley period in years. And potentially still being in the same boat regarding recruiting classes then.

But at this point Ford's got his guys as seniors and it still doesn't look good.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BU fan » November 16th, 2014, 7:11 pm

squirrel wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
squirrel wrote:While I agree and understand what you are saying, Geno inherited a joke program

I'm really confused by this first sentence, coming immediately after a post saying Bradley was a top 3-4 team in the Valley before Geno got there.

A joke program or a joke team? Those two are very different.

Don't be misled by a post from a middle-aged man who has 6 posters of Jimmy in nut huggers in their bedroom.

In other words, don't pay any attention to the actual facts, just listen to his delusional rants. :roll:

No matter how badly the Jim Les-haters want to revise history, the fact is that Bradley program was in good shape, coming off 5 winning seasons out of 6 (the only losing season when 2 All-MVC starters went down for the full year), averaging nearly 20 wins per season over Les' last 6 seasons, and setting records for total home attendance and setting records that may never be broken for fundraising and revenues (all without ever having the advantage of using the new, state-of-the-art facilities he helped build). His kids also set academic records and graduated, and and his top salary was half of what Bradley is now paying Geno for losing a record 62 games over his first 3 seasons.
The only reason he was fired was because he didn't kiss the Pres' ass, and everyone knows that. The reason some peripheral Bradley fans, like the ones who post here pretending to be real fans, now want to revise history and look for anyone else to blame, is because they wanted the last coach fired, and now that they got what they wanted, Bradley is 100 times worse off. The damage done is immeasurable and probably irreversible. The great majority of real Bradley fans have had enough of the Joanne and Mike show. That's why attendance Friday barely reached 3000 actual fans, and won't likely even do much better the rest of the season. The remnants of the damage the Pres and AD have has done are a pitiful shell of what was once a great basketball program.
BU fan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Valleyball » November 16th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Tired of Bradleyfans ? Nobody left to talk to? :Stupid:
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BU fan » November 16th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Valleyball wrote:Tired of Bradleyfans ? Nobody left to talk to? :Stupid:

I do not know what you are talking about. I have been a member here a lot longer than you or most posters here.
I didn't know I needed your permission to post. As I said, facts are facts. People are entitled to their own opinions, but they can't make up their own facts.
BU fan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby squirrel » November 17th, 2014, 8:16 am

I was in a band once called Delusional Rants. I had no idea you were a fan.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » November 17th, 2014, 11:28 am

I would have been fine with giving Les another year but a strong case could have been made for his firing too. 9 years and never finishing in the top 3 is hard to swallow, although to be fair the Valley was loaded for most of his tenure and a 5th place team in 2006 would challenge for the title in 2000 or 2010. He also had some bad luck with injuries. Losing Maniscalco and Brown was a killer but at the same time that really exposed the lack of depth. And let's not forget those 20 win seasons near the end of his tenure were padded by runs in the CBI and CIT and were hardly cause for celebration. We went from Sweet 16 --> NIT --> CBI --> CIT --> .500 --> Awful in an amazingly linear regression. It became difficult to see how Les could take us to the next level.

Ford was a good hire on paper but he needs to produce this year. I'm holding out hope the additions of Barnes and Sutherland will make us good but I don't see them making us as good as I was expecting (ie top half of the conference, maybe challenge for 3rd). I'm afraid Sutherland being a JUCO will probably need an adjustment period that could extend into conference season. If it doesn't work out just hire the next best and brightest guy on paper, and do whatever it takes to hold onto Chin (including giving him the interim tag) so we don't lose all this talent.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » November 17th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Mikovio wrote: Losing Maniscalco and Brown was a killer but at the same time that really exposed the lack of depth.

Right. A huge part of the problem was putting way too many eggs in that basket, when neither one of them were going to be great league players anyway.

We are at a dangerous crossroads.

Once Molinari started winning (1994), his average league finish was 2nd. Since he only got to 1 NCAA Tournament and had some bad early NIT exits, and fueled the the notion people thought the style was boring, we hired a stockbroker.

Then, it was perfectly okay to not even crack the Top 3, even with NBA talent in the fold.

To most, it wasn't acceptable before, and it remains unacceptable. However, when that mentality was allowed to purvey and enable incompetence for a decade, the fix can be a slower process than some would like.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Heinro » November 18th, 2014, 10:46 am

Fire Ford. Hire Steve Masiello of Manhattan.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » November 18th, 2014, 11:20 am

Heinro wrote:Fire Ford. Hire Steve Masiello of Manhattan.

1. Did he ever get his degree?
2. Does BU care?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » November 18th, 2014, 11:34 am

Yes Masiello graduated in August: http://online.wsj.com/articles/steve-ma ... 1414778350

I think the school tends to value the academic side of things perhaps at the expense of athletics, so a detail like that they would care about. However, I think they would care that he lied about it, not necessarily that he lacked the degree. I think those are two separate issues.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball